Red Alert Global League - The Rulebook

The complete RAGL play format!

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
anjew

Post by anjew »

JOo wrote: uuuh , i dont think thats a good idea ... mixing the mods
The only reason its not a good idea is because most RA players can't play TD and the other half get elitist about which is better.

Since Im the one of the few cross-mod competitive players, id say its better to keep the communities segregated until a few more players feel like getting good at OpenRA, not just RA/TD.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Just a thought:

There are many new recruits, and some of them are pretty good (some better than myself). I think some of them could even have a shot at winning the masters devision, however, in the current format it will take a full year before they can enter this division.

Why not make get rid off the minions division, and just make all the other divisions feed into the masters? If 50% of the master spots are up for grabs, the flow in with new hot recruits can be quicker.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

klaas wrote: Just a thought:

There are many new recruits, and some of them are pretty good (some better than myself). I think some of them could even have a shot at winning the masters devision, however, in the current format it will take a full year before they can enter this division.

Why not make get rid off the minions division, and just make all the other divisions feed into the masters? If 50% of the master spots are up for grabs, the flow in with new hot recruits can be quicker.
There have been thoughts about exactly this, albeit I am pretty sure that the Minions division will be kept.
We will - however - have additional events specifically for those players that stand out of their division in terms of points, and those players will have the opportunity to actually climb up even further/even skipping whole divisions [by having to redeem that obviously by having to fight higher divisions players in a "best of x" scenario, for example, in order to justify/proof that they exceed their current division by far in terms of skill].

There is no more information available atm, but be sure that there will be special "tests" for "special pupils" enabling them to basically "skip a class", but only in very rare cases where their score actually justifies that.

Stay tuned. and keep in mind, these are - by now - only thoughts that have been uttered, nothing is written in stone at this point, but you can be sure that there will be additional events exactly for this reason. Also keep in mind that SoScared - because of this giant player influx into the recruits divisions - always has the right to do some weird/albeit fair shuffeling in order to accomodate for this aforementioned influx.
Last edited by jaZz_KCS on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

anjew

Post by anjew »

klaas wrote: Just a thought:

\

This divisions format is actually widely used in competitive events, including sports. The idea is that you must prove you can win your division before moving onto the next. This shows progression of players skills and to ensure each division is legitimately decided based on skill so players don't get in over their heads. You can argue that the Master's division wasn't originally decided on by skill but you have to start somewhere.

Also there is already a 40% turnover rate in the Masters Division, with 2 players instantly dropping and 3 players proving they should remain. I personally think it should be four but thats just my opinion. A higher turnover rate with no qualifications means that you will have a very destabilised league that will have good players being removed for the sake of letting less skilled players have a go at the top. Which would also make the whole league setup very noncompetitive and non-representative of skill.

Players who are very skillful will rise through 2 divisions very easily. Look at OzzyOuzu's results. He absolutely dominated his division and now he has to do it again in order to get to the Masters Division. If he advances straight to Master's division, that circumvents every player in the Division ahead of him without knowing if he can actually handle his own.

Events specifically for allowing 1 player to skip based on subjective opinions of their skills as well as how well they face a particular opponent on a particular day are uncompetitive in nature. An average player could have a lucky 3 matches and beat the top player in a best of 5, then get completely squashed in the league results meaning that someone who earns their spot over the process of 2 seasons can get kicked out to appease this person. Maybe if it was done in a tournament approach and there was no specifications on who gets to join so as to be equal then it would be competitive.

Just my two cents. I'm someone who really values the legitimacy of competitions and ensure that the top players are in fact the top players.

JOo

Post by JOo »

@klaas : maybe we could take a good player from the recruits ... and switch him with anjew ...

cause last season he went 1/11 in the masters , which makes me think of "how the f**** did he even get up there ...

:D

anjew

Post by anjew »

Ill be waiting up in masters for you mate. Try not to blow your second chance in minions :P

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

JOo wrote: @klaas : maybe we could take a good player from the recruits ... and switch him with anjew ...

cause last season he went 1/11 in the masters , which makes me think of "how the f**** did he even get up there ...

anjew wrote: :D
Ill be waiting up in masters for you mate. Try not to blow your second chance in minions :P
*holds fingers Mr Burns - style* "Excellent, they are already at it..."

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Looking awesome! Also thanks Jazz for the technical support and making OpenRA better overall.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Leaking from the draft:

Promotion/relegation/qualifiers

Masters/Minons will have 2-for-2 direct promotions/relegations and a 2-for-2 qualifiers.

