C&C Meets Star Wars

Updated as of March WOOO!

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Seems the latest screenshots still have messed up cameos... please use the icon sets with their correct theater palette... :\

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

hmm, how exactly do i go about that do you think? I don't even know what the icons are supposed to look like.

To me they seem fine.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

They have a mess of wrong colour pixels in them. Look at the Death Star icon; it looks rusty in the middle. The Sandcrawler and flame tank icons have a mess of cyan pixels in them. And the MCV, Tie Crawler, an dAT-AT icons have a pale purple/blue for stuff that should just be grey.

Basically, if you use the desert icons set, you HAVE to use desert.pal to view them. If you use the Temperate set, use Temperat.pal. That's all.

Unlike RA, C&C1 has different palettes for its different theaters, and the icons are optimized for each one separately. Desert is the only one that's actually different, but it's a pretty straightforward principle anyway; you get the same issue with the terrain itself.
Last edited by Nyerguds on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Try changing https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/b ... m.yaml#L75 to PaletteFromCurrentTileset, too.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Cmd. Matt wrote: Try changing https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/b ... m.yaml#L75 to PaletteFromCurrentTileset, too.
That depends... does the mod include the icon sets of all theaters, or just one? I mean, there's no real reason to include all different sets, as long as the set that's used is used with its correct palette.

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

So umm anyone know how to fix the palette issues. I honestly have no clue where to start :S

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Solution: Delete any icons that have a .win or .des file extension.

Explanation: The game prioritizes artwork loading in the following order: .<theater>, .shp, .tem (this is specified in the theater definition yaml)
The build palette icons are drawn with temperat.pal, so you want to force the engine to use the .tem versions. The easiest way to do this is to delete the .win and .des versions.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Dan9550 wrote: So umm anyone know how to fix the palette issues. I honestly have no clue where to start :S
It's not hard... you just make sure that if you use the icons set of Desert, you actually use the desert theater palette. I assume in OpenRA you only need one set anyway... so just make it use the palette of the theater it's from.
Sleipnir wrote: The build palette icons are drawn with temperat.pal, so you want to force the engine to use the .tem versions. The easiest way to do this is to delete the .win and .des versions.
Huh, you mean mods can't change which palette is used for the icons?

In that case, that simply means you need to use the contents of tempstar.mix.

But... you do realize how useless it is to allow the game to use theater-specific icons if they can't use a separate palette for each set, right? The palette is the only reason C&C95 even has the different sets for all theaters. The actual graphics of the icons are never actually different, but unlike the units and structures, they use the whole palette so they have better colour quality.

Also, doesn't that mean the desert theater icons in OpenRA's C&C mod are just as messed up?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Nyerguds wrote: The actual graphics of the icons are never actually different, but unlike the units and structures, they use the whole palette so they have better colour quality.
Exactly. The OpenRA renderer has access to *all* the palettes at runtime, so why complicate matters by explicitly supporting different icon palettes per-theatre?
The only reason that the engine even loads the theatre-specific icons is that it would require additional code to disable this, which wouldn't be used by any of the default mods.
Nyerguds wrote: Also, doesn't that mean the desert theater icons in OpenRA's C&C mod are just as messed up?
No. C&C only downloads (or extracts, if installing from disk) the temperate icons.
Nyerguds wrote: Huh, you mean mods can't change which palette is used for the icons?
Sure they can. The "chrome" palette is defined in System.yaml. You could even change it to use PaletteFromTileset to recreate the C&C behavior but, given the above, why would you want to?

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

So, you can technically have customized icons per tileset, with separate palettes using PaletteFromTileset, but as it is, with the original game data, it's just not useful in any way.

Hm. Makes sense.
Sleipnir wrote: The only reason that the engine even loads the theatre-specific icons is that it would require additional code to disable this, which wouldn't be used by any of the default mods.
Huh? But... RA has no such thing as theater specific icons anyway, and neither does D2K... and as you said, for C&C95 it only uses the Temperate set.

So, why was the logic ever even added?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

RA has a couple of buildings with theater specific artwork (missile silo and camo pillbox IIRC).
It's also an engine design choice - the filesystem layer transparently converts shp and tmp (and in principle r8, ts/ra2 shp, etc if/when parsers are available) into a common format, so higher level code doesn't know or care whether the source artwork was a tmp, shp, or shp renamed with a theater specific file extension. The theater definition includes a list of extensions to check, which is also used to decide priority when multiple variants exist.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Ahh, right. The theater-specific SHPs. I just didn't think the icon loading would look at the theater at all, but if all SHP handling is handled the same way, I guess it makes sense.

zypres1

Re: C&C Meets Star Wars

Post by zypres1 »

I miss this...

Sojonin

Post by Sojonin »

Which version does this mod stop working with? Will it work with the latest release and if not are there any mods that will?

Zeruel87

Post by Zeruel87 »

maybe i/we include StarWars Galactic Battleground in "Cameo" Mod in the future :) but not in the near one.
lets see what the future holds.
at least sone kind of CnC meets StarWars
Check out my CnC mod at:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/cameo