LAN Festival in Sweden with OpenRA tournament

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
PeteTheHeat

LAN Festival in Sweden with OpenRA tournament

Post by PeteTheHeat »

Hello community!

I have been playing OpenRA for some years and together with some collaborators we are starting a LAN Festival for grown-ups 2-4 times a year at the castle Hjelmsjöborg in Örkelljunga/Sweden. A crazy mixup of LAN, installations, artists, food & cocktails in an castle enviroment, each time with a new theme which everything i s based on. Our first festival is 22-23 April and the theme is "Cold War". The whole evening is based around a tournament of Red Alert (OpenRA) with lots of easter eggs and happenings.

First of all i want to announce it early for all of you and hope some of you will attend. It's going to be a weekend to remember...

Tickets: https://www.tickster.com/sv/events/f06l ... elmsjoborg
More info: https://www.facebook.com/people/Sociabl ... 631806609/

Second: Can someone help me with the best way to organize servers for 60 people. Can it be done locally or do i have to start online servers?

Grateful for all help.

Poster_Final_Utkast_4 supersmall.jpg
Poster_Final_Utkast_4 supersmall.jpg (277.1 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

abcdefg30

Re: LAN Festival in Sweden with OpenRA tournament

Post by abcdefg30 »

PeteTheHeat wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm
Second: Can someone help me with the best way to organize servers for 60 people. Can it be done locally or do i have to start online servers?
Hi! OpenRA supports connecting directly over LAN (either by using direct connect or by relying on our LAN probe to automatically find the local servers), so you don't have to put your servers "online" as in "available from the internet". You can either host a game directly from the multiplayer menu in the game client, or locally host a dedicated server. See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Dedicated for the latter.

PeteTheHeat

Post by PeteTheHeat »

Ok. So one player can create a game from the multiplayer menu (and choose a port that i have to do port forwarding for in my router) and 11 more can join from direct ip?

Another player can then create a second game and use a different port which more players can join. And than a third game etc. until all 60 can play.

Is this the simplest way to do it?

Thank you for all help!

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

PeteTheHeat wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:37 pm
Ok. So one player can create a game from the multiplayer menu (and choose a port that i have to do port forwarding for in my router) and 11 more can join from direct ip?
If all the players are within the same network, you won't even have to enable port forwarding in the router. Otherwise yes.
PeteTheHeat wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:37 pm
Another player can then create a second game and use a different port which more players can join. And than a third game etc. until all 60 can play.

Is this the simplest way to do it?

Thank you for all help!
Yes that seems like the simplest way for me. Hope that helped you out. ^^

PeteTheHeat

Post by PeteTheHeat »

Ok! I will test everything with a couple of friends before to make sure. Great help, many thanks!