Terrain Expansion [RA][D2K]

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
WolveNZ

Post by WolveNZ »

Ahh, ok :p

But either way, nice work! would be a real nice change to what we currently have!

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

thanks
Also i'm currently taking requests.

epice

Post by epice »

Redo the civilian buildings so they are a reasonable size and not tiny doll houses.

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

hmmm, I only working on terrain... im not sure how to "undoll" houses.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Harisson wrote: thanks
Also i'm currently taking requests.
Emperor: Battle for Dune had more terrains http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Emper ... ls/Planets including the green Atreides homeworld. Another tileset that is not 90% redundant to the others would make the game look a lot more interesting.

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

Hmmmm, I didn't know about it.... really interesting
I know just arrakis tileset and i also saw ice cliffs. For creating new terrains I need some basic tiles. :\

EDIT:
I found this image
it's from beta ? Because I never seen bridges in D2k before...
Last edited by Harisson on Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt »

The bridges are in the BLOXMAS.R8 which was added in the "christmas release" patch 1.06 which I don't yet support. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2344

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

thank you very much for that patch
are you planning add bridges to d2k in future ?
Attachments
2 new types of cliffs...
2 new types of cliffs...
difference.png (57.72 KiB) Viewed 11336 times

Matt

Post by Matt »

I don't think they work like the destructible bridges from RA. They are simply terrain with impassable edges. It is not hard to do that. However I currently don't plan to support the 1.06 patch files because original CDs and Abandonware files don't use that version. People would need to install the patch, extract the files or update/install and copy them manually. Too much hazzle for the average gamer.

Harisson

Post by Harisson »

why you didn't put it to github like terrain exp. for RA ?
I finished some terrain, but i don't know how to convert them to right data. Can you help me with this, please ?
Also what do you think about creating sands cliff, which are destructable like some cliffs in TS ?

Matt

Post by Matt »

In fact I want to get rid of all the non-free stuff from GitHub. It makes the Setup.exe bigger and for Dune 2000 we are not even in the Freeware grey zone...

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

There is no reason why the installer couldn't fetch the patch and extract what it needs automatically - no user interaction required.

epice

Post by epice »

Oh I have a nice idea, make some sand tiles that can be attached to short pieces for large beaches, then I can make a D-Day map.

knivesron

Post by knivesron »

Here are some ideas i have for dune 2k tiles

-Old ruined buildings like palaces from old wars or buliding ruins from time from the old fremen empire (if they once lived above ground. im not sure of this but its possible).

-cave systems. (not passable terrain) but more like a gaping chasm or even just openings in the cliff faces. Fremen gotta live sumwhere.

-Worm spawning pits. (could be used as a oil derrek type bulding that can slowly tick spice.

-Large rocks. im speaking large. more like mountains. to make effects like a mountain surounded by buidlable rocky areas.

-Lava. Dune is a planet, a planet hot enough to evaporate water there is little atmosphere to cause a green house effect. suggesting that the planet is naturally fairly hot. so why not have lava channels here and there.

-Worm corpses and skeletons

-Old spice silos (husks of the familia ones or silos from wars long ago that has now been mostly destroyd due to age.) Somthing like this could work like the old spice pimpols of dune 2 where you shoot them and they explode and leave a mass of spice for you to harvest.

-tiles that resemble an old river/ocean bed. There was once water on dune but its dried up now. perhaps a different looking sand texture (clay) with things like old marine animal corpses. whales or other odd out of this world looking remains.

-spaceships. well spaceship husks. the three hosues came to dune on spaceships. surly they would fight in orbit. only for a destroyed ship to be pushed into the planet arrakis. Large craters with a very very broken spaceship in it.

Those are some of my ideas i hope some one out there likes them enough to give em ago.

WolveNZ

Post by WolveNZ »

Worm Corpse Tiles would be sweet, saying arnt works 'spose to be pretty long? like a Few Killometers when Adult? would be awesome having some Infantry truding though a Half Eroded Corspe!