Competitive Map Making Discussion

and what makes a good map

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Doomsday wrote: First I would like to point out that it is quite annoying when players use abbreviations for maps. I was able to figure out that DCF means Dual Cold Front but I have no idea what Omnom means with DNC.
I honestly think that's a typo and meant to be DCF and if its not then your guess is as good as mine. ^^
Happy wrote: I love all the ideas and the theory craft behind maps and I'm sure all of us have beautifull ideas to make however the problem is alot of people, including me, have no clue how to use the editor efficently. Like what Juicebox said I would love an idiots guide to doing roads or cliffs etc.

Basicly a map making guide thread similar to this one that was made for playing the game http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 82&t=19845
AFAIK there is very little besides plug and place. You have the copy and paste function which is useful when you have long repeating terrain or when you need to make a slight adjustment in position. Grid keeps things neat

Other than that I would say never use the in game delete map function and keep a back up copy outside the maps folder. There is a bug where if you make a slight change 2 copies will show up and if you delete one of them with the in game function both will disappear :(

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Wait. Agenda and Green Belt are of equal size? My life is a lie!

Also funny that Agenda corresponds to standard 16:9 screen ratio. Not intentional.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

SoScared wrote: Wait. Agenda and Green Belt are of equal size? My life is a lie!

Also funny that Agenda corresponds to standard 16:9 screen ratio. Not intentional.
This also means Sidestep and Agenda have same amount of tiles. :D
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Looks like I’m late to the party, there are however some things I’d like to weigh in on.

Backlash vs the ‘meta’

This one is a bit hard for me to wrap my head around. For the longest time artillery spam was the style of play that was the most vilified. Now it seems several people look at tank and infantry play and think: ‘Look at these guys and their tanks, how uninventive.’
To me tank play is anything but stale. Where some people see just tanks and infantry I see a series of choices and variations. Do I open with multiple tanks before my third MCV, one or none? Do I split my armies, how much do I split them? Do I try to hide my units while they mass, and then hit the enemy with a Barf-style all-in? Do I feign an attack on one side and then hit my opponent somewhere else with a raid or an attack? Do I keep the tank production up or do I transition into something else?

This game is far from lacking strategic depth.

Also I don’t understand why the anti-meta backlash happened with the RAGL map-pool reveal. This map pool isn’t at all friendly to players who only use the tank-infantry meta. If you can’t throw in an arty spam or a base crawl, you’re going to lose.

What to do with old maps?

To me the only misstep SoScared took was altering DCF in the official release map pool without the author’s blessing. In the future it may be prudent to add a third map folder and tab, ‘Classic Maps’, where people who enjoy the Singles and Bloody Deltas of the world can find retired maps. This will free up the official maps to be a showcase of the best OpenRA has to offer.
SoScared and anyone else for that matter need NO permission to use an altered map in a tournament. If it makes the map better for competitive play, go ahead and make it happen.

What makes a great map?

I chose the map pool for the King of the Hill tournament, and Raishiwi and myself will likely hold more competitions in the future. Here is the criteria I will use for my future map selections:
Does it have a history of great games?
That’s it. No need to make a statement on gameplay. No need to reinvent the wheel. Nothing is more important to an event; especially a streamed event, than the ability to produce quality games.
That is the reason I will vote for Sirocco as the best map of the 2017 Map Making Contest.
I have seen a high amount of quality games on Sirocco that have unfolded in a variety of ways. I’ve seen base trades; I’ve seen successful grenadier play; I’ve seen games go to tier three tech more often than most maps; I’ve seen a game end with a massive army battle in the center; I’ve seen a MCV rush on an opponent’s main work and I’ve seen the same rush be effortlessly thwarted.

