Idea on how to stop basewalking: Building husks

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
epice

Idea on how to stop basewalking: Building husks

Post by epice »

You know how vehicles leave a husk behind? Why not have buildings do that! That way you could stop someone from base walking because they couldn't just rebuild their shit as soon as you destroy it.

psydev

Post by psydev »

Do what CNC did and make a build radius around the construction yard. If you want to build beyond the radius, you have to move the construction yard. It doesn't stop basewalking but just makes it sane. It makes it so that you can fight back against it by destroying his construction yard/mcv. He also can't expand indefinitely away from his base across the map without bringing an mcv with him.

epice

Post by epice »

I guess that could work, would be even better if the price of an MCV was increased and far lower chance of an MCV crate. Increase MCV's health to compensate.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

This is a great idea. Leave the rubble for like a few minutes and basewalk-attacks will become much easier to deal with. Basewalk-attacks cost lots of time and money and will be discouraged knowing it can come to a quick halt. Also a good compromise between the pro- and anti-basewalkers.

And rubble looks cool.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

And if you're attacked, and have to rebuild half of your own base?

You can't, because rubble. Have fun watching the next wave stomp all over your shit for good.

Matt

Post by Matt »

A new unit called HANDYMAN can be used to tidy up the debris? :D

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

BaronOfStuff wrote: And if you're attacked, and have to rebuild half of your own base?

You can't, because rubble. Have fun watching the next wave stomp all over your shit for good.
Not for good. A few minutes would suffice.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I think you've missed my point...

Those few minutes that are spent waiting for debris to clear in your own base would also give your enemy enough time to gain a significant advantage for their next attack.

epice

Post by epice »

BaronOfStuff wrote: I think you've missed my point...

Those few minutes that are spent waiting for debris to clear in your own base would also give your enemy enough time to gain a significant advantage for their next attack.
Well maybe you shouldn't have let them attack you in the first place then?

A few MINUTES? No, I think something like 20 seconds would be good.

Maybe witin a certain radius around your ConYard buildings wont leave debris?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Currently they do the opposite. You can basewalk for some seconds longer after the explosion and we are missing artwork so they may be removed again. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3522

epice

Post by epice »

Cmd. Matt wrote: Currently they do the opposite. You can basewalk for some seconds longer after the explosion and we are missing artwork so they may be removed again. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3522
Well then lets fix this before the next stable release!

Here are my proposed rules for this:

1) Build radius around construction yard
  • Within a friendly build radius, buildings can be placed further apart. (6 cells?)
  • When building outside of a friendly build radius, buildings can only be 1 cell apart.
  • Cannot build inside of enemy's build radius at all. (If you want to build in their base, destroy their construction yard)
OR
  • When your build radius overlaps an enemies, both of you can only place buildings 1 cell apart within the overlapping area.
2) Buildings leave debris when destroyed.
  • Debris will dissipate after a short time. (20-30 seconds)?
  • Debris from your buildings will dissipate much quicker when inside of your build radius (1-5 seconds?)
  • Debris will not be removable via building placement within an 'overlapping enemies radius' area, both players must wait till the dissipate normally.
OR
  • You can place buildings over debris within your build radius, removing the debris.