The "Enemy detected" alert sound

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Do you think this audio alert is necessary and must be kept in the game?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 14

winftw

The "Enemy detected" alert sound

Post by winftw »

In the latest release an audio alert was added to the Dune 2000 and Red Alert mods that plays whenever an enemy unit is in your vision.
I'd prefer it be removed from the next release. Cast some votes and let the developers know if you'd like it removed as well.

Reasons:
- The alert is annoying. Yes, I already know there are enemies in enemy base for christ's sake :roll:
- Sneaking is discouraged. Nerfs all tactics that aren't a head-on brute force attack (e.g. engineer, tanya, spy, grenadier, paradrop, chrono, demo truck)
- Unfair disadvantage for those that play openra in a noisy environment

The game was perfectly fine before the alert was added. Why was it considered necessary in the first place?

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

not a fan of it!

newwe

Post by newwe »

I'm not even a sneaker and I don't like it.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

I'm a trolling sneakers and I disapprove of this :lol:
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

zinc

Post by zinc »

Don't like it at all.

The warning that your "base is under attack" is enough.

JOo

Post by JOo »

i agree with winft and zinc here ...

The warning that your "base is under attack" is enough.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Just leave it as something for campaign/standalone missions. It's entirely unnecessary for skirmishes or PvP.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

We actually removed the announcements from all red alert missions: #8352 :P

penev

Post by penev »

I am actually curious as to how you people do "sneaking" if these notifications ruin it for you. :?

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Well, not everyone looks at the radar all the time, so yea, I can understand how these detection sounds do ruin the surprise effect.

penev

Post by penev »

Forget the radar. My point is that with or without the notifications, how do you make a "sneak attack" without a distraction?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Drop Tanya with a helicopter behind enemy base, walk her into the base and blow up a couple buildings before she gets shot.

With the enemy detected the transportheli probably already gets detected, but say you manage to go through shroud only, then the moment Tanya walks in the base she will ring an alarm and gets shot much quicker.

Also a paradrop can go unnoticed longer. And, well the list goes on.

penev

Post by penev »

OK, and how does those work if your opponent is not out for coffee at the time?
It now requires you to have a 1-man distraction at the very least, and the notification gets nullified, because your enemy is distracted - something you should have been doing without the notification anyway. Otherwise you are just relying on luck and on your enemy being afk.

winftw

Post by winftw »

penev wrote: OK, and how does those work if your opponent is not out for coffee at the time?
It now requires you to have a 1-man distraction at the very least, and the notification gets nullified, because your enemy is distracted - something you should have been doing without the notification anyway. Otherwise you are just relying on luck and on your enemy being afk.
Players that go "out for coffee" deserve to get punished for it. There is no excuse why they shouldn't. Even skilled players need to be allowed to overlook something. But actually I think the alert hardly affects gameplay. I just find it highly annoying to hear.

How about..
Different announcer levels option?
E.g.
Level 1: Announcer disabled
Level 2: Only "abomb launch detected"
Level 3: Abomb, silos needed, base under attack
Level 4: All speech notifications

Although I don't really like "enemy detected" being an option. Ehh nevermind actually this levels idea blows. I'll leave it here anyway just because. :lol:

penev

Post by penev »

Well if people find it annoying - I can't argue with that.
I just don't consider "it gives my enemy an unfair advantage, because reasons" to be a valid argument, because it can be so easily nullified.