Allies Tech Tree

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Hiro

Allies Tech Tree

Post by Hiro »

Hey all, what do you think of this tech tree picture I've made? I'm pretty sure it's right (made it based on the yaml files) but let me know if something is off. It's a fairly simple design but I think it shows everything.
Attachments
Allies Tech Tree
Allies Tech Tree
Allies tech tree.png (324.25 KiB) Viewed 6356 times

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Hrm, I feel there is something missing.. But I can't quite place it. Might be my imagination.

Anyway, I like it. Make the Soviets version, too. :P

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

This doesn't include the satellite or anything like that, is that what you're thinking of?

I'm glad you like it. I always wondered why something like this didn't already exist (at least as far as I know) so I decided to make it haha. I have screenshots for the soviets one (I couldn't find the files in an easy to read format, I suspect they're locked away in funny legacy resource packages) so it can come when I get around to it. :P

At some point if I find myself with plenty of spare time (lol) I might try coding something to read the yaml files and make these automatically so it could be done for the other mods and be updated easily to reflect changes (and it could be viewable in-game too :D ). That would pave the way for an interactive version which you could click to see unit/building stats in a separate panel which would be really neat.

hamb

Post by hamb »

I really like this, although it's a bit spaced out (maybe that can't be helped). The glow you put around the icons is a nice touch as well.

What doesn't look right is the prerequisites path on the bottom, since helipad only requires radar dome as an example.

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Aye; I wanted to fit things to the grid to have a nice professional ("release worthy") style, but that did result in it being quite spaced out. I could do it differently if people agree it's a big issue?

I know what you mean with the prereq.s path. My idea was that only the tech centre is between the factory and dome, indicating it requires both whereas everything else is on one side or the other, but I can see how it would be confusing. The style I was going for didn't have directionality in the prerequisite lines but maybe there should be. What do you think?