RAGL: Play of the Season

$20 prize (warning: spoilers!)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Just watched Hamb vs Medium tank on Sidestep Round 4:
Medium Tank mined off the natural expansion ore patches of hamb. He was probably allready winning, but killing 4 harvesters on one patch with those mined is nice. Also around 8:40 one harvester manages to harvest around it in a crazy way.

By the way, a last thing from me in defense for Kyrylo: I know of two instances where he decided to not accept prize money and instead donated it to SoScared.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

noobmapmaker wrote: I know of two instances where he decided to not accept prize money and instead donated it to SoScared.
JOo wrote: yeah , i see that it doesnt do any good when there is money involved in the minions ... as it allows master to step down and cash up whenever they want to (regardless of their intention to do so , or not) , also just blocking the way up for other potentially new masters (that is actually the worse part of it) ...
i wont change my mind about this , even when he wins and donates it all back to the RAGL's ... because i consider that move as "trolling"

The other day i had a nice talk with Flamewh33l ... and he told me ... that there is basicly no reason for any recruit past a certain amount of lost matches to continue playing ... and i think he is right about that , why would someone that earned 0/8 - 0/10 before the first break-week still want to play ? they could just quit right now , because theres no way they can get out of the recruits ... and a SF or LF would just keep them in the recruits anyway ...

so you guys better check the recruit-replays for entertaining matches/replays ... cause those guys are literally on the dead end of the RAGL's ... and imo they should get encouraged to stay in their division and continue playing their matches

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

That is an issue indeed, and to be fair I dont really know how to fix that. Indeed why should they keep playing? Hopefully they will, just because thats kind and sportsmanlike. And indeed to possibly win the PotS :) I will look into Recruit games more. But please Recruits, do nominate your own plays!

I wonder how other competitions deal with this?

klaas

Post by klaas »

JOo wrote: snip
The reason to keep playing is to practice. Practice makes the master.

That being said, I can imagine it can be demotivating to lose a bunch of matches. On the other hand, you shouldn't join a league and not play competitively, so you should either use this as an encouragement to get better, or quit the league.

As to the whole discussion about the KYR-JAY chrono match thing, the play of the season would impress more if it's done from a underdog position. It's not necessary to make fuss about any entry though, good chrono tank play is good chrono tank play.

JOo

Post by JOo »

klaas wrote: The reason to keep playing is to practice. Practice makes the master.
That being said, I can imagine it can be demotivating to lose a bunch of matches. On the other hand, you shouldn't join a league and not play competitively, so you should either use this as an encouragement to get better, or quit the league..
The thing is , you dont need to stay in the league in order to get better ... or to practice ... its not like 1v1's are hard to find outside of the RAGLS ... a lot of people practicing over the week ...

Its not about demotivation , more about the question "does it even make sense to play further matches" theres nothing to gain what you couldnt get also outside of the league

"encouragement to get better, competitive thinking and sportsmanship" ... thats all nice ... but recruits who dont win ... always start from 0 again in every season

Maybe something like an "All-Time-Highscore" that tracks all the wins , could be a better encouragement ... so your wins dont just get lost in the next season

sry for offtopic

klaas

Post by klaas »

JOo wrote: The thing is , you dont need to stay in the league in order to get better ... or to practice ... its not like 1v1's are hard to find outside of the RAGLS ...
This is not entirely true. I know I play different in the RAGL games compared to normal games, and I know most people do. Being able to handle pressure is an important factor of getting on top of your opponent, I'm sure you know... ;-). Also, it's pretty cool you can watch some replays and prepare for a match, think of a specific tactic, which adds a layer to the strategy component. I know I use this, and I think it is at least a part of the succes of 5a in the league.

JOo

Post by JOo »

klaas wrote: Being able to handle pressure is an important factor of getting on top of your opponent,
A recruit with a result of 0/10 before the break-week has nothing that he can win... theres nothing that could "pressure" him because he cant reach a promotion nor a qualifier

klaas

Post by klaas »

In my last Masters games previous season there was nothing I could win, nothing I could lose, and still there was a decent amount of pressure to perform. Pressure I don't feel in a normal 1vs1, leave alone a 3vs3 with some random players. Pressure that makes the game much more enjoyable for me. I guess if you don't feel this, and you are not good enough to win games in the recruit division, there is little point in joining RAGL.

Sorry for derailing this topic even further... I'll nominate at least 1 play to make up for this, and MicroBit will also nominate at least 1 more.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I can find it difficult to get 1v1. Mostly people want to play team games. Also for 1v1 you need to find someone on a similar level really or it's pointless.

JOo

Post by JOo »

zinc wrote: Also for 1v1 you need to find someone on a similar level really or it's pointless.
thats wrong , you will get better when you play against better players ... even when you lose , the experience you gain helps you against other players.

are you actually playing in the league ?

you know that we are talking about "Red Alert" not TD right ? ... just jump on a dedicated server , choose a 1v1 map ... and wait for someone to join

zinc

Post by zinc »

Sure you can learn from better players. I meant it's pointless to play 1v1 against many players as it would be a completely unbalanced game and no fun to beat them up.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

For the record, I never actually voted for kyrylo's play to be the best. I simply recognized the skill of his play. I haven't seen enough of the action from the season yet to make any sure vote.
Last edited by jaymanxyz on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

TO: ALL FORUM COMMANDERS

for the record, i missclicked accidently and this enter message window appeared somehow. idk how that could have happened - it seems i just wrote <this>

TRANSMISSION ENDS.

ah right, yes, its a troll move!
he should use the money and host some bad ping compatible td server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Nominate Gatekeeper for his daring and risky 1 MCV play in R07 of the masters game against Fiveaces. He did a couple risky basewalks that all paid off, meanwhile fencing off Fiveaces' strong attacks.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Yeah, that was pretty ballsy play. Two yaks could have ended the game at several occasions. I personally don't really understand why you'd take a risk like that in a RAGL game... ;-)