Pragmatism vs. Idealism

The argument concerning map making and even game balance in general can be summed up into two opposing forces; Pragmatism and Idealism.
I am on team Pragmatism. I view the Red Alert mod of OpenRA as a great game. I simply wouldn’t play it as much as I do if I didn’t. Now there are several elements of balance and gameplay I would like to see improved, but in a series of small tweaks as opposed to an overhaul.
One of the core ideas of Pragmatism is the idea of the better-mousetrap. Sure, if I replace a mouse-trap with another mouse-trap the end result will still be a mouse-trap. But we can add more attractive bait, use higher quality springs, cut out unneeded material to make the process more efficient: The existing product can always be improved upon.
Idealists on the other hand are more likely to view the game as something in need of drastic change. Instead of seeing all the angles and opportunities a new map has to offer they’ll be more likely to dismiss it as something that has already been done before.
Both mindsets are important to the development process. An example of this can be found with Five Aces’ Dies Irae mod map. When I first saw the changes I immediately looked at the Mammoths with flamethrowers and thought, ‘Nope’. But later I saw that Dies Irae had a solution to one of the problems I was working on in the Sniper Drop.
The map version of this can be found in Monty Hall. Currently I view it as a map that will simply devolve into an artillery contest; but I would be doing everyone a disservice if I ignored the potential of the elements it attempts to bring into the game, such as additional engineer play. I view expansive mods and maps such as Monty Hall like concept cars. They show us what the future can be, but it’ll take the work of pragmatists in finding out which ideas of the car will work in practice before they can reach the production phase.
It’s important for us pragmatists to not dismiss overhauls like Dies Irae, Omnom’s tab-edit, or Fortnight’s mod because there may be hidden gems inside. Idealists perform a crucial part of the design process; there’s no way I would have ever come up with the sniper drop on my own; my mind just isn’t wired that way.
It is equally important that idealists do not dismiss proposed improvements as not doing enough or being a ‘clone’ of something already in existence. We’ll never make progress on anything that way. The tab-edit, for example, has produced barracks with less hp, and may very well produce changes to build times of the war factory, radar dome and tech centers in a future release. I know these aren’t the changes Omnom was hoping for, but we can’t ignore that progress was made because of his testing.

In summary: I’ll try my best to not immediately dismiss ideas that I think would be too drastic for the game, and I encourage those who view this game as stale or hopelessly unbalanced to not dismiss small changes and new maps that recycle proven formulas.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

As for altering authors maps, asking for the original authors blessings for alterations of official maps, one ought to compare that somewhat with replacing an earlier developers code with new/tweaked code. Impractical in regards to open-source projects but also would have made the RA map pool overhaul of 2016 pretty much dead in the water:

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/10718
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/11143

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

SoScared wrote: As for altering authors maps, asking for the original authors blessings for alterations of official maps, one ought to compare that somewhat with replacing an earlier developers code with new/tweaked code. Impractical in regards to open-source projects but also would have made the RA map pool overhaul of 2016 pretty much dead in the water:

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/10718
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/11143
Point taken. I saw your decision to reverse the change and made an incorrect assumption as to why.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I did to a certain degree attempt as much as possible to retain the basic principle of the altered maps - with various results. With Dual Cold Front however I was pushing the map more or less opposite of its original intent.

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

Smitty wrote: That is the reason I will vote for Sirocco as the best map of the 2017 Map Making Contest
Personally, I think it is very well capable of creating good games, but open and flat and not exactly eye-candy.

Therefore, I think there is no 'Formula' for making the ideal map and we certainly don't have to pursue this formula. I would suggest cooperation though.

E.g. this map: http://resource.openra.net/maps/19947/ is in its current state not suited for competitive 1v1's. Though I admire the concept and will likely contact the map designer to ask if I can take his concept and tweak it until it's perfect in my eyes. After that, just throw it online, ask people to check it out and see what happens.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Blackened wrote:
Doomsday wrote: First I would like to point out that it is quite annoying when players use abbreviations for maps. I was able to figure out that DCF means Dual Cold Front but I have no idea what Omnom means with DNC.
I honestly think that's a typo and meant to be DCF and if its not then your guess is as good as mine. ^^
Yeah that was a typo...idk why my brain decided to abbreviate Dual Cold Front as DNC.
Doomsday wrote: I decided to analyze RAGL S03 map pool in map size. This is a list of current maps from smallest to largest.

Keep off the Grass 2 58 x 58 (3364 tiles)
Desert Rats: 70 x 70 (4900 tiles)
Northwest Passage: 72 x 72 (5184 tiles)
Patches: 87 x 74 (6438 tiles)
Behind the Veil 2: 96 x 70 (6720 tiles)
Rocky Ravine: 82 x 82 (6724 tiles)
Winter Storm: 89 x 82 (7298 tiles)
Pitfight: 90 x 90 (8100 tiles)
Agenda: 128 x 72 (9216 tiles)
Green Belt: 96 x 96 (9216 tiles)
What would be a medium sized map? If we were to say 82x82 maps are to be medium sized, I'd throw a fit because Rocky Ravine plays out like a large map. I honestly think the size of a map is mostly determined by the spawn distances rather than the dimensions of the map.
Additionally more tile sets would be wonderful.

