An interface feature wishlist

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Aaron_Lloyd

An interface feature wishlist

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

So while I was playing last night I noticed a number of potential interface features that would be possibly really nice/useful (I'll do my best to try from going full Dzine on this :P ). I would normally make a Github issue for a feature request but there's quite a few, hopefully it's alright if I list them here.
  • Parsing out Joined/Left messages in the Global chat
    I think there's an issue right now with people ignoring the Global chat because 90% of the messages seem to be Joined/Left messages. Completely removing these messages from the Global chat would be ideal, but if that's not possible atleast not having these messages trigger the notifier (little number on the Global Chat tab) would be nice so that people will be able to more easily see if anything's being said.
  • A no new joiners option
    It'd be nice if there was a way for the Admin to be able to stop anyone new joining the server. The 'No Specs' option is nice but if there are already specs in the server that you want to keep but just don't want anyone else joining and bogging things down it'd be convenient to just be able to stop further people from joining with a lobby checkbox.
  • A "make Admin" button
    Also another nice lobby feature would be to have a button (maybe next to the kick button) that would make that player the new Admin. Would be much better than the current option of having to leave the server to make someone else Admin.
  • A "move to Spec" button
    Another button for the lobby that would move someone slotted in a playing slot to a spec slot. Would be useful for players who are AFK but would probably still want to watch the game when they get back and not be left out.
  • Give the admin a 'Ready' checkbox even when in a spectator slot
    At present an admin who is speccing has no way to keep the players from starting the game themselves, possibly before everything is properly setup (eg crates turned off, right map).
  • Global Chat access for in-game Specs
    Would be useful I think. Specs in-game could keep players who are waiting appraised of when their game might finish and there'd be new players to join the ones waiting. Or specs could see who's come online to join the next game.
  • Spectator chat colours
    Would be nice for spectators to have the ability to choose colours in the lobby just like players so that they can have differentiating colours in the chat.
Other personal wishlist items I have have already been suggested and I which believe are being worked on would be game filter permanency, improved spectator stats presentation, and spec team chat.
Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

These are all good ideas. The first one has already been fixed (#10334). I created a ticket for the third and fourth points (#10379). We are already planning to expand the global chat ingame for everyone.

dzine

Post by dzine »

agreed, lots of good ideas

the old microsoft game zone lobby was the most practical lobby ive used posted a screenshot elsewhere

you had 50 game rooms arranged in a grid with global chat at the bottom

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Loving all of these.

I'd like to see a bigger lobby screen as well. With all the new features it's getting a bit small.

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

@SoScared: Would something like that would please you ?

(more room for columns and the Browse and Refresh buttons have more space between them).

IMO, it's more important to have a bigger UI rather than being able to see the shellmap..

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@xanax

That looks delicious! That size could also make the match lobby look better, especially with lots of players - less scrolling and/or more chat space.