Red Alert Global League - The Rulebook

The complete RAGL, Season 3 play format!

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
SoScared

Red Alert Global League - The Rulebook

Post by SoScared »

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]The Rulebook[/align]

[align=center]Prize Pool!

Current total: $666,66

Chris_f $205, SoScared $100, Barf $90, LorryDriver $66.66, NoobMapMaker $50, Anonymous $50, Wippie $30, Moz $25, Raishiwi $25, Vasiv $25[/align]

[align=center]Kel Pool!

Current total: 250 Kel

Jazz_KCS 100 Kel, SoScared 100 Kel, MustaphaTR 50 Kel[/align]

[align=center]For details on prize pool and Kel contributions, check out the Prize Pool section at the end of this post. Thanks![/align]

The Rulebook - Content
  • Introduction
  • Registrations
  • Emails: Contact & Match Scheduling
  • Emails: Delay Notices
  • Emails: Failed Contacts
  • Season and League Forfeits
  • Disconnects during a match
  • Disputes
  • Game settings
  • Map pool for Season 3
  • Replay files: Renaming and Uploading
  • Email: Reporting Results
  • Streaming and casting
  • Prize Pool contributions
  • Current Prize Pool, Kel Pool

Introduction

RAGL, Season 3 is played out over 13 weeks, including two break weeks, from March 6th through June 4th of 2017. During this time the players within each division will have 2 matches vs 11 opponents, playing for match-points to be added to a score table. There will be a maximum of 12 players for every division. The score tables decides who wins prizes and titles as well as promotions, qualifiers and relegation towards other divisions.

Match-ups are tacked on to weeks/rounds, in which players have to play their match-ups against a specific opponent. Official communications between the players and with league officials are primarily done through email, involving reporting results and various league business.

Registrations (also see: Season 3 Registrations thread)

For Season 3, all players have until February 28th (23:59 UTC) to register/confirm their participation. It is strongly recommended that players prioritize an active email account in order to reduce response time with messages from players or league officials.

Registration emails from new players are titled REGISTRATION and must include the following:
  • Nick that will be used throughout the season.
  • 3-lettered initials for tagging replays (e.g. SoScared = SOS).
  • Country and timezone expressed in UTC (see http://www.timeanddate.com)
Players transferring over from a previous season don't have to provide any other information than the expressed confirmation, with exception of Masters' players who will have to give up a faction pick that will be used throughout the season. Recurring players simply register with an email titled CONFIRMATION.

Recurring players are seeded per guidelines provided by the previous season results. New players are placed in available spots on a first-come, first served basis.

Emails: Contact & Match Scheduling

All participating players are themselves responsible for their weekly matches. Players have provided active email addresses as a means of guaranteed contact availability and email correspondence is the official recognized means of which players schedule their match-ups, report delays, disputes and failed contact. However, at the discretion of the players, any venue of contact can be used as long as you recognize that league officials will be of limited help should things go awry. League officials cannot guarantee or take responsibility for information processed outside email correspondences. Email lists are provided to all players within their respective divisions by Saturday, March 4th. Email lists are not publicized beyond the division.

As a general tip, be first out early on with a simple 'Hello' and provide information to when it suits you best to play. Initiate contact at the start of the week/round (Monday), or perhaps even the day before.

Emails: Delay Notices

The unforeseen will happen and so you might as well learn this procedure well (as with 'Emails: Failed Contact' below). In the event you need to delay a match-up for any reason you will have to send a delay notice per email (titled DELAY) to both your opponent and the league officials. The player don't need to give up a reason for the delay. The reasons for the delay are not publicized should the player wish to give one. The delay notice will be available on the forum's RA:GL Scoreboard thread until the delayed match-ups has been played.
The delay notice must include at minimum:
  • The week/round and match-up that is delayed.
  • To which week/round you need to delay it to
Further:
  • Delay notices must be sent no later than the next week's Monday at 14:00/2:00PM UTC.
  • Players can have up to 3 delay notices running simultaneously.
  • Matches can be delayed up until 1 week past the final round of the season.
Worth noting, the league has no rules regarding matches being played before their designated rounds. If you foresee some scheduled conflict there's nothing to stop you from attempting getting some match-ups done earlier.