Bridges would definitely benefit from an increase in size. One of the biggest problems with their current size is that anything over 2 vehicles or 10 infantry will have bad path finding. That simply isn't enough to support a strike force capable of actually doing damage.
The capability to make large roads would also be nice. I tried to do that with the current tiles, but they look pretty ugly. If I ever figure out how to import an tile into the map editor, I'll be sure to make a guide.
I also agree on the Monty Hall paragraph too. Something strange like that could work for RAGL or even just a competitive map in general but I'm not sure that map meets the standards.
Could you elaborate more on why you think that map doesn't meet your standards? What is "the standard" from your view? There are a lot of things about that map that is out of kilter, but perhaps some of it may be less intimidating than other aspects of it.
I do think however, that more capturable buildings would be a benefit the game. Right now oil derricks are the only capturable structure. As omnom has mentioned before, often placement of oil derricks leads to snowball effects (like old warwind). It also limits strategies (like in agenda). Having something like the observation post provide vision or the command center provide building area. Maybe something that increased infantry speed by like 10%. Stuff that wouldn't be game ending if you lost or didn't go for, but would put you at a slight disadvantage
I'm thinking about increasing the CashTrickler of the oil derrick from $400/min to $1000/min for my next map, and having these oil fields replace ore fields themselves. Perhaps increasing the value of each oil derrick could allow for some more creative usage of them.

I like how Monty Hall offers a lot of capturable objectives, but there are too many of them in my opinion. You need the engineer to access the 4 gem mines, the 3 tech centers, the pseudo-pillboxes, and the 2 oils. The excessive amount of capturable objectives dilutes the value of each objective to the point where it doesn't really matter as long as you have more than your opponent. However, most maps have the opposite problem with the odd objective being "shared", causing games to snowball more quickly.
Also I don’t understand why the anti-meta backlash happened with the RAGL map-pool reveal. This map pool isn’t at all friendly to players who only use the tank-infantry meta. If you can’t throw in an arty spam or a base crawl, you’re going to lose.

Going to try and avoid discussing the map pool, but I do want to mention that a lot of those maps cater to one particular style of play or only have one main objective.
Here is the criteria I will use for my future map selections: Does it have a history of great games?
This is a brute force method that would require map makers to pump out a shitton of maps in the hopes of creating 1 quality map. Making a map is not easy, and making a good map that everyone likes or respects is even harder. In addition, quality is a very subjective term that varies from person to person; I think it's best that we figure out exactly what features make a map enjoyable or rewarding to play instead of relying on individual judgment.
Therefore, I think there is no 'Formula' for making the ideal map and we certainly don't have to pursue this formula. I would suggest cooperation though.
There's no formula in making an ideal map, but every single map is a formula of its own. There are certainly different variables and ingredients one can put into a map, and I'm just trying to sort out what variables are good, bad, or have potential. People like to clone maps because its easier to copy a tested formula than it is to create a new one, and this thread will hopefully help map makers to venture out to create their own maps rather than cloning a popular map.
___

I think, in general, what we can all agree on is that we want to give players more strategic options to choose from, To formally define what I mean by options, its the freedom and ability to choose between different strategies or build orders. Patches and Northwest Passage are a couple examples of where you don't have build order freedom because you're stuck building refineries for the first 8 minutes of the game. Winter Storm and Rocky Ravine a couple of examples where you don't have much strategic freedom because securing the middle is of the utmost importance.

What I'm more interested in are the intangibles -- how can we balance a vision post, a choke point, and other objectives against money? Take Dual Cold Front for instance: how do we get people to stop tunneling in on the two gem mine locations and consider the side routes? So far, people have come up with various solutions to this problem (in general, not specific to DCF):

-Put money on side routes

This is one obvious and overused solution.

-Larger chokes/area to move armies around

This seems to be the other popular solution, along with adding money to certain routes. This also generally goes hand in hand with making maps larger just by default of making everything bigger.

