Red Alert Global League: Season 9 - Post Season Discussion

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
netnazgul

Re: Red Alert Global League: Season 9 - Post Season Discussion

Post by netnazgul »

Just dropping a 5c on top of what was already said above.

Sadly, the league scheduling format idea I've pitched in previous post-season discussion thread was overlooked this season. Maybe worth having a second look for the next one.

Also, I still think if the league is to be self-running, Rulebook should be followed proper, otherwise it becomes subjective to immediate feels of admins (or lack of) and the result is admins just need to be much more involved in decision-making, while publicly any such decision will always be viewed as misjudgement. Rulebook may have become complex over the years, then it is time to revise and simplify it, as well as tune it to each occasion before the season.

Speaking of presence, as I had an opportunity to watch RAGL "from outside" this season, it felt that RAGL just lacks transparency - a lot of things weren't clear: why certain players were put to Masters and others weren't; why players didn't get strikes as they should have; what was the decision on unbalanced maps, etc. And judging by the comments above and general discord talks, it looks like the players themselves were as puzzled on these topics. So, if Rulebook is to even be had, but especially if it is there but not followed, - any and all governing decisions should be made swiftly and made public.

As for breaking traditions. I am of an opinion that the league should maintain its structure with regards to who's promoted/relegated across tiers. It is simply unfair "de jure" for a player to be put above the heads of others into Masters even if everyone subjectively agrees such promotion is valid. As the league is multi-tier, top division should always be contested and not a free join one.

Saying that, the past Masters return issue hasn't ever been addressed properly too, and given the thought it is reasonable to allow fast-rising or overall strong returning players to join Masters division, there should be a new pre-season event be introduced. Something as follows:
- Top4 Masters have guaranteed spots next season
- 5th and 6th placed Masters have a guaranteed spot
- Top promoted Minions (3-4 spots) have guaranteed spots next season

This gives a solid core of 7-10 players (depending on usual dropouts) being in Masters. The rest of the field (up to a total of 12-14; I think having it more than 12 drags the season for too long and accumulates the delays if those are not dealt with with other means) is up for contention, with remaining Masters (likely no reason to have a straight relegation spots in such a system) being seeded first, then any other non-promoted Minions, then anyone else who wants to get into the fray. How to run such a qualifying event is up for discussion; obviously it shouldn't drag for too long and should be able to close in one, maximum two weeks time. Likely it may be an uncomplete double elimination bracket, or a short-running swiss group, the core idea being spots given based on at least 2 matches per player.

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

.1 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm
JSG dropped because he wasn't promoted to masters when he thought he should have.
Just to clarify, this is totally wrong, I never said nor implied that in any way. I am not sure why you are lying on this... but I guess it's the easiest way out
Screenshot_20200803_105351.png
Screenshot_20200803_105351.png (50.41 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
.1 wrote:
a lot of the times people didn't read the rule book and the answers to their questions are in there
As a follow up, I read all the rules before signing up and, when I pointed out that something was not done according to the rules, the answer was that I didn't read the part about "the admins may not comply with the rules" :lol:
Screenshot_20200803_105707.png
Screenshot_20200803_105707.png (110.45 KiB) Viewed 6811 times

Post by .1 »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 am
.1 wrote:
JSG dropped because he wasn't promoted to masters when he thought he should have.
Just to clarify, this is totally wrong, I never said nor implied that in any way. I am not sure why you are lying on this... but I guess it's the easiest way out

Screenshot_20200803_105351.png
.1 wrote:
a lot of the times people didn't read the rule book and the answers to their questions are in there
As a follow up, I read all the rules before signing up and, when I pointed out that something was not done according to the rules, the answer was that I didn't read the part about "the admins may not comply with the rules" :lol:

Screenshot_20200803_105707.png
Well you gave no reason why you dropped, Morkel implied you did, which is false.

That's fine, you have a right to be upset. I mean, we had 2 spots available and it went to the 2 best players. The results proved it.

RAGL doesn't lack transparency. Ive always said that we try to make decisions that are in the best interest of the league to ensure fair gameplay across the board. We didn't go hard on strikes this season. Games were completed and we had very few drops...The fact on the matter is, we arent here to hold your hand, Yes, read the rule book, sometimes unique situations come that are outside of the rule book and judgement calls have to be made.. do we do it with malice, no, we just try to do our best. An example of this was the punsho pause... that is not in the rule book, a judgement call was made, could we have gone harder, sure, could we have gone easier, sure... but we make a call based on what we know and what will let the league continue to be a fun place for all.

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

.1 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 pm
Well you gave no reason why you dropped
This is not true (again). I clearly stated why I didn't join in the same public chat where Morkel read it, as well as to the admin I contacted.
.1 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 pm
That's fine, you have a right to be upset.
The one thing that upset me is you reporting totally false reasons about me.
Honestly, I have no idea why you got so attached to this case (especially considering its limited importance) and why you spend so much effort in altering the truth. If you feel the urge to further comment on this, it would be nice if you could stick to the reality (i.e. what was written).

Yara

Post by Yara »

.1 mentioned before that he is not really interested in administrating the next RAGL season. If that is the case, how about Anjew takes it over as a lead (if he wants to?) and we get some fresh blood? I am sure there are enough people who could help. I can do it myself, but I don't have to.

Idea:
  • Anjew -> Master RAGL admin
  • ??? -> 2nd RAGL admin
  • WhoCares -> Lord of Maps
  • Widow+Punsho+happy? -> Balance Team
  • TTTPPP -> Statistician