Emails: Failed Contact

An opponent may fail to respond or properly during a week/round. The moment you suspect your match-up may be in jeopardy you should send a 'Failed Contact' notice per email (titled FAILED CONTACT) as soon as possible. This notice is overridden immediately if you follow up later that same week with a Result Report or a Delay Notice. The 'Failed Contact' notice also protects you from unfair penalties granted by league officials due to unreported matches. If, for whatever reason, a failed contact notice is sent by both players before the end of the week/round, the event is converted into a delay notice, delaying their match-up by +1 week/round.

An unreported matches without a Delay or Failed Contact notice are rewarded with a strike. 3 strikes results in a League Forfeit.

Season and League Forfeits

There's no reason having to be disgracefully booted out of the league just because you find yourself unable to fulfill your obligations. There are two ways of doing this:

Season Forfeit is sent per email (titled SEASON FORFEIT) in order to forfeit the current season, immediately placing you last in your division. Naturally you'll be relegated down one division and will be able to participate next season from that particular division.

League Forfeit is sent per email (titled LEAGUE FORFEIT) in order to quit the league altogether. You'll be placed last in your division and simply "bottom out" once the current season is completed.

You do not need to give up a reason for Season or League Forfeits.

Disconnects during a match

Players decide between themselves the outcome of a disconnected game. If the players cannot come to an agreement, they will have to submit the replay to the official (titled DISCONNECT) for evaluation. The evaluation will likely demand a rematch unless the match is undoubtedly decided towards one player. The final word will be up the the official evaluating regardless. Players who disconnects more than 3 times during a season will forfeit the match points of their remaining disconnected matches regardless of the state of the ongoing match.

Disputes

Disputes are sent per email (titled DISPUTE or CORRECTION) to a league official in the event it is believed the officials has handled a situation incorrectly or has recorded erroneous information. The league officials reserves the right to make the final call in disputed situations with the health of the league in mind.

Game settings

All players will play a 'host' and a 'guest' match every week/round against an opponent. The host player simply picks the map. Both host and guest matches counts towards 1 point.
The standard game settings in the game lobby should be familiar to all players. These will be used consistently across all divisions with one exception:
  • Masters' League participants are required to pick 1 faction for the duration of the tournament. This also includes random Allies/Soviet or 'Any'.
The rest of the settings goes as follows:
  • Explored Map: On
  • Short Game : On
  • Fog of War : On
  • Crates [tab] : Off
  • Debug Menu : Off
  • Starting Cash : $5000
  • Tech Level : Unrestricted
  • Starting Units : MCV Only
  • Game Speed : Normal
Player spots has to be random.

The league will by default always run on the latest release. In the event a new release is shipped during an ongoing season, both releases are acceptable for that given week/round of the new release date. Using Playtest is allowed at the discretion of the players. Exploiting bugs during a match on a playtest disqualifies the match played. Both players in a match will have to agree if a playtest is to be used.

League tables: Placements and tie-breakers

Players are ranked within each division based on match points. In the event of tied points at the end of the season, the players will be ranked against each other based on:
  1. Result from the players' current seasons' match-up.
  2. Highest guest points.
  3. Rematch best-of-3
Meaning the match-up between players will primarily decide the ranking. In the event this match-up went 1-1 (or the match failed to report) the secondary tie breaker is the higher guest points. In the event that the primary and secondary tie-breaker don't break the tie the player are set to play a Best-of-3 post-season to determine the placements.

Map pool for Season 3

All maps used in RAGL, Season 3 are custom maps including a few balance changes prepared towards the official development branch. The balance changes involves the def. structure costs, Barracks and A.Tech Center HP and MCV build time (see changelog: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/C ... #red-alert). Full map pack (.zip): https://www.dropbox.com/s/outh454h1cbz0 ... k.zip?dl=0
Map revisions (deviating from more widely distributed versions) are described on the resource center (linked).