-Creativity?

For instance, Mountain Pass had less ore that was easier to defend on one side, while there was more vulnerable ore on the other. River Crossing has a gem mine in the middle surrounded by concrete walls. Monty Hall needs no more explanation. Apocalypse Now uses traversible beach tiles to stop basepushes and army movements.

So far, adding more money and making maps bigger is clearly one very popular solution. My question though, is what would you be willing to consider for a competitive 1v1 format? What else can map makers do besides put more money and bigger chokes in? If I were to make a 1v1 map with a bunch of creeps, would you consider that to be innovative or a gimmick? What if I had capturable husks and neutral mammoth tanks to make people build hijackers and mechanics? What if I made a map with no ore mines? A map with 16 oil derricks? Neutral Superweapons? What would you, the player, be willing to consider?

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Smitty wrote:Does it have a history of great games?
Like Omnom said this method works but relies on a map having some sort of establishment. for all we know showdown could be the next ore lord. But no one has played it and we may never know. Maps need multiple play throughs to be vetted and a lot of the games might suck. Sidestep might never have been as it changed the old meta a bit. By old standards it didn't have great games. In future standards it might not have good games.
Smitty wrote:Pragmatism vs. Idealism
This is well said. I've often thought that what this game really needs is a 1.5 expansion. It's a fine line between balancing what RA originally was and what we've turned it into on this engine. This game is a far cry from what is on CNCnet. And I think possibly, what we need is a 1.5 expansion. New units, tile sets, factions etc. Something possibly like Fortnights mod that takes all the stuff we love about this version and create something distinct and better. Nostalgia for this game might end up killing it. But that's me being an Idealist :D
Wippie wrote:Personally, I think it is very well capable of creating good games, but open and flat and not exactly eye-candy.
My counter opinion, practicality and playability should be first before eye candy. Right now things that make a map look awesome can often hinder gameplay. Polar Disorder is a nice visual map but the candy part really sours the sweetness of it all. (sorry for the bad pun :P)

In the latter days of Starcraft Broodwar ramps were expanded to accommodate wider armies and it looked graphically ugly. They had buildings placed on chokes that offered sneaky ways to attack and many other things. It wasn't exactly pretty but it did create unique and exciting game play.

But again, visually this game could be improved simply by adding new tiles of grass/snow/desert without effecting gameplay.

Omnom wrote:What would be a medium sized map?
I would say a good indicator would be how quickly a unit could reach a certain point. Perhaps MCV to an expansion? Maybe an APC to the spawn? Something like that. I feel that makes it much clearer on the size of the map. Comparing just spawn distances puts a map like Sidestep into a smaller map category even though it's obviously pretty big.
Omnom wrote:Could you elaborate more on why you think that map doesn't meet your standards?
Im going to try to keep things orderly but honestly, there is a lot to go over and I might bounce around. If so I'll apologize now.

Monty Hall, like you said, really pigeonholes you into building engineers, and a lot of them. It's almost less about battling your enemy and instead about a race to capture the most things first. This is a war dammit stop trying to collect things! :P
Also, I dislike the use of creeps in competitive games. Competitive maps should have very little in the randomness factor. Crates aren't part of the competitive scene for the same reason. Creeps add a small, but indeed random part to the game. There is a 4p TD map with viceroids that spawn in between players. It's creative in the sense that you can drag them to the other player but it creates a "deal with it or lose" scenario. In a 1v1 or 2v2, you shouldn't have to worry about a potentially 3rd or 5th entity screwing you up.

Editted in hindsight: Look at the D2k worm for this very thing. If you happen to randomly(or are Fiveaces and guaranteed to) lose a harvester GG.

Also currently, you can hear gunfire regardless of where you are on the map. in previous releases you used to hear enemy medics heal and minelayers reload. It's a bit game breaking when you can hear that. Someone recent was talking about using sniper creeps to defend an area with oil derricks. It sounds cool but right now if you chose to go for those derricks and kill the snipers your opponent would hear it and be aware. Allowing them to respond to however they please. If you couldn't hear it that would be a different story.