Minions/Recruits(Alpha + Beta, two divisions) will have 4 for 4 direct promotions/relegations and a 1 for 1 qualifier (5th lowest placed Minions' player vs the best Recruit 3rd place finisher, decided by a best-of-5)

Additionally, the best Recruit Division winner (decided by a best-of-5) will fight against the 4th best Minions' player (best-of-5) for access to the Masters' Division qualifier against the 3rd lowest Masters' Division player (best-of-5).
This 3-step qualifier is called 'The Path of the Hidden Master' and will allow for a superior player to access the Masters' Division from the Recruit Division off of 1 season.

Prizepool payout ($805 total)

Masters' Division:
  1. $270
  2. $155
  3. $90
  4. $55
  5. $30
Minions' Division:
  1. $105
  2. $65
  3. $35
Recruit Division payout was decided against in favor of rewarding dedicated players in the top divisions.

Kelpool payout (405 kel total) :)

All Division Winners: 100 kel

SoScared's commision: 5 kel
MUHAHAHAHAHA
Last edited by SoScared on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

The division tables (likely setup, not yet official)

Masters' Division (12 players)
  • Abcdefg30 (Germany)
  • Anjew (Australia)
  • Barf (USA)
  • FiveAces (Austria)
  • Gatekeeper (Netherlands)
  • Hamb (Canada)
  • Kazu (Germany)
  • Klaas (Netherlands)
  • Medium Tank (USA)
  • Murto The Ray (UK, Scotland)
  • SoScared (Norway)
  • Testosterone Rex (Netherlands)

Minions' Division (12 players)
  • Fahrrad (Germany)
  • FRenzy (France)
  • Han (Germany)
  • Henry The Slav (Czech Republic)
  • Jayman (USA)
  • JuiceBox (UK, England)
  • Kyrylo (Ukraine)
  • MicroBit (Austria)
  • NoobMapMaker (Netherlands)
  • OzzyOuzo (France)
  • Stepexxx (Czech Republic)
  • T (USA)

Recruit Division Alpha (12 players)
  • American Blunt (USA)
  • Blackened (USA)
  • Chewey (New Zealand)
  • FasTSlack (Argentina)
  • Flamewh33l (UK, England)
  • Fundahl (USA)
  • Lucassss (Israel)
  • Naigel (Italy)
  • Raymundo (USA)
  • Smitty (USA)
  • Snake (Germany)
  • Zaqzorn (UK, England)

Recruit Division Beta (12 players)
  • Bone.Superr0x (Hungary)
  • Chrisf (New Zealand)
  • Insomnic (Sweden)
  • Jamesasthenia (UK)
  • Kuba (Poland)
  • LeugensVanBedrog (Greece)
  • LorryDriver (Germany)
  • Orb (USA)
  • Paja (Czech Republic)
  • SirCake (Germany)
  • Strateeg (Estonia)
  • Wee Man (USA)

Substitute players
  1. Strelkov (Russia)
Recruit Division Alpha and Beta are on equal terms regarding promotions/qualifiers.

Substitute players are offered a Recruit spot if by round 3 a player has collected 2 strikes due to absense.

Once the full setup goes official (Saturday evening) all players are sent all neccessary information through their registered email accounts.
Last edited by SoScared on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

should call the alpha-recruits with 5 us-players in it the "Murica Division"

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

New playtest available TODAY!

Is that the version we will play with?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

klaas

Post by klaas »

noobmapmaker wrote: New playtest available TODAY!

The rulebook (used) to say you have to play the most current release.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

klaas wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: New playtest available TODAY!

The rulebook (used) to say you have to play the most current release.
The Rulebook is very clear on that.
If I may quote:
"The league will always run on the latest release."

Ergo, no playtests. If a new release arrives midseason, there will - as last season - be an "interims-round" (1 week) in which both releases are allowed. Afterwards, only the newest release is allowed.
Players are encouraged though - if a new release pops up - to switch as quickly as possible.
Again - to make this clear - no playtests, ever. Games played on playtest versions will not count, even if both players agreed to play on it.

I would also like to take this opportunity to again remind all RAGL veterans as well as newcomers to upload the replays of the league games they play (one upload per game from one contestant is enough, of course) to the webserver.

This includes the reporting of results of games to the official RAGL email account, as well (again, one player reporting is enough per game.)

Remember: Both of these requirements have to be met in order for the games to count!

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Blackened wrote: Do you want us to differentiate between recruit divisions when uploading replays? i.e. RAGL-S02-RECRUITA-R01-ARG-BLK OR RECRUITALPHA?
No need, as there are - as you will see - different subdirectories for each Recruit Division

---------

RAGL Round 01 has been successfully concluded.
[64H] Servers are down for maintenance and should be back in time for the regular Monday evening stream.