Map Design Contest - The Results

And the winner is...

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Madness

Post by Madness »

What happens with the winning maps? Will they get added to the main build?

Also thanks to everyone who voted for my map!

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

noobmapmaker wrote: The popular vote has me in doubt. On one side I want the people to have a vote as they are the one who will play the map and its nice to be able to have a little influence. On the other hand its difficult to control the popular vote and do it in a fair way. If the contest is done another time we'll have to see what works well.
What I have sometimes seen in other forums when there's a contest, is that each member can give a total of 5 (or any number of) points to the entries, and they can choose if they give all 5 points to one map, or 3 points here and 2 points there, or 2, 1, 1 and 1, etc.
They would give the points by posting their vote in the thread, so that you can make sure people don't vote for their own maps (which I'm sure nobody here has done, I trust this community ;) )
This would mean they would not be voting anonymously though, but I would be fine with that.
noobmapmaker wrote: Also next time maps will only be able to have a single category (and automatically join their mod-category). It will solve some minor problems.
Personally I would suggest seperating the modded maps from the non-modded maps, because I think modding requires a completely different skillset, and in the case of Mac users like me, a completely different computer too. :lol:

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

Wow, I guess I really need to check out Red Zone when I get home.

Also a nice round hundred for Through Road, pretty happy with that score.

Thanks Noobmapmaker for putting on this contest and to Anjew and SoScared for helping judge!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Madness wrote: What happens with the winning maps? Will they get added to the main build?

Also thanks to everyone who voted for my map!
Up to the devs to pick any or none of the maps! It's not an official prize of the contest.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

PizzaAtomica wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: The popular vote has me in doubt. On one side I want the people to have a vote as they are the one who will play the map and its nice to be able to have a little influence. On the other hand its difficult to control the popular vote and do it in a fair way. If the contest is done another time we'll have to see what works well.
What I have sometimes seen in other forums when there's a contest, is that each member can give a total of 5 (or any number of) points to the entries, and they can choose if they give all 5 points to one map, or 3 points here and 2 points there, or 2, 1, 1 and 1, etc.
They would give the points by posting their vote in the thread, so that you can make sure people don't vote for their own maps (which I'm sure nobody here has done, I trust this community ;) )
This would mean they would not be voting anonymously though, but I would be fine with that.
noobmapmaker wrote: Also next time maps will only be able to have a single category (and automatically join their mod-category). It will solve some minor problems.
Personally I would suggest seperating the modded maps from the non-modded maps, because I think modding requires a completely different skillset, and in the case of Mac users like me, a completely different computer too. :lol:
Two good suggestions!

Public voting as well with the printsystem. Makes cheating more difficult. Voting on your own map, once, was actually allowed!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

libbmaster

Post by libbmaster »

Super-duper late here but: congratulations to the winners!

I've got plenty of study material here if want to up my game. I can't believe how professional desert rats looks, it certainly deserved its win.

EDIT: here's a suggestion for next time: maybe only do one category at a time (only 2v2 maps, or only single player maps). I feel like that would make the play-testing, voting, and scoring process much easier!