C&C Meets Star Wars

Updated as of March WOOO!

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Dan9550

C&C Meets Star Wars

Post by Dan9550 »

Alright so its finally complete (for now anyway) i have now successfully ported C&C Meets Star Wars to OpenRA.

All i have done is ported the C&C Meets Star Wars mod by Nyerguds to the OpenRA engine, basically as a small proof of concept for myself. But i thought id post the mod files here and see what people think :)

Checkout github for latest https://github.com/dan9550/OpenRA/tree/cnc_starwars

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/cc-meets-star ... e-20130304

CHANGELOG:

release-20130304:
Hopefully fixed the palette issues with icons

release-20130125:
Crashes on Linux
Incorrect Death Star icon with certain terrain types

release-20130119:
Edited shellmap
Changed included maps
Cleaned up some files
Got rid of proctwr lights
Fixed chrome
Fixed harvester docking animation
Added and modified the included maps
Tweaked and added some install code

V1.4:
Removed saturation effect from shellmap
Added a partial harvester docking animation
Removed version string from load screen

V1.3a
Millennium Falcon not appearing fixed
Tool tip descriptions added
Loading screen no longer displays GDI \ NOD
Apache appearing instead of A-Wing fixed
Silos not appearing correctly fixed
Added tool tips for unit husks
Added Super weapon tool tips
Changed faction strings
Modified some chrome elements (lobby & objectives)
Deleted some unneeded files in the mod folder
Moved MIX files to packages directory

V1.1 Alpha
Mix files now included
Edited chrome.png with star wars logos to replace gdi/nod
Added Names of structures, units etc to tooltips
Added maps ripped straight from C&C
Edited shellmap to play music

KNOWN ISSUES:
None at this time :D

TODO:
Script shellmap
Port The Battle of Hoth mission
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
cnc_starwars.png (574.57 KiB) Viewed 22720 times
Last edited by Dan9550 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

Not getting it to work.

After I installed freec&c, then I got to install the star wars mod, but the staricon.mix is not there, so the mod will not start.

Just spent a few hours trying to beat AI on the freecnc star wars mod. The music and the units, its fun... a whole new game.... But damn its hard to play the missions...

Matt

Post by Matt »

Nice idea. As I recently added the CnC snow terrain from Nyerguds patch you can also make a Hoth map :)

I repackaged this to be compatible with the latest CnC Starwars version complete with the .mix files because it is annoying to search for them and I had to use Wine to install C&C95 1.06c and CnC Meets Star Wars. I only made a few changes to the mods.yaml because Nyerguds replaced staricon.mix with terrain specific icons (this is not required for OpenRA). PS: I forgot to add snowstar.mix

http://www.file-upload.net/download-665 ... e.zip.html

Some sound files are a little noisy and the A-Wing was still the apache, the millenium falcon still the hand of nod. The rest worked out well. Quality of the replacement graphics is really intermingled. As this is the only total conversion for cnc, it is truely something special.

Maybe chrisf will hand over some higher quality SHPs to you http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... hp?t=14963

If you want maps you can try to extract the .mix files with http://xhp.xwis.net/utilities/XCC_Mixer.html and import the legacy maps into OpenRA.Editor.exe As this is a total conversion which just replaces graphics, sounds and videos, it might work without touching any source code.

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

Yeah thanks for the input, i was a little wary about including the MIX files since it technically isn't my mod.

I'll look into adding the maps, and tweaking some more things if necessary when i have time later this week.

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

AMAZING...

Works great, and since many OpenRA players do not know c&c well, and are not used to music, this really is something new and amazing.

I just hope you get some help from Valkyrie (For AI), since it would be cool to have the speeder bikes ride two and two around the map...

And I also hope you can change to single production cheme, since it is the main stopper for many OpenRA players playing c&c multiplayer (crazy build walk)

The music is awesome!!!

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

Anyone out there good with SHPs? i tried to fix the harvester docking bug and ended up wasting an hour and had nothing but a broken SHP.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Dan9550 wrote: Anyone out there good with SHPs? i tried to fix the harvester docking bug and ended up wasting an hour and had nothing but a broken SHP.
Yeah, I'm pretty good with SHPs. I made the SW mod, after all. :P
What exactly needs fixing? It should work exactly like the C&C one...