Replay files: Renaming and Uploading

Replay files are the sole documentation of the matches played and thus should be treated with great care. The host player bears the responsibility to have the file uploaded. Upon agreement the guest player or spectator can upload the replay file.

The replay files will have to be renamed specifically before uploading. In your folder or your replay viewer, delete the ENTIRE filename and replace it with:

RAGL-S03-[MASTER/MINION/RECRUIT]-RXX-[host initials]-[guest initials], all letters in CAPS.

S03 stands for Season 3, RXX stands for Round and then XX a round number (01, 02, 03 etc.).

Example: In Season 1, SoScared played a host and guest match against PersianImmortal, and the players agreed for SoScared to upload them both. They both play in the Minions' Division. The matches was played on 25th of April 2016 which, according to the schedule table, coincides with 'Round 04'. The players' given initials are SOS for SoScared and PSI for PersianImmortal. The replay files for these matches would be:

SoScared's host match: RAGL-S01-MINION-R04-SOS-PSI

PersianImmortal's host match: RAGL-S01-MINION-R04-PSI-SOS

Replay files not properly renamed will not be accepted.

All replays are uploaded to Jazz_KCS's file server: http://64hdb.mine.nu:5534/mIRROR/ora_re ... son_Three/ In the correct Round and Division sub-folder, click the 'Upload files' link on the right side of the page. You'll have to rename the replay file before uploading. If the replay is uploaded erroneously, re-upload the correct file and notify the tournament official so that the wrong file can be removed.

Emails: Reporting Results

After the replay files are uploaded the results are reported per email (titled RESULTS). The report needs to include who won the host and guest matches. As with replay files the host player is ultimately responsible for reporting the results but practically it is sufficient for one of the players in a match-up to report the results. The results can be shared with a league official through any means but as stated earlier, league officials cannot guarantee a fair count of your match points without the Result Report by email.

Streaming and casting

The Red Alert Global League is not affiliated with any streams or vod channels. This means that anyone that wishes it should feel free to stream and cast players' matches as they see fit. However, streamers of the event will need to add a minimum of 3 minute delay to their streams when covering an official Live league match.

Prize Pool contributions

For those interested, a personal email account SoScared123@Gmail.com is connected via PayPal to host the prize pool contributions. Just send a payment through PayPal to that email address via PayPal and in the 'Write a note' section either write your playername/name or state if you wish to remain anonymous given that all individual contributions will be listed in this post under 'Current Prize Pool'. Further you can add a request as to how you would want your contribution to be paid to the league positions specifically (including all divisions). By default the prizepool will be split among the divisions (roughly estimated) 75% Master's Division (top 3), 25% Minions' Division (top 2). PayPal contributions are converted into Dollars ($), if you send money in your local currency the prizepool host will cover the conversion fees. Future seasons may convert the prizepool in Euros (€).

In this season you can also donate Kel which is a forum currency on Sleipnir's Stuff to which you can shop for some features such as the Quick Reply, Custom Avatar, Signature etc. Kel donated to 'SoScared' are added to a Kel prizepool that will be awarded to all the Season 3 division winners.

Current Season 3 prize pool

Contributions:

$205 - Chrisf
$100 - SoScared
$90 - Barf
$66.66 - LorryDriver
$50 - NoobMapMaker
$50 - Anonymous
$30 - Wippie
$25 - Moz
$25 - Raishiwi
$25 - Vasiv

Current prize pool, Season 3: $666.66

Prize Pool specifics requests: Masters' 1st: +$55.55, Masters' 2nd: +$11.11

Current Kel pool:

100 Kel - Jazz_KCS
100 Kel - SoScared
50 Kel - MustaphaTR

Current Kelpool: 250 Kel

RAGL officials:

Jazz_KCS
SoScared

RAGL graphic designer:

Warman

League officials reserve the rights to alter or override the rulebook during an ongoing season. All players will be immediately notified if any substantial changes are made during the season. For all inquiries you can contact us at OpenRA.RAGL@Gmail.com or reply on this thread.

