Red Alert: Tiberium Origins MOD

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Thanks for the report eddie, I'll get right on it!

There must be a bug in the heavy support starting units most likely for the allies - it's a quick fix.

As for the crash - it states it can't find one of the mix files - it's possible I didn't pack the directory structure correctly.

Both cscores.mix and rascores.mix need to be copied in ~\OpenRA\mods\to\packages.

I forgot to set the cscores and rascores.mix files as optional in mod.yaml, so the game can start without them.

Fixed version will be up in ~30 mins or so.

Edited:

Ok, so the crash when starting with heavy support was caused by the allies:

Code: Select all

MPStartUnits@heavyallies:
		Class: heavy
		ClassName: Heavy Support
		Races: allies
		BaseActor: mcv
		SupportActors: e1,e1,e1,e3,e3,jeep,1tnk,2tnk,2tnk,amlrs # I removed AMLRS, it was a clone of MLRS
		InnerSupportRadius: 3
		OuterSupportRadius: 5
The crash when missing the music files pretains to mod.yaml. It has been fixed.

~cscores.mix #was cscores.mix
~rascores.mix 
Fixed version ( 0.25c) is up on ModDB.

eddie

Post by eddie »

Great work! I really like the new faction.

Some things I noticed:
- Sog has a Humvee as starting unit although it can not build Hummvees
- Tanja shows up in the Sog techtree but can not be build because the allied tech center is required.
- The new airdrop is pretty cool but the reload time is too long IMHO

I read somewhere (moddb?) that you had to remove the TD service depot. Is there no way to add it to GDI and Nod?

It would be really cool if you change the way GDI and NOD build units and buildings. At the moment there is only one queue for buildings and units no matter how many conyards or factories you've build. In the TD mod you have one queue per production building. It would be interesting to have the TD way for GDI and Nod and the RA way for allies and soviets. It would need proper balancing but it would allow complete different tactics within one game.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

eddie wrote: Great work! I really like the new faction.

Some things I noticed:
- Sog has a Humvee as starting unit although it can not build Hummvees
It's an oversight. I was pondering wether to give SoG the Jeep or the Hummer, and I stuck with the Jeep in the end. Will fix.

eddie wrote: - Tanja shows up in the Sog techtree but can not be build because the allied tech center is required.
Initially I wanted SoG to be able to build both Tania and the GDI commando since they are an elite allied faction, but for now I decided against it. Will try it out in the next release see how it goes.
eddie wrote: - The new airdrop is pretty cool but the reload time is too long IMHO
I tried 3 minutes, but it makes NOD kind of OP being able to spam vehicles all over the map like that... I might shorten it to 5 minutes - but if you tested it out you noticed just like I did that a proper airdrop can succesfully take out an enemy building or do serious damage and / or bolster base defence in case of emergency. The airdropped squad is quite e bit stronger than GDI and Soviet paratroopers. [/quote]
eddie wrote: I read somewhere (moddb?) that you had to remove the TD service depot. Is there no way to add it to GDI and Nod?
I removed it because it didn't work. Vehicles would not drive on top of a building for repairs unless it's called FIX in the rules file. It might be a missing trait, or a bug/limitation of the openRA engine. I copied the building exactly, applied the old c&c .shp file, and checked all traits so it should have been working. The cursor will show up indicating the vehicle should drive on it for repairs, but when you click on the depot it would just drive up next to it and sit there. It's not a game critical feature, so I didn't press on to find a solution.

eddie wrote: It would be really cool if you change the way GDI and NOD build units and buildings. At the moment there is only one queue for buildings and units no matter how many conyards or factories you've build. In the TD mod you have one queue per production building. It would be interesting to have the TD way for GDI and Nod and the RA way for allies and soviets. It would need proper balancing but it would allow complete different tactics within one game.
I don't think implementing that is possible. How actors (units) are built and categorized comprises the core of the mod, and as far as I can tell, what you are proposing is currently impossible. You can't have faction specific UI functionality. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine a way to make it work.

Interesting idea tough.