On a related note, not sure which version of the mod you use (haven't checked out the pack), but the site and mod are still online at http://cnc2sw.ppmsite.com/

Matt

Post by Matt »

I guess then OpenRA changed the original harvester dump animation in mods/cnc/sequences/vehicles.yaml

Code: Select all

harv:
	idle:
		Start: 0
		Facings: 32
	harvest:
		Start: 32
		Length: 4
		Facings: 8
		Tick: 60
	dock: harvdump
		Start: 0
		Length: 7
	dock-loop: harvdump
		Start: 7
		Length: 1
There is a custom harvdump.shp in mods/cnc/bits which might not be the original. First of all delete that one in mods/cnc_starwars/bits and you might have to find out the original sequence for the harvester by looking at the SHP frames.

PS: Seems that the original cnc had the harvester unload in the proc.shp https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/commit ... 82a563767f

Harvester docking in general is tricky. It took me quite a while plus some code changes to get it done for d2k.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Well, yeah, the harvester docking is part of the refinery building in C&C. I expected the C&C mod to already have that implemented, tbh... it's quite silly to go making extra SHPs for something that should just be a straightforward second implementation in OpenRA.

The C&C refinery animation is this:
(straight from the exe, converted to ini here; in stranims.ini)
(Note that I'm not 100% sure about the meaning of the "delay" thing, or if it's even really a delay.)

Code: Select all

[PROC_Idle]
Structure=PROC
AnimationType=1
StartFrame=0
Frames=6
Delay=4

[PROC_Waiting]
StructureID=PROC
AnimationType=3
StartFrame=6
Frames=6
Delay=4

[PROC_Docking]
Structure=PROC
AnimationType=2
StartFrame=12
Frames=7
Delay=4

[PROC_Unloading]
StructureID=PROC
AnimationType=4
StartFrame=19
Frames=5
Delay=4

[PROC_Undocking]
StructureID=PROC
AnimationType=5
StartFrame=24
Frames=6
Delay=4
I changed the order of the sections above to correspond to the actual order of the animations in the SHP file. The full SHP is of course this whole sequence, then repeated for damaged frames, and then the added collapse frame at the end.
Last edited by Nyerguds on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

We split the dumping out from proc.shp so that we can have allies dump at each other's refineries with correct colors, and avoid having to have an invisible harvester for part of the sequence.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Well, guess someone will need to remake the unload stuff for the RA2SW mod then... can't be too hard, the unload anim is really simple. Just harvester pasted on refinery, a tube docking on, and pixel-semitransparent clouds coming from the chimney thing :p

Might do it on the train to work if I got some time, though I don't have OpenRA installed I think, and got no idea where to find said that custom unload SHP.

chrisf: is the original refinery unload SHP still under that, or is that shp edited too?

Dan9550

Post by Dan9550 »

Yeah i started working on it, i managed to get part of the animation working not the whole animation though since its different and all.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

mods/cnc/bits/proctwr.shp is the reworked proc frames.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The harvester plays its harvdump sequence when unloading, which is drawn on top of the unmodified idle frame for the refinery. The harvester is shifted by the docking activity into the correct place for the overlap to appear seamless. The original purpose of this was to prevent people from seeing other players' harvesters pop out of nowhere when unloading under the fog and to allow the docking code to be shared with the ra mod. Allowing docking with other refineries was a nice side effect.

proctwr.shp is an overlay, again drawn on top of the idle sequence, which indicates the fullness of the refinery - a nice polish improvement over the original game, but unrelated to docking.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Sleipnir wrote: proctwr.shp is an overlay, again drawn on top of the idle sequence, which indicates the fullness of the refinery - a nice polish improvement over the original game, but unrelated to docking.
So wait, it abuses the filling tower animation as silo status? That kinda doesn't work for the C&C2SW graphics. The unload animation is a cloud of steam escaping a chimney.

These weird liberties taken on, well, everything, are pretty much the reason I can't get myself interested in OpenRA -_-