Game play suggestions

suggestions for game play

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
5kable

Post by 5kable »

I know what you're saying, but if you're rushing with tanks the infantry tend to get neglected, meaning the tanks will have to fend for themselves against other armour and infantry. The only defense tanks have against infantry were their tracks, which can be easily avoided by staggering/scattering.

Personally I see infantry as more defensive than offensive, not to mention that the Allied jeeps are too weak to be used in a full scale assault. The Soviets don't really have any anti infantry, so giving the heavy tank an MG may compensate for that.
Come to think of it, the Soviets could also do with their own scout vehicle as well. Maybe a counterpart to the Ranger.

Pepzi

Post by Pepzi »

How about a "Dropship bay"? Only in this case it's an Airstrip with two separate runways where two large cargo planes can land and drop off two vehicles each, depending on the size(I.E one plane can hold only one mammoth tank or one MCV but no small vehicles).

beedee

Post by beedee »

5kable wrote: I know what you're saying, but if you're rushing with tanks the infantry tend to get neglected, meaning the tanks will have to fend for themselves against other armour and infantry.
Perhaps you've missed the multiple times we've stated that we don't want tank rushes to be effective and want a more balanced game.

5kable

Post by 5kable »

beedee wrote:
5kable wrote: I know what you're saying, but if you're rushing with tanks the infantry tend to get neglected, meaning the tanks will have to fend for themselves against other armour and infantry.
Perhaps you've missed the multiple times we've stated that we don't want tank rushes to be effective and want a more balanced game.
Yeah, I forgot about that.
:shifty:

It could be worth adding an AT vehicle for both sides on top of that.

Fast attack units such as bikes and additional 4x4s and tracked/half tracked units could also be added as well.

I'll shut up now

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

I'm considering an AT/AA light vehicle for allied -- basically a slightly slower jeep with a rocket launcher on the back.

Slendermang

Post by Slendermang »

Tanks should crush infantry, why was this taken out? Is it a matter of tank rushes being to op against everything? Or at least let harvesters and mammoth crush units.

Empty

Post by Empty »

PRetty much slender.
If your opponent went bazooka troops and you spammed heavy tanks, all you had to do was order the tanks to drive through the enemy base and you win.

Pepzi

Post by Pepzi »

Slendermang wrote: Tanks should crush infantry, why was this taken out? Is it a matter of tank rushes being to op against everything? Or at least let harvesters and mammoth crush units.
Maybe they simply haven't gotten around to do that yet since the engine is still a work in progress after all.

Slendermang

Post by Slendermang »

Pepzi wrote:
Slendermang wrote: Tanks should crush infantry, why was this taken out? Is it a matter of tank rushes being to op against everything? Or at least let harvesters and mammoth crush units.
Maybe they simply haven't gotten around to do that yet since the engine is still a work in progress after all.
No its definitely in the game, mammoths can crush walls in the C&C mod atleast.

ragingirish

Post by ragingirish »

Are there any plans to add captureable oil derricks, garrison buildings. Can tanks be more effective against structures. Could we have effective anti-personel vehicle for both?

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

> add captureable oil derricks

This is about half-done for C&C.

PUOjACKz

Re: Game play suggestions

Post by PUOjACKz »

ragingirish wrote: I figure this area can be where we make suggestions for the game.
I'll start
1. Tanya should not be available to Russia.
Personally, in my inner mod of the original RA, I have re-modded [CHAN] adding the graphics and icons of the TD Field commander. With that change, I have removed Tanya for the Soviets and enabled the new commander. I haven't activated Volkov due to his enormous power that would greatly imbalance the game.

It must be said that, the same logic, should be related even about the Demo-truck. Russians are the Nuke-maniac (try to think even about Nuke-Submarines), not allies.
2. Allies need an AA mobile unit.
I have re-enabled the Rocket Launcher unit (coming from TD), removing the light tank (pretty useless against Heavy tanks and Mammoths). It can hit both land than air units.
3. Dogs for Allies
Yeah, but, for the same reasons, Spy, Thieves, Medics and Mechanics for Soviets, as the same as Flame Launcher and Granadiers troops. It's very dumb that Allies don't have them. Why? Are the allies soldiers too weak to carry a bomb? Or a flamethrower? The balance of the game should be indipendent from infantry availability. Is not the presence of the flamethrower on the soviets that lead them to the victory, if the general commanding the troops is unable to elaborate a valid attack strategy. Neither the granadiers, but the presence of these infantry types could be very useful for solo-maps based on infantry micro-management duties. About the shock troop, it should be only for soviet (because they have the tesla technology), but the allies should be granted of another paritary valid unit (maybe the spy-hijacker or something like that). Sabot units are still missing on RA and should be implemented (spies are used only for monitor purposes, but some of their inner informations are not used so much).
4. A10 for Allies give back the Hind to Russia?
A10 are the most powerful unit on TD, and they could be very useful for allies, as counterpart of para-bombs (even if the damage-range of the dropped bombs for the last one should be extended a little bit). I personally would prefer the add for allies of the para-troopers, the A10 Airstrike and Fuel-Air bombing, removing the Nuke-Capabilities for them, leaving only to the reds. Idem for Airstrips and airplanes.
6. Gap generators, mobile gap generator, radar jammer, chrono tank, mechanic
Personally I don't use mobile gap gen. and radar jammers. The first one is useful just for multiplayer battles (and, in this case, such units could be kept available only in such sessions of the game). Radar jammer is the same and their use on solo-battles is just a wastage of money. Mine-layers are useless too (maybe about how they have been thinked and implemented on the original RA game).

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

PUOjACKz

light tank are useful to destruction of enemy combines and fast attacks, I think that they can't be removed.

PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

aneyrin wrote: PUOjACKz

light tank are useful to destruction of enemy combines and fast attacks, I think that they can't be removed.
Mah, maybe for sneak attacks, because for the rest I have never find them useful. If I have to build something, I go with mediums, but these are just different strategies.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Are you speaking from experience with playing OpenRA, or the original Red Alert? Our balance is quite different from the original game, with the intention of making every unit useful.