Tiberian Dawn - 2v2 monster DYP (draw your partner) with elimination round

1 day tournament for Tiberian Dawn

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
sledun

Post by sledun »

STARTING TIME HAS CHANGED!

Starting time is 18:00 (UTC) / 20:00 (UTC+2)

Time (Timezone)

I will host a 2v2 Tiberian Dawn tournament on 4.9.2021 starting --------. In the tournament a qualification is played followed by an elimination round (1/2 final and final). Participants need to sign up in advance by messaging me here on the forum or in discord.

Prizepool:
50 Euro for the winning team (25 each team member) via Amazon gift card sponsored by me (nudels).

Short description:

In the qualification 10 rounds of games are played. Every round you will get a team member randomly assigned and you will play a 2v2 game versus another randomly created team. Each member of the winning team will get a point for the win. During the qualification a table is created according to the points. To be more precise the Sonneborn-Berger score will be used to avoid ties as good as possible.

For the elimination round 4 fixed teams will be created according to the position of the table after the 10th round. First 8 players of the table reach the elimination round.

Detailed ruleset:

Overall:

Be fair, have fun and don’t be an idiot.

If I have forgot something or a situation is not handable by this ruleset I will decide according to best practice to solve the problem.

Game is won if both opponents “gg" in the chat or have lost all their buildings including the MCV. If a team member “gg"s in the chat and the game is still won by his teammate he will still get a point for the win. Disconnected opponents are not an immediately win.

Explored map, fog of war, separate team spawns, build off allies, redeployable MCV, short game, limit build area and stealth deliveries need to be checked. Crates and debug menu remain unchecked. Starting cash is 7500, no time limit, MCV only as starting unit, normal game speed and tech level is unrestricted.

Map pool:

- “Fight Win Prevail”
- “WarKraft”
- “Burning Hammer”
- “Dualism”
- “Manufacturing Consent”
- “Too Hot”
- “X896”
- “Desert Ways”
- “Dual Operations”
- “Sustain”
- “Ping Pong Bay”

Qualification:

Team with worse table position (sum of both team members) can pick the map out of the map pool and choose the starting points (side / top / bottom). Only nearest starting points next to each other are allowed for the same team. If the table position is equal the map “WarKraft” will be played and I will toss a coin if starting positions need to be ruled. In the first round the map “Fight Win Prevail” will be played. If a player does not show up for the game in time (~10 minutes after round drawing) his team lost the game of this round. Pausing an ongoing game is only allowed with the permission of one of the opponent team members.

I will not spectate every game so you have to tell me the result. At last one player of each team needs to verify the result. Replays are not needed since I can not provide a place for upload. But of course they are a proof for the result of the game in case of doubts.

Elimination:

The elimination round will be played after the qualification round and after a short break (~ 30 minutes). 1/2 final and final will be played as best of 5 (Bo5). There will be a short break before the final (~15 minutes). Games of 1/2 final are played simultaneously. Team with worse table score (sum of both team members) can pick the map out of the map pool and choose the starting points (side / top / bottom) for the first game. Only starting points next to each other are allowed for the same team. After the first game looser picks map and starting points.

Teams are build up and fixed for the elimination as followed. Pos 1 stands for first place of the table after qualification and so on. If a player decides not to take place at the final the next positions in the table will be used keeping the general order shown below:

Team 1: Pos 1 + Pos 5
Team 2: Pos 2 + Pos 6
Team 3: Pos 3 + Pos 7
Team 4: Pos 4 + Pos 8

1/2 Final:
Team 1 vs Team 4
Team 2 vs Team 3

Final will be winner vs winner (Bo5).

Game for third place is optional and is loser vs loser (Bo5). This can be played simultaneously to the final.

Additional rules and informations:

Qualification will start at 17:00 (UTC+2) on 4.9.2021. Calculated with an average game time of ~20 minutes the qualification will take ~200 minutes + spare time. By a rough estimation the qualification will take 4 hours. After the qualification the elimination round starts.

I will provide a table with the scores and randomly assigned teams during the tournament.

Streamers who would like to accompany the tournament are highly welcome. I have already asked Kaution and he is interested in streaming. If technically possible I recommend a delay of 90 seconds in the game streams. If a streamer wants to play the tournament and stream I would also be happy about it.

More about the scoring system for the qualification round: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonneborn ... rger_score

If a tie cannot be avoided the player who had the table spot first stays at this spot. To get this as fair as possible the starting positions of the participants are randomly assigned. This all is managed by the software tool I will be using.

Games will be played on official servers or on any other servers that are available. By a number of 12 participants each round contains of 3 games. That means 3 servers would be needed at the same time. A high number of players doesn’t mean a longer duration of the tournament, just enough servers. For the tournament at least 8 players are necessary. Otherwise the tournament will not be played. If the participants count is not exactly 8, 12, 16, 20, … it is necessary that some participants have to wait a round if they are not randomly assigned to a team / game. In this case they can spectate another game or take a break. This also means that after 10 rounds not everybody will have had the chance to play 10 games. But the software tool will make this as fair as possible.

If a player needs to leave the tournament during qualification the games he played still counts for the scoreboard. He will not be assigned to games in the following rounds. If the player count is getting smaller than 8 a final (Bo5) is played immediately. For this the teams are set as following:

Team 1: Pos 1 + Pos 4
Team 2: Pos 2 + Pos 3

But is this fair?

Sure there is a certain luck factor. This tournament mode is meant to play a lots of games with different team members. If a player is loosing on purpose for a special place in the final table of the qualification he will be banned. Of course, this is hard to proof but I will decide this by watching replay if this should become a real problem, but I don’t think so. It is hard to peek for a place on the table since games are played simultaneously. I also strongly recommend to see this as a competition including a certain fun factor. Nevertheless, the scoring system rewards you with more points when winning versus players with higher score than winning versus players with lower score. Therefore fairness is given.
Last edited by sledun on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sledun

Re: Tiberian Dawn - 2v2 monster DYP (draw your partner) with elimination round

Post by sledun »

Participants:
- Orb
- Azure Anemone
- Blackened
- Bain
- SarahSicaria
- Anjew
- J!NX
- Therapist (sign in via ingame chat)
- Tsig (sign in via ingame chat)
- Major Kusanagi Motoko
- Borgmo
- kato
- M A S T E R (unsure but high probability)
Last edited by sledun on Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

I will play.

SarahSicaria

Post by SarahSicaria »

count me in!

Major Kusanagi Motoko

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

confirming sign up,