What makes a map good?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

What makes a map good?

Post by noobmapmaker »

So what should good maps have?

Some of my observations:
- a map that has different planes to mirror it allows different team configurations (instead of only north vs south)
- I personally like maps with many irregularities and scenery. Both do seem to add to the game in terms of hiding stuff and slight advantages that can be used for tactical advantages

Personal dislike:
- maps with so much money (oil) that it really doesnt matter much how you build your base

What do you think a good map should have?

newwe

Re: What makes a map good?

Post by newwe »

noobmapmaker wrote: So what should good maps have?

Some of my observations:
- a map that has different planes to mirror it allows different team configurations (instead of only north vs south)
- I personally like maps with many irregularities and scenery. Both do seem to add to the game in terms of hiding stuff and slight advantages that can be used for tactical advantages

Personal dislike:
- maps with so much money (oil) that it really doesnt matter much how you build your base

What do you think a good map should have?
Pretty much agree you all your points.

I also dislike maps with destructible bridges b/c of the potential lag, as well as maps with a lot of really thin pathways/base building areas.
Last edited by newwe on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Asymmetry. That way the whole map can offer different advantages in different areas, instead of just being some poxy mirror-match.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Asymmetry. That way the whole map can offer different advantages in different areas, instead of just being some poxy mirror-match.
Yes, I like those more too. Symmetric maps also have the disadvantage that it is easy to see who is ahead. If one army has occupied more space then they are probably ahead and this encourages some (new) players to surrender/disconnect while sometimes the battle isnt over yet. With assymmetric maps this is a bit harder to see.

So what else makes a map good?

I guess it depends on the purpose of the map as well. The goal of a map could be to:
- make players deal with little space
- make players deal with low cash
- be a tournamentmap (must be symmetrical?)

Another thing I like is when maps encourage players to go naval as well.

Another good aspect is when maps allow more than one strategy, or when it is built in such a way that it allows tactical manouvers. For instance to add beaches behind bases where transports can unload.

JOo

Post by JOo »

that here is probably one of the best looking maps ive seen on OpenRA-Resource-Center :
(other then that , its too big for a 2v2 ... and bad access for armys in the middle)

http://resource.openra.net/maps/1261/

a shame nobody plays it

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Here's a map Ive made recently. Looks nice and gives fun games (sofar). Some say the small roads give lag, but most games I have played on it had little lag. 4v4 is a bit heavy though. I've created 8 startingplacs so that people can choose from various spots.

Description
The Kingdom of The Netherlands - AT WAR!!

A map that was designed to match the Netherlands, including the economy and terrain. A completely balanced map was not the priority, but every spot should be able to get somewhere.

Map is suited for Free For All, 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3. Up to you where to start! :)

JOo

Post by JOo »

yes , all the bridges and mud-transitions can cause a mess when microing units ... but it looks pretty good ... i would like to see actually maps without "any" oil derrick ... or gem-mines ... only with ore and oremines .. same like westwood did ...

deniz1a

Post by deniz1a »

What do you think about my map here:

Proving Ground 2
Attachments
pg2.jpg
pg2.jpg (137.71 KiB) Viewed 11490 times

JOo

Post by JOo »

@deniz1a : its a green rectangle ... with gems left and right ... and water around ... theres no work behind it ... every kid could do this in 5 minutes ... and its just another mutation from all the other divides

you can clearly see the lack of creativity

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

JOo wrote: @deniz1a : its a green rectangle ... with gems left and right ... and water around ... theres no work behind it ... every kid could do this in 5 minutes ... and its just another mutation from all the other divides

you can clearly see the lack of creativity
All the divide maps suck
#RealTalk

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Well... it's a certain type of map. And I do like to play it! But not to much.. Have to say that the original one, GOD's divide fixed, is the best imo. Any next Divide-map should have some really well designed feautures that make it unique and fun to play.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I play Small Divide 2 quite often. Yes it's a very simple map but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to play or a nice map.

zinc

Post by zinc »

noobmapmaker wrote: Have to say that the original one, GOD's divide fixed, is the best imo.
What does it mean "fixed"??

Was "great divide" the earliest divide map?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Im not sure as I'm relatively new to the community. But if Im right: there used to be a God's Divide, but it had a slight flaw. Descriptions says: "God's Great Divide w/o top cliff trick"

Appearantly there was a trick that defied the purpose of the map.

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

IMO - what makes a good map.

ANYTHING BUT GREAT DIVIDE

Identical spawn points is boring and stupid.
it is certainly possible to make any number of spawn points that are different and Balanced.
Balance over symmetry

no choke points...thats not to say leave everything open. but when you create an area you wish to channel armies through.. remember that the ai will not wait for other units to pass through, they will simply redirect to a completely different route and send the units into certain death (causing untold frustration to the players trying to micro.)

Large battle ares are a must. with lots of terrain features that can be used for cover and movement or flanking.

using the map MicroJOo posted as an example, apart from the spawn areas, the only places for a large 'force' battle are covered in trees or ore patches. the ore isnt so much of a problem, but the trees will turn any fight into 'Artillery wins'
the area around the mountains in the middle will play HAVOC on the pathfinding, splitting the army up to go above and below and even around the area completely.

spawn locations should (imo) have sufficient ore / oil reserves to atleast get you through mid game. i am heavily against 'forced expansion'. i.e you have enough ore for the first 10 minutes, then you have to risk everything to move out and expand.
oil derrics should be used alot more than they are i think. a good safe regular source of income, that adds some targets of strategic importance for the enemy to target ( instead of just buildings or units)

im no good at using naval units, and this really isnt something i think i have enough understanding about to comment on, but if you are going to have any form of lake or body of water, make it big enough to put some form of naval force into it, just to add to the possible units top use and different ways to defend.

the crystals should be used alot more than they currently do. especially now (assuming im right) that we have the crystal mines.

paths / roads should be used heavily.. but not just random stretches of road that lead to nowhere at all.

personally im against bridges, simply due to the mess they make when you try and send any sizeable force over them. (again chokepoints).

i had a big long rant at Microbit about why i didnt think that was the 'best' map (although it is very sexy looking ) im having trouble remembering some of the points i made. so keep in mind i will probably add more to this as it comes to mind.