[Mod] Taco's RA [1.04]

A rebalance of the current OpenRA Red Alert + new units

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.

Which faction are you most excited to see in the future?

German
38%
African People's Army
19%
Operation Group Echo (pre-GDI)
44%

Total votes: 16

Matt

Post by Matt »

Try

Code: Select all

mono OpenRA.Utility.exe --shp bomberpng.png 64
as I wrote it at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Pixelart

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Received args: --shp b52bomber.png 64
System.IO.InvalidDataException: Unknown pixelformat
   at OpenRA.FileFormats.Graphics.PngLoader.MakePixelFormat(Byte bitDepth, PngColorType colorType)
   at OpenRA.FileFormats.Graphics.PngLoader.Load(Stream s)
   at OpenRA.FileFormats.Graphics.PngLoader.Load(String filename)
   at OpenRA.Utility.Command.ConvertPngToShp(String[] args)
   at OpenRA.Utility.Program.Main(String[] args)
That's the log "utilities". Yes, I renamed the png file.

Also got it set up on Github! Should I delete the folders/files that I'm not going to edit? (like everything but the "mods" folder)

Matt

Post by Matt »

Maybe you compressed the PNG or did not save it as indexed palette. I recently found http://code.google.com/p/aseprite/ which is a tool for pixel art. From the screenshots it looks as if you can work with color palettes.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Alright, I think everything's fixed up and working properly again. Meaning I can get back to plundering old RA95 mods, tweaking anything that needs tweaking and pissing around to adapt the contents for use in this.

So what's needed at the moment?

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

BaronOfStuff wrote: So what's needed at the moment?
I'm going to need a couple cameos:
1) "Medium Tank" subtitle for the current Scout Tank cameo
2) Fighter Jet for the new Allied Fighter Jet
3) Badger Bomber
4) Heavy Bomber (allied equal to a badger bomber)

And then we can start working on 1.05 :D I hope the cameos don't take too long. I don't mind if they're not perfect, by the way.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Cameos are easy to fiddle around with most of the time, don't worry about it. The only occasional problem is 'paletting' them with the standard RA palette; black can be turned translucent, and we all end up seeing the menu bar through what should be black pixels on the cameo.

As for all that stuff, I'll mess around and get it uploaded at some point today, unless I'm rudely interrupted for some reason.

I'll also throw in a few other bits and pieces if I remember to.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

That's great you can get to work again :D Have anything ready for upload after 2 days of, apparently, being interrupted? xD

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Yes. Yes I do. Such as this.

I wasn't really happy with the previous Soviet tank cameo, so there's now a completely different one. And all that other stuff in there's good to go (unit coding aside).

http://www.speedyshare.com/UQhqd/Bundleofgoodies.zip

If you're wondering about a certain warship in there, I'm assuming that I uploaded the Tiberian Dawn SSML in a previous post; the idea is to use the Cruiser as a base, and the SSML turret (only one!) instead of having 8-inch cannons.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Yes. Yes I do. Such as this.

I wasn't really happy with the previous Soviet tank cameo, so there's now a completely different one. And all that other stuff in there's good to go (unit coding aside).

http://www.speedyshare.com/UQhqd/Bundleofgoodies.zip

If you're wondering about a certain warship in there, I'm assuming that I uploaded the Tiberian Dawn SSML in a previous post; the idea is to use the Cruiser as a base, and the SSML turret (only one!) instead of having 8-inch cannons.
Wow. Thanks a ton! I'll be working on the badger bomber, since I didn't actually make it yet, now. Could you elaborate on the strm? What does he inherit?

Very nice cameos by the way :D And is ajet different from mig2 that you sent me a while back?

EDIT: Okay, I figured out the mig2 and ajet. Very cool. It seems like the falcon only uses two faces ingame though xD Even when inheriting the classic mig.

I'm gonna make a MiG2 an A10 with one-hit AA (slow) and a little more ammo but cost 3000. I think.

Tyler Adams

Post by Tyler Adams »

Allied Heavy Bomber you say?

e: resize it and add the unit text, I mean. Don't resize it in SHP builder though, it doesn't look that good.
Last edited by Tyler Adams on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Tyler Adams wrote: Allied Heavy Bomber you say?
Yes, heavy allied bomber :P
Attachments
yes, heavy bomber.png
yes, heavy bomber.png (89.07 KiB) Viewed 12768 times

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

tacozmeister wrote: Could you elaborate on the strm? What does he inherit?
He uses E1 as a base. Just give him cloaking, a better gun and all that other good shit that elite infantry are expected to have.