P.S. Thanks for the bug reports, and keep 'em comin' !

eddie

Post by eddie »

Why comes the GDI airfield (nice cameo!) with an A-10 but you can't build more of them? I just does not show up in the GDI build menu.

One more thing: If possible please make the AI use aircraft units.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

eddie wrote: Why comes the GDI airfield (nice cameo!) with an A-10 but you can't build more of them? I just does not show up in the GDI build menu.
Because I wrote down

Prerequisites: ~afld, ~builda10, ~techlevel.unrestricted #where afld is the soviet airfield instead of the gdi one (gfld) :( 
by mistake
eddie wrote: One more thing: If possible please make the AI use aircraft units.
Normal AI should use aircraft. . At least the soviet one does. Rush AI does not I probably didn't add the A10 in the AI units to build list so GDI might not use it.

I fixed both issues and will upload the fixed version this week along with some other changes.

Spoiler: Adding a Stealth Bomber to the Allies :D

Thanks again for letting me know.

eddie

Post by eddie »

I'm not sure if this is something you can do or if the devs have to look at it: after capturing more than two factions or enabling the build all cheat the build menu for vehicles is larger than the screen size. can you add a scrollbar to the build menu?

nod and soviets share the same cameo for their sam sites. Maybe add different ones as both sam sites look different.

Still looking forward to what you will come up with. TO is my favorite cnc mod.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

eddie wrote: I'm not sure if this is something you can do or if the devs have to look at it: after capturing more than two factions or enabling the build all cheat the build menu for vehicles is larger than the screen size. can you add a scrollbar to the build menu?
Nice find. This should be posted on GitHub. I'll get on it right away.

DONE: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/7159
eddie wrote: nod and soviets share the same cameo for their sam sites. Maybe add different ones as both sam sites look different.
It's an oversight. I'll make a new cameo for the soviet SAM.
eddie wrote: Still looking forward to what you will come up with. TO is my favorite cnc mod.
Thanks :) right now I'm working on new units. I added a tactical bomber to the Allies - it drops a mini-nuke on target. Costs 5000 to build, build limit is 1, and takes about 4 minutes to reload. Will also add a VTOL aircraft, an possibly a new jeep like unit.

eddie

Post by eddie »

Can you somehow prevent my anti air units like bazooka infantry from chasing after Nod's supply plane? They chase after them right into the enemy's base.
In the TD mod anti air units ignore the Nod airplane. At least I think so…

Matt

Post by Matt »

I have advertised your mod on our social media channels again.

I suggest you write a http://wiki.openra.net article to resolve https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/6992 as you can write it from the perspective of someone who was confused by it.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Cmd. Matt wrote: I have advertised your mod on our social media channels again.

I suggest you write a http://wiki.openra.net article to resolve https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/6992 as you can write it from the perspective of someone who was confused by it.
I'll make a full writeup with examples later today.
eddie wrote: Can you somehow prevent my anti air units like bazooka infantry from chasing after Nod's supply plane? They chase after them right into the enemy's base.
In the TD mod anti air units ignore the Nod airplane. At least I think so…
I'll look into it eddie. You are correct, in the original TD mod units ignored the C17.

Oh and Merry Christmas guys!

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

OK so I tried to post a guide on the wiki but editor's formating options pissed me off so much I gave up. If you want to post it. I'll give you a lump of text.

The code sections were all clumped up, and when I tried to mimic the example from above, it would clump up the wrong sections into "code" windows and not respect exact formatting (clump it all together deleting all spaces and paragraphs).

Remuneration

Post by Remuneration »

Great mod!) du you plan to add races from Dune2k?
and what about Redsun's races?

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Remuneration wrote: Great mod!) du you plan to add races from Dune2k?
and what about Redsun's races?
Thanks!

I will not be adding races from other games. This mod only has sides from the Command and Conquer universe, and is planned around a singleplayer campaign.

Matt

Post by Matt »

You may want to publish at http://www.desura.com/games/openra/mods for easy updates.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Cmd. Matt wrote: You may want to publish at http://www.desura.com/games/openra/mods for easy updates.
Will do.

I do have a question - is there any way to replace the shellmap in the main menu with an image? If so, how would I do that?