Terrain Expansion [RA][D2K]

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Harisson

Post by Harisson »

Really nice ideas, thank you very much.
I never read any Dune books, I only know Dune from Dune 1 (adventure) and Dune 2 (rts), so it's surprise for me, thaht on Dune is Lava.

Code: Select all

-Old ruined buildings like palaces from old wars or buliding ruins from time from the old fremen empire (if they once lived above ground. im not sure of this but its possible). 
-You mean Dune 2 buildings ? As I said above, i never read any Dune books. But it's possible to create half sanded buildings, maybe destroyable.

-cave systems. (not passable terrain) but more like a gaping chasm or even just openings in the cliff faces. Fremen gotta live sumwhere. 
-Dune2k has already cave as building, you can find it in Map Editor. (it's destroyable and not passable).

-Worm spawning pits. (could be used as a oil derrek type bulding that can slowly tick spice. 
-have you any concept or images ?

-Large rocks. im speaking large. more like mountains. to make effects like a mountain surounded by buidlable rocky areas. 
-Easy to make... nice and simply idea.

-Lava. Dune is a planet, a planet hot enough to evaporate water there is little atmosphere to cause a green house effect. suggesting that the planet is naturally fairly hot. so why not have lava channels here and there. 
-I hope ill find some nice lava texture.

-Worm corpses and skeletons 
-like a caves, already exist...

-Old spice silos (husks of the familia ones or silos from wars long ago that has now been mostly destroyd due to age.) Somthing like this could work like the old spice pimpols of dune 2 where you shoot them and they explode and leave a mass of spice for you to harvest. 
-great idea :P

-tiles that resemble an old river/ocean bed. There was once water on dune but its dried up now. perhaps a different looking sand texture (clay) with things like old marine animal corpses. whales or other odd out of this world looking remains. 

-spaceships. well spaceship husks. the three hosues came to dune on spaceships. surly they would fight in orbit. only for a destroyed ship to be pushed into the planet arrakis. Large craters with a very very broken spaceship in it. 
-im not sure if i can make something like this....

I have also some ideas, how about these ?
-destroyable sand cliffs like in TS, so you can make a new way.
-big sand waves
-deep pits, or as 'kniverson' said something like gaping chasm
-small clifss (1 tile height)

knivesron

Post by knivesron »

hey.

Glad you like my ideas.

I have never read the dune books myself and i never played more then 10mins of the first dune adventure. i have clocked dune 2 multiple times and still love it to this day. i have watched the old movie and both of the newish mini series. (mostly politics... boring enough in rl, extra boring when its a completly fictional political system.)

the reason i thought of lava was due to my understanding of planet science. (which isent very much). i Would imagin arrakis would not have tectonic plates as there are no obvious continents. The planet arrakis is a hot planet tho. so the heat must be coming from somewhere which will melt rocks/minerals to make lava/magma. theres 3 ways i think heat could be pumped into the planet. 1, the star the planit orbits. 2, the gravity from the star or another nearby object causing the planet to be squezed and strectched. (like one of the moons of our gas giants. io or europa i think) 3, the civilisations controlling the planet are using technology to keep the temp optimal for spice production.
The third example seems unlikly as the worms would have evolved over a long period of time (considering their life span) so with this in mind a stable ecosystem has to exist.

Thats pretty much my reasoning for lava on dune. lava visual from the surface would be a rare event but perhaps you could have lava leaking out of a rocky mountain and solidifieing on its way out. (like the hawaii volcano.)

Sorry i have no concepts or nothing these were just ideas i thought would be cool to see in dune

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

I never saw dune film or books, so I based only on first two games :D .

new screenshot:
Attachments
D2kTEX.png
D2kTEX.png (783.62 KiB) Viewed 16406 times

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

I can only suggest you go rent/buy it at once then.

And if that's not an option, then there's this halfa##ed way to watch it:
Theatrical cut shamelessly dumped on youtube.

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

thank you for recommendation, -Jes-
I have to see atleast one dune film.

Here's my CONCEPT of platform, it's uses bridges parts from 1.06 patch. What do you think about it ?
Attachments
platform-concept.png
platform-concept.png (11.45 KiB) Viewed 16369 times

WolveNZ

Post by WolveNZ »

Looks cool!

btw... Whats a Platform? O.o

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Fits well into the atmosphere. But its toplayer or how to call it is a bit dark. What about just concrete or anything? With some white stripes for lanes etc?

See: Like this.

Edit: With Stripes
Attachments
Suggestion.png
Suggestion.png (18.37 KiB) Viewed 16329 times
Suggestion2.png
Suggestion2.png (20.03 KiB) Viewed 16327 times
Hail to the soviets!

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

this ? I used starport concrete....
Attachments
platform-concept.png
platform-concept.png (14.97 KiB) Viewed 16266 times

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Heyho,

thats way better imho.

A shame we can't just use .png or .dds and have to stay close to these fucking palettes.

But i'll guess this will come sooner or later :3
Hail to the soviets!

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

I finished:
sand-cliff-rock(look at valley),
rock-cliff-rock (palace, radar)
and sand-platform. (south)

My folder now contains 117 tilesets

EDIT: I'm looking for a tester

WolveNZ

Post by WolveNZ »

I Liked Petrenko's Platform look, looked more worn like its been sitting in the Sun/Sand for awhile... Rarther than the Concreate look :p

But thats just me

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

Harisson wrote: I never saw dune film or books, so I based only on first two games :D .

new screenshot:
How would this concrete tiles look directly on sand?

Matt

Re: Urban pier

Post by Matt »

katzsmile wrote: Little urban element

Can I get those in the temperat terrain palette, please?

psydev

Post by psydev »

The extra tilesets look very exciting for D2K. Will they be added to the map editor?

Also, regarding the map editor:
I think that the way that the tiles are currently ordered in the map editor has some flaws; some seem out of order. It is hard to see that some cliffs should connect to one another. I think there are some tiles that are supposed to connect together, but it is not obvious from using the map editor. Is anyone considering editing how the tileset appears in the map editor?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Harisson wrote: Image
This looks awesome. Throw your new tiles towards https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pulls to get them included in the official mod.