Including a reasonably hefty price tag.
tacozmeister wrote: It seems like the falcon only uses two faces ingame though xD Even when inheriting the classic mig.
That's because the classic MiG uses 16 facings. The Falcon (thanks to Bellator for the SHP) has 32 facings, like ground vehicles.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Alright! Stormtrooper looks great. Just need to do some testing to see if the thing I put in to make them seeable by units (from 1-3 tile(s) away, depending on unit, so you don't just parade through a base) works.

He has a 2x as fast assault rifle, 1.5x more HP than a rifleman, has 10% more range, and is cloaked. He costs $400. So the cost boils down to about $264 for the unit's improved greatness, and $136 for the unit's cloaking ability, slightly better armorpiercing capability, and compactness.

Seems balanced to me. Some testing online will occur later today, I think.

I'll upload 1.04 beta 2 here for now, in case anyone wants to play with it. Tell me if anything's screwed up :P

Beta 2 = Beta 1 + MiG2, more icons, B52, and stormtrooper.
Read full included readme for more details.

Maybe before the full release I'll do something with artillery to make it more realistic. Stay tuned for that.

Edit: Hahaha. I just made it so infantry try to shoot down airplanes with their rifles. It's amusing, and does very little damage :P But better than zero and still realistic, so I'll keep it. Also added in that shotgunner you sent me earlier! Proportionally equal to riflemen, except a little less range. Got a shotgun sound I can use? And maybe a sound (even if a 'silent' sound file) for the stormtroopers cloaking?
Attachments
tacoraBETA2.zip
Beta 2. Only unsurity is whether or not anti-cloaking measures work. Structures have anticloak value of "3", while infantry/tanks/vehicles have "1". Aircraft and boats should be unable to see cloaked units at any range.
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 542 times

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Heyho,

the beta2 isn't working for me. This is the log:

Exception of type `System.InvalidOperationException`: Cannot locate type: EvaAlertsInfo
   bei OpenRA.ObjectCreator.<MissingTypeAction>m__59&#40;String s&#41;
   bei OpenRA.ObjectCreator.CreateObject&#91;T&#93;&#40;String className, Dictionary`2 args&#41;
   bei OpenRA.ObjectCreator.CreateObject&#91;T&#93;&#40;String className&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.CreateObject&#91;T&#93;&#40;String name&#41;
   bei OpenRA.ActorInfo.LoadTraitInfo&#40;String traitName, MiniYaml my&#41;
   bei OpenRA.ActorInfo..ctor&#40;String name, MiniYaml node, Dictionary`2 allUnits&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Rules.<LoadRules>m__34&#40;MiniYamlNode k, Dictionary`2 y&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Rules.<LoadYamlRules>c__AnonStorey28`1.<>m__3E&#40;MiniYamlNode kv&#41;
   bei System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary&#91;TSource,TKey,TElement&#93;&#40;IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer&#41;
   bei System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary&#91;TSource,TKey,TElement&#93;&#40;IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Rules.LoadYamlRules&#91;T&#93;&#40;String&#91;&#93; files, List`1 dict, Func`3 f&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Rules.LoadRules&#40;Manifest m, Map map&#41;
   bei OpenRA.ModData.PrepareMap&#40;String uid&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.StartGame&#40;String mapUID, Boolean isShellmap&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.LoadShellMap&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Mods.RA.RALoadScreen.TestAndContinue&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Mods.RA.RALoadScreen.StartGame&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.InitializeWithMods&#40;String&#91;&#93; mods&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Mods.RA.Widgets.Logic.ModBrowserLogic.<LoadMod>c__AnonStorey114.<>m__2AE&#40;&#41;
   bei System.Action.Invoke&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.FileFormats.ActionQueue.PerformActions&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.Tick&#40;OrderManager orderManager, Viewport viewPort&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Game.Run&#40;&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Program.Run&#40;String&#91;&#93; args&#41;
   bei OpenRA.Program.Main&#40;String&#91;&#93; args&#41;
Hail to the soviets!

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Petrenko wrote: the beta2 isn't working for me. This is the log:
Are you using the OpenRA version July 30 2012? That's the only supported version. It relies on that version of OpenRA. Besides that, I have absolutely no idea what your problem could be xD As far as I'm aware, it runs on multiple computers. Did you try clearing out your "~\Documents\OpenRA\settings.yaml" by removing the "mods: " line?