Old replays?

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Zechner

Old replays?

Post by Zechner »

Hello!

As a long-term fan of the game but not a competitive player myself, I enjoy watching replays of great players. Recently I've been watching the replays from RAGL 10, which has been a lot of fun. But I had only downloaded somewhere around half of them, and now they are apparently all gone from ragl.org, replaced by the new season.

So is there anywhere I can get the replays from previous seasons? I'd quite like to continue watching RAGL 10, of course, but also older seasons and other tournaments would be of interest.

Sleipnir

Re: Old replays?

Post by Sleipnir »

Zechner

Post by Zechner »

That's great, thanks!

Apparently I did have more or less all of them except the playoffs, but... there are so many missing? Do people not play all their matches, or did they just not upload the replays?

TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

That was all the replays from last season. In fact there are quite a few more on JaZz's server than were available via ragl.org because I'd already downloaded some replays that became unavailable when players got a season forfeit.

Last season there were 14 players who dropped, compared with 23 players who finished the season. This is a much higher ratio than for S09, but roughly the same ratio as all other seasons since S04.

Glad you're enjoying the replays!

Zechner

Post by Zechner »

Oh, right – I was counting how many people played everyone else in their group, but of course if one player drops out, that's two matches less for everyone who hasn't already played them, too... It's all starting to make sense now!

So I assume people drop out when they realise they're not doing so well? Although I'm surprised to see one player (avoiding spoilers here) dropping out after winning, if I'm not mistaken, all of his games.

I made myself a little program that downloads all the replays, then goes through them one by one, updating the scoreboard as it goes, so I can basically watch the whole tournament in my own time without spoilers. It's a little annoying that you can't tell from the replays when someone drops, because then it's impossible to know the real score before the end. Oh well.

I'm just finishing watching the playoffs now. Some really good games there!

TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

So I assume people drop out when they realise they're not doing so well?
IMO this isn't usually the case. Most players are happy to try to complete their season even if they're not going to win their division. In Masters then there are usually a lot of players who can get into the top four for the playoffs, even near the end of the season. Last season in Masters one player dropped due to an injury and another due to real-life commitments. In Minions some players just stopped responding on Discord, or simply failed to play all their matches in time.

This season we've gone back to having a schedule, with the old strikes and delays system. This has meant that players are disqualified earlier on, rather than making the decision for a whole bunch of players right at the end of the season.

Hopefully you can adapt your program to work against the downloaded replay pack, rather than those from the website.

Zechner

Post by Zechner »

Yup, I spent a late night modifying it just so I could watch the last ones. Only problem now is, people keep changing their names, and I have no idea who's who...

EDIT: Actually that seems to be only season 10, the others have the names in the filename.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Zechner wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 pm
Yup, I spent a late night modifying it just so I could watch the last ones. Only problem now is, people keep changing their names, and I have no idea who's who...

EDIT: Actually that seems to be only season 10, the others have the names in the filename.
In S10 all accounts are forum-authenticated, so you can hover over white icon beside the player's name in players list (Esc menu) and see the actual account name there (I think it requires an online connection too).

Zechner

Post by Zechner »

Good, then I guess there's some ID in the files as well.

Now I'm getting "unknown map" errors. That's weird, isn't it just the standard maps for the older RAGLs?

TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

All the S10 maps are in the resource centre - e.g. https://resource.openra.net/maps/39927/
You can find them here: https://resource.openra.net/search/RAGL-X

Some of the maps from the earliest seasons might not be there - I remember Kaution having a bit of trouble when he was doing his legacy cast series.