Big Team Tournament

ideas for next tournament

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.

Idea 1, 2, or 3?

Idea 1
50%
Idea 2
13%
Idea 3
38%

Total votes: 8

Ripsn

Big Team Tournament

Post by Ripsn »

I have been mulling over a few ideas for our next tournament and would like to run some of them passed the wider OpenRA community

Idea 1.
Big Team Tournament.
A tournament made up using only two teams, both headed by a single Team Captain .
these Captains will choose fair a balanced teams out of the entry pool.
Once the teams have been selected, players will be able to pair up and play team games against the opposite side, or can organize 1 v 1.

in the interest of diversity, this tournament can be played using any OpenRA mod or map.
using Any start rules.

the only Pre-condition is that ALL MEMBERS OF THE MATCH BEING PLAYED agree that it is infact a tournament battle BEFORE the game starts, and all players in the match are entered in the tournament and are using their correct entry names (no outsiders).

The format will be something like 1 point for a win, and first team to 20 points wins.

i like this idea because it removes the problem that we have for every tournament, which is waiting for a single player to be online to play a certain game, which more or less ends the tournament with a non-played final.
being an open format allows for more players to get involved and contribute to the tournament playing a mod they enjoy.
noone will be restricted to a schedule or a game time that, due to real life, they are unable to make.

Idea 2.
We stick to the standard format and stipulate that all entries work out a schedule online that can be stuck to.

idea 3.
i also like the thought of adapting idea 1 into a 4 team event aswell

all CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK appreciated.
thanks

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

Ideas 1 & 3 sound cool, hard for me to really judge since i haven't played in any of the tournaments... yet >:D

JOo

Post by JOo »

i dont get it 100% ... so , idea 1 ..." A tournament made up using only two teams, ..." <- who decides which player plays for team a or b ?

so there is definitly 2 teams , both have a team captain ... i can choose one of them ... sounds like the "pros" will stack together ...

AgentAAA

Post by AgentAAA »

what's idea 4?

klaas

Post by klaas »

Option 3 with 4 teams:

Team Knödel (all the Germans)
Team USA (US+ fanboys)
Team CESM (Chees Eating Surrender Monkeys, aka rest of Europe)
Team Lost (NZ, Azia, Afrika, South America, Antartica)

Ripsn

=\

Post by Ripsn »

im not sure who would choose the teams, in the interest of fairness it would have to be someone involved in the active in-game community but is still un-biased.

any suggestions welcome

idea 4 was no more tournaments, but i pulled it.

AgentAAA

Post by AgentAAA »

"any" mod? :3 does that include Forgotten Chapter or Tiberium Origins?

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

any Released mod
I.e: RA, CnC, D2k

AgentAAA

Post by AgentAAA »

Abolished wrote: any Released mod
I.e: RA, CnC, D2k
Forgotten Mod's on released version 0.26 ;)
I get'cha though.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I suggest a more professional webservice like http://challonge.com/ or http://binarybeast.com/ to organize things. Too few people look in this grey forums and keep track of threads where you need to click some obscure imgur links to see an outdated state of the tournament drawn with MS Paint.