TDTT post moretum

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Blackened

TDTT post moretum

Post by Blackened »

Just a simple thread if people want to comment on the event/maps. Any suggestions, feedback etc.

I know some of the maps were pretty big. A lot of that was by design because i didn't want ore patches to be within 1 conyard radius. I know some maps were low eco as well. Even maps that weren't supposed to be, but lack of finding spots made them that way.

As for the format. I think double elimination was great for 2v2. Games were longer that average and thus we didn't take 12 hours to play.

Overall I think it went really well.

netnazgul

Re: TDTT post moretum

Post by netnazgul »

Yep, double elimination bo1 was indeed a good solution. As just discussed with Odourless on another matter, each player (and each team) should have at least one additional chance to stay in the tournament, and that better be other opponent, so Single Elimination schemes don't provide as much fun and proof.

My concern was the lack of brackets display, as it was hard to follow the tournament progression past random games of 2v2s on the stream. My second concern is obscure team names (that doesn't provide any info by themselves on who's playing), which, coupled with obscure ingame player names and lack of brackets, made it a bit of a double-blind Dark Tournament. Several times I even betted on the wrong team on Kaution's stream because it turned out it wasn't the team I think it was.

As for the maps - you've said it yourself, but in case of Dark Tournament rules more open and bigger maps are generally played well on the first pass, while small maps are easier to explore and thus are faster to be exploited. So for this ruleset this worked fine, and some maps may get into general pool after only minor tweaks.

TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

From a spectator point of view the competition was a success. As net mentioned, being able to follow the brackets would have been nice. The double elimination format not only helped to reduce the luck of the draw, but also increased the number of matches involving "medium quality" teams. It's subjective, but I think this also made a better event to watch. I think it would have been fine for the final to be a standard Bo3, even if this isn't a "true" double elimination format.

I really enjoyed seeing the minigame tiebreakers from previous Dark Tournaments. Playing a dark minigame is not exactly competitive, but it is fun to watch. I liked Kaution's approach with BO3 games where the minigame was played as a friendly if the first two games went the same way.

I also liked the DT2 approach of all participants playing the same map in parallel. This helped to avoid a map being "wasted" if a game is a walkover. I understand that it requires more organisation to start the games in parallel, but with multiple streamers then this approach is really good.

Congratulations on a great tournament!

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Another concern I wanted to point out, which is common to both TDTT and TDTV - there are no tasks, mind games and surprises for players. Basically it became just a common competitive 1v1/2v2 tournament with shroud. Original TDT had so much more in this regard. I'm not even talking about minigames (I understand those are very hard to implement), but I feel TDT should create unconventional challenges for players - naval usage, capturable structures, creep bases, crates, base expansion difficulties... All this has good synergy with enabled shroud because it puts additional emphasis on scouting.
I hope to see more of this in the next TDT iteration, and will be glad to contribute as well.

Great examples that I remember were MCVs landlocked in a lake with space available only for a power plant, lone MCVs starting next to each other with lots of debris around, a map with capturable chrono and forced soviet starts that had mines in the middle (even though it didn't exactly play out as planned ;) ), capturable Airfields to provide fast scouting early game.

PS: Classic map cameos are my personal pleasure in TDT, though it got a little bit hackneyed over iterations. Naval version of Behind the Veil was the greatest possible gag.