RA enhanced mod

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
psydev

Post by psydev »

Did anyone ever create a 6-wheeled APC or armored fighting vehicle? I would like a unit that resembles a Stryker LAV III,with a TOW missile launcher.

Also,
I haven't been around the last several months. But now I'm back, working on "CNC Classic" again. This is possible now that some engine changes have been made.
Since I'm back to modding, I am also interested in working on CNC mods, too (including the main game-- to make it more balanced/fun somehow). Would someone like to work on something together?

bellator

Post by bellator »

I could help with stuff you have in mind, if you'd be willing to help me finish this mod. I could use some help to balance the game and finish the yaml stuff,

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I don't mind making cameo icons for (almost) any projects.

bellator

Post by bellator »

New structures coming along maybe.

Its important to lay strong foundations first. :D

(im not actually an engineer so I have no idea whether those foundations would actually be acceptable :D)

psydev

Post by psydev »

bellator wrote: I could help with stuff you have in mind, if you'd be willing to help me finish this mod. I could use some help to balance the game and finish the yaml stuff,
Let me know what your goals are and what I could do to help. I'm in the IRC channel most of hte time.

psydev

Post by psydev »

I'm currently working on custom factions for C&C. Current ideas I'm producing: (I've assembled 4 units so far)

Light, high-mobility team:
JLTV or Hum-vee w/ grenade launcher
Stryker APC w/ TOW missile
(Some kind of AA unit will be necessary)
Hover MLRS (like in TS)
CH-53 Super Stallion (for transporting vehicles)
Unmanned aerial reconnaisance drone
Mortar vehicle or infantry
Jump Jet Infantry
[Removed: med. tank, mammoth tank. Replaced: MLRS, APC, Hum-vee]

Heavy armored assault team:
Armored Infantry
Mortar infantry or vehicle
Archer artillery system
Heavy Tank (single barrel)
Superheavy Mammoth Railgun tank
[Removed: orca. Replaced: med. tank, mammoth tank, MLRS.]
Possibly: Strafing A-10

bellator

Post by bellator »

"Heavy Tank (single barrel) "

The RA heavy tank is basically just CNC med tank with another turret. The Ra 2tnk has a new turret.

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Bellator/BaronOfStuff, I am impressed. That are very neat units!
zypres1 wrote: How can we make so good mods don't die? All mods except d2k "died".....
Well, I had that "death experience" with my japanese faction mod. For me, it was simply a burn-out effect combined with the lack of a solid project plan. One person is hardly enough to complete a mod in a reasonable time frame in OpenRA.

I would advise this small checklist this to all people who want to make a mod. Note that positions may overlap - but at the end, you need all this experience in house to finish a mod.
  • get OpenRA mod experience
  • get at least one active & good C# coding guy
  • get at least one active & good YAML coding guy
  • get at least one active & good model guy
  • get at least one active & good graphic support guy
  • get at least one guy to make the number crunching and theoretical balance
  • get at least one active & good map maker
  • get one project coordinator
  • have a solid idea what you are trying to make (!!!) and if it is doable within the limitations of the engine. This is very important. The project coordinator needs to work actively towards preventing project member to leave the frame of this idea.
  • And I agree: get a fork on gitHub and become a part of the official distribution with a minimal concept release so your code stays up to date.
Unfortunatly, there is nothing that can be done to prevent premature mod project death except burning away a lot of time and getting your own hands dirty. (=

Matt

Post by Matt »

I bet if you throw all http://content.open-ra.org/?p=units and content posted on this Forum together, you have enough for a total conversion mod (except tilesets). If you can reach everyone to agree on an Open Content license that would solve our dependency on proprietary game assets which are covered by a strange restrictive EULA and a promo website making them Freeware that is now long offline.

A new faction for the official ra mod could also be interesting. Prepare a patch and throw your stuff towards https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/ to get it included.

Karpet

Post by Karpet »

I know this is very old, but it's worth a try.
Bellator, do you have a BM-21 shp? If not, can you PM me the Smerch shp? I have no idea how to go through OpenRA files.

salvakiya

Post by salvakiya »

I myself would love to use that bastion wall in my mod Code Red. Let me know if you still have that.

bellator

Post by bellator »

i will look for the files on my old harddrive once i get my new pc nexit week, but i cant help right now.

my pc has been busted for half a year now and im getting withdrawal effects.

f5544

Post by f5544 »

does anybody have the mod for me? the link is dead.
the units are very good. if i can use them for my private personal mod.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Did this mod ever finish getting developed? It looks very interesting!

Dieter122

Post by Dieter122 »

I’m in for updates on the units being released...

Would love to add the stuff to my own personal attempt at a modified game for my own use