Additionally I was doing some experiments for a build order in one of the RAGL maps. (going to be vague here as to not reveal my plan :P) I was trying to complete something very time dependent. I came to find that the map didn't play out consistently. There were small random things that occurred that would end my strategy and cause a loss. I don't find that fair.
The map should not offer surprises to the player. Thus 0 randomness.

Maps need to be as balanced as possible regardless of position. It's important to note that symmetry does not automatically mean it's balanced and that asymmetry does not automatically mean it is imbalanced. A map can be perfectly mirrored and be imbalanced. Top vs bottom often suffers from this. Ore fields are usually the biggest culprit but less noticed and less serious is the way units come out. Left vs Right in TD also has issues.
Asymmetry can be near perfectly balanced too. Singles isn't exactly mirrored but it is more or less balanced.

Another balancing act in map making is size/ layout. This is pretty well understood and I don't think I need to go into it too much. Large open maps favor faster units (Nod In TD for example) It is also important to note that bigger maps almost always hurt Ukraine. Both of their special units lose effectiveness on bigger maps. Parabombs take longer if the action is in the center. Nuke trucks have a larger chance to be spotted and killed before reaching their target. etc. At the same time Britain gets a boost in bigger maps. Stealth apc's have more room to make sneaky attacks. Spies also become harder to stop. In the early game rangers can be really good.
Respecting each factions strengths and weaknesses should be addressed when making a map. It's okay if one is a little weaker or stronger just don't get carried away.

Maps shouldn't suffer from the snowball effect. Like mentioned with old Warwind or even DCF you see it if you lose the gem mines. I think a good map should have the values close to 50/50. Having a gem mine on one side of the map is fine so long as there is an opportunity to get close to the same eco somewhere else. There are others strategic values to consider too. I know you've often brought up maps having too much value in one location. It's difficult to balance the intangibles simply because there isn't hard evidence.

Part of the problem is the lack of diverse strategy. Smitty brought up the counter to tank play being stale with his examples but those really aren't a different strategy. You are still doing the same thing just changing the timing of when you do it. Rushing is a different strategy than tank play. Base pushing is a different strategy than tank play and rushing.
Smitty wrote:Do I open with multiple tanks before my third MCV, one or none? Do I split my armies, how much do I split them? Do I try to hide my units while they mass, and then hit the enemy with a Barf-style all-in? Do I feign an attack on one side and then hit my opponent somewhere else with a raid or an attack?
These things are all so similar you have almost 0 commitment to one in particular. To me this is all the same strategy. It's kinda like saying, do I build 5 grens and walk to the ref, do I wait and get an apc and do i flame drop instead? That's all the same strategy too. Sure the timing is crucial to all those to work, but in the end there isn't much of a punishment for failing to hit the correct time and it's easy to just switch it up to the correctly timed version.

I'm going to hearken back to my CNC3 KW days a bit. There were much more abundant strategies. They were distinct. You knew when someone transitioned into a new one. With ORA things are much more muddy. Part of that is because you have a much more diversity in units and factions in CNC3 KW compared to RA but I also think it's because the intangibles were less obtuse.

maps should allow for diversity in strategy. And that is certainly the most difficult in ORA right now regardless of mod.

One last thing, I'm not trying to say that ORA should mimic CNC KW or Starcraft per se. Both did have their faults, but I do think that they were games that had a very high standard of gameplay and something to draw upon and improve.

After edit report: The amount of damn times I had spelling mistakes or had to otherwise edit this post... I suck at typing. :cry:

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

I actually agree with Smitty in terms of tank and infantry play. Because when it comes to army clashes you need an eye on the enemies base to what they have and what they COULD have. A few different units can break your army clash. (IE: going up against tank+infantry combo and he has 3 artillery in the back).

So army management is strategic depth in itself along with unit counters. The biggest problem RA has is the base walking is much stronger then tanks which leads to "Maps need to have this+this so buildings are placed easier."