Discussion and feedback on the rulebook Season 3 is also encouraged below.
Last edited by SoScared on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 23 times in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

This was drafted a bit roughly using the Season 2 Rulebook but I promised to have it ready by 19th so here it is. I'll try refining it further but please share your thoughts on it and let me know of errors. I'd like it to be as clear and concise as possible.

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

Looks like this bit needs revision considering the league is using custom maps this time around (allied static defenses + $):

"The league will always run on the latest release. In the event a new release is shipped during an ongoing season, both releases are acceptable for that given week/round of the new release date. "

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Yeah I guess I'll have to be quick on the trigger updating the custom maps with the next release.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Once a new release hits, the maps will be updated swiftly, and there will be an interims-week (where both releases are allowed). Afterwards, only the new release will be allowed.

Exactly like last seasons.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Added prize pool "ticker" in the top of OP.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Deviation from the Rulebook (will update the op later):

Disallowed bug exploit: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/12558

Also, players from Season 2 will have up until March 4th to confirm their player spots. Public registrations closes 28th 23:59 UTC as planned.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Updated map pool.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

what happened to Warwind and Sidestep :? :cry:

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Well I wasn't expecting that map pool. Got to say am disappointed.
I can't believe Agenda, patches, green belt and winter storm 2 have beat maps such as WarWind, SideStep, RoadKings, Shadow fiend, A Nuclear winter and Ore Lord /(clone). I play almost everyday probably average 25+ hrs a week constant 1/1 and no one plays those maps. I don't think Global League should be used as an advertisement/ promotion of unused/underused maps they are kinda unused for a reason. PitFight, Behind the veil and dual cold front are good strong maps and produce solid games and am greatful you have entered at least 3 hardened combat tested maps.

Not trying to be a dick or upset anybody and after all it's Your league and am grateful for your hard work you put into running it but I think your map choices are very questionable this time around.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

I've gotta hop on the train, the map pool is really lackluster. Especially when sidestep seemed like a staple of balance, but there were also so many other great maps that were lobbied for. Thumbs down from me on the map pool.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Patches was created on 28/1/17
Played 1 time
Description: Its a 1v1 map. It may have too much ore, I dunno. It needs testing.

Patches RAGL
Played 5 times.

A month old map. a Total of 6 games played and it's in the league ? :/
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

In defense of SoScared this map pool is a big improvement from the S2 pool.

Sans Patches I can see an argument for each of the other maps being considered a 'Tournament Caliber' map. (I wouldn't agree with each argument, i.e. I'm not a fan at all of Dual Cold Front, but there are enough players that support each map to make said argument)

The main thing I appreciate about the pool is that it is 8 maps instead of 12. I managed to straight-up forget one of the maps in last season's pool until an opponent pulled it on me.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Map popularity was the main reason Sidestep, Warwind was picked off. I'm circulating. They're good maps but they've been in the center of attention constantly since the Europa League 2015 and its time to throw them out of the loop, at least for the season. The league is not a safe space peeps!

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I have to agree with Juicebox on this, while maps should be circulated, the big maps that are the most popular should not be touched, theyre a staple that are played atleast 4,5 times in every RA session I do, They're considered the best 1v1 maps by the majority of the community but arent in Global League, the best 1v1 tournament in the game? That makes zero sense to me. What your saying is like CSGO removing the AK47 from the game because its too popular and the worser rifles should get a chance, theres a reason its the most popular and its because theyre awesome. And for the maps circulated in im really dissapoonted. Shadowfiend and Roadkings are popular and have been played many of times. Ive never even heard of patches till now, the last time I saw Winterstorm v2 was when Kryrolo was playtesting he map ages ago. Greenbelt while not terrible gets played probably once a week by the spec train lobby. One thing i have noticed from the map pool is that the only map that supports the current meta in the pool is Pitfight, Shadowfiend and Roadkings heavily support the current established meta but are beaten to this pool by maps that dont support it and are barely ever played I dont want to speculate but there could be some bias regarded to that :?

Also Orelord (which was by far the most popular last season
according to Blackends statistics) hasn't been included. Thats fine but i think a clone should replace it like Central Village or Roadmaze.