Its why we see some experimental maps that have debri in certian places to keep players from placing bases there. Units need a large scale in balance to make them vital and more so on the support units. (IE: MAD tanks). Some of these units will come into play and be more useful and even downright scary that can cause your opponents to pull armies back.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I actually agree with Smitty in terms of tank and infantry play. Because when it comes to army clashes you need an eye on the enemies base to what they have and what they COULD have. A few different units can break your army clash.
IMO, this aspect has more to do with unit balance, not map balance. Not going to discuss this.
I would say a good indicator would be how quickly a unit could reach a certain point. Perhaps MCV to an expansion? Maybe an APC to the spawn? Something like that. I feel that makes it much clearer on the size of the map. Comparing just spawn distances puts a map like Sidestep into a smaller map category even though it's obviously pretty big.
You bring up a good point regarding the MCV to expansion movements. I decided to take the average distance from a single spawn point to the closest ore mine in an expansion and divide that number by the Spawn-to-Spawn distance. I did this for several maps, and I've attached an example as a reference.

ImageImage

The average ratio (i'm just gonna call this R from now on) is 0.72 with a standard deviation of 0.11.

R is simply a ratio of the average ore-to-spawn distance to the spawn-to-spawn distance, and nothing more. By itself, it doesn't tell us anything about the size of the map, but when you compare it to other factors, it tells us a couple of interesting things, especially about the way maps play out.

Disregarding map-specific features (important middle, gem mines, etc), maps with an R above the average should favor aggressive play / rushes, while maps with an R closer lower than the average should favor defensive play / eco builds. Self explanatory, I hope. As for what is the "perfect" balance, I don't know what that is for sure. Judging from the maps that I sampled, I'm going to guess that anything under 0.6 is going to force the game into an economic standoff, and anything around 0.9 is going to force a lot of aggressive base pushes / attacks.

Now, if were to analyze the map features with respect to R, some stuff begins to be a little more clearer. If a map has limited options / overly important objectives and a high R value, the game will be very snowbally in the beginning and stalemate prone in the late game, much like what happens in Dual Cold Front. On the other side, maps with too low of a R value with limited options / overly important objectives will lean towards being passive in the beginning, and then create a late game snowball afterwards, kind of like how Patches works.

Knowing this, if I had to improve Dual Cold Front, I'd try to widen the middle by maybe 15 tiles to increase the spawn-spawn distance. From there, I would take this space to add options or to improve the preexisting options to that map, etc. If I had to improve Patches, knowing that this map has a low R value, I'd start by increasing the spawn-to-ore distance and the value of each base. Since you now have to move farther to get the ore, you need to rebalance the value of the ore mines that you moved, as well as the surrounding pathways to the ore mine (not to mention that harvesters like to wander around if the ore mines are too close to each other). Once people figure out how a particular feature fares at a certain R value, I think we'll be able to standardize the meta with a solid map pool.

It's a rough way to measure a map, but I think this would be a good reference point for map makers to use when they start to make a map. Calculating this is not that bad; just a couple of data entries in excel and you can calculate it in a minute. In addition, this could be used as a measuring stick of sorts. If were to look at Sidestep for instance, I could say that chokes function best when they're used as a small backdoor on a high R map. When comparing River Crossing to Winter Storm 2, both of which are low R maps, longer chokes function better when they lead to multiple fronts, not just a single point.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Now were getting somewhere.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Using the feedback and information from this thread I made a new map : http://resource.openra.net/maps/20145/

It's not finished yet, but it's at least playable enough for us to figure out if the map is an improvement over the current map pool. The map has all of the RAGL yaml changes included. I stole key features from some maps that I thought had great ideas, but could be improved upon; most notably the beach tiles from Apocalypse Now, the capturable Civilian buildings from Monty Hall, and the new Desert Rats corridor.

For those of you who have some free time, please test out the map and leave some feedback. In particular, I'm curious if the spawn and ore locations make a noticeable difference to how the game develops.

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

OMnom wrote: Using the feedback and information from this thread I made a new map : http://resource.openra.net/maps/20145/
This map looks very good to me, if it was in the map competition it might have gotten my vote! (I'm still figuring out which maps I will go for)

I like the layout and the size (not too big), and especially the small entrances in between the cliffs in the top right and bottom left, I managed to use it to sneak an engineer into a few Rush AI structures. :D
I also like the capturable buildings, allthough new players would probably have no idea about this possibility.

One thing I noticed is the lake on the left has a relatively large water part that's uncrossable compared to the other three.

Aestheticly, some minor things I would suggest is making the forests in the corners a little more open, and spice it up with for instance cliffs and debris (my personal opinion, I don't really like overlapping trees). Also I would make the edges of the ore fields a little more random instead of square. A quick example:

But overall a really good map!