Red Alert Global League - FiveAces, Season 1 League Champion

Final standing & prizes!

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
SoScared

Red Alert Global League - FiveAces, Season 1 League Champion

Post by SoScared »

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]See: League Tables[/align]

With 184 registered matches played over the course of 3 months, Season 1 (hidden beta ;) ) of the Red Alert Global League is officially concluded! A big thank you for everyone participating this season, laying the cornerstone for a continuous competetive event and a venue for people to meet and play some good games, both for fun and for prestige. But before we start planning future filled stadiums on par with LoL events, let's have a closer look at how season 1 went for our participating players.

The final matches of the Masters' and Minion's Division came in late but managed to hold off the end results and a lot of anticipation for the league's top placements.

SPOLERS BELOW - go to 'League Tables' for replay files

[align=center]Masters' Division[/align]

In the Masters' Division FiveAces was to match Medium Tank and Klaas to fight for the last 4 points after Murto The Ray took a 2-point lead when completing all his games for the season. FiveAces' first match-up vs Medium Tank looked to be a league clencher after a quick strong-armed win for FiveAces on Medium Tank's host map Ore Lord but with a surprise turn of events on FiveAces' host map Singles, Medium Tank managed to take away a point after pulling off both of Ukraine's special traits within minutes of each other, blasting his way through the middle and making his way towards FiveAces' main base.

With 1 point away from the top still, the last match-up vs Klaas proved to be a big toss-up after Klaas delivered a grade-A match on his host map Ore Lord and took a match point, leaving FiveAces with one last match and final shot at winning the League. On map Sidestep, FiveAces final host map, the battle turned out to be a slug fest after both players tech their radar dome and tech center (both spawning Soviet) before their 1st expansion - normally an unprescedented move on the map but with both players going for the same unorthodox opener the match unraveled into a Worl War 1 style of death and destruction leaving both sides with huge asset losses. The game flowed back and forth but at one point when it looked like FiveAces was about to be completely contained to his main base, Klaas looked to overcommit with shock troopers against FiveAces' V2's left and right leaving Klaas with little assets left to contain FiveAces at his main base. FiveAces eventually reclaimed his original 1st expansion and started to gain on one of his main strength as an OpenRA player - durability - which allowed him to engage in favorable battles against a fatigued Klaas, supported by harassing MiGs, making the match somewhat one-sided the last 5 minutes. FiveAces claimed victory after pushing with a Heavy Tank based army, cleaning up Klaas' 1st and 2nd expansions in one swoop before knocking on the front door of Klaas' main base.

The League title for FiveAces is claimed after a tie-breaker with Murto The Ray, referring to their earlier match-up in which FiveAces won a 2-0, avoiding an additional tie-breaker best-of-5 to decide the winner.

Congratulations to FiveAces for a great performance in the Masters' Division in the first season of the Red Alert Global League, resulting in a champion title, braggin rights and a nice lump sum of $145 as a division winner!! Murto The Ray claims 2nd place prize of $55 and Medium Tank 3rd place prize of $25!

[align=center]Minions' Division[/align]

Just like with the Master's Division the Minions' Division's top spots was decided by the last round. The top 3 spots in the Minions' Division was contended by Abcdefg30, Kazu and myself (SoScared) throughout the entire season. With a super close race all the way to the end it all came down to a delayed match-up between Abcdefg30 and Kazu. After a decisive 2-0 victory for Kazu he managed to claim 1st place with a well earned $40 payout, pushing me down to 2nd and Abcdefg30 on 3rd.

Congratulations to Kazu for winning the Minions' Division Season 1, taking the competetive scene by storm with rock solid performance, making a name for himself in the community and we look forward to see him play in the next season's Masters' Divsion!

Forfeits in the Masters' Divsion opened up for 5 promotional spots in the Minions' for division advancement. The top 5 Minions' players; Kazu, SoScared, Abcdefg30, Hamb (4th) and Testosterone Rex (5th) will have the opportunity to add on to the top division's ultra competetive scene next season.

[align=center]Recruit Division[/align]

As opposed to the divisions above, the Recruit Division has been running with a top contender favourite, OzzyOuzu, which at the start of the season declared his intent on finishing at the very top. He delivered on his promise and losing only 1 match against Flecken he managed to distance himself 4 points down to 2nd place, held by player Han (despite having 2 matches less played compared to the top finishers!). Below OzzyOuzu the rest of the field was involved in a tight race for the top spots which ended up having six advancement spots into the next seasons' Minions' Division. Together with OzzyOuzo and Han, player T (3rd), Flecken (4th), GoldenHippo (5th) and DazUltra (6th) will have the opportunity to play in the next season's Minions' Division.

Congratulations to OzzyOuzo for delivering on his promise to ace the field and secure his advancement into the Minions' Division and for making himself a serious contender for future play in the Master's Division!

Also kudos to all the players in the Recruit Division for staying the course in a field of absent matches towards the end of the season and a special thanks to player General who despite having less competetive experience compared to the field still completed every match in his division, taking the initiative on his weekly matches and contributing to the health and legitimacy of the Recruit Division's first season.

[align=center]Play of the Season Award - Gatekeeper![/align]
[align=center]
Sponsored by NoobMapMaker, the play of the season award was given Gatekeeper together with a $10 prize for a quick play that flipped the match in his favor![/align]

[align=center]Thank you everyone![/align]

The Red Alert Global League has benefited from a flying start thanks to the interest and involvement of all it's participating players. From the viewpoint of the time the idea of a Red Alert league was conceived the experience of season 1 has passed all expectations with countless of great games and a considerable prizepool. We can look towards the next season with anticipation but first it will be crucial to review and improve upon the established format. Regardless the next season of RAGL is aimed to take off Monday, September 5th. This gives us limited time to advance the format in before the next season but is aimed towards establishing Sep-Nov and March-May seasons wich would then have stable 3 month in-betweens. Registrations for season 2 will be open 2 weeks between August 15th-31st. Existing players will have August 1st through 31st to confirm their spots in the league.

For any disputes or questions regarding Season 1, send me a PM or email. A dispute or request for documentation must be sent in before August 1st as all RAGL email threads will be deleted from my personal email account in preperation for an official RAGL email account used with the next season.

Please hold your discussions/feedback for an official post-season discussion thread starting next Monday!

Cheers,
SoScared
Last edited by SoScared on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 12 times in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

What is the play of the season? You may decide! Will respond later, but thoroughly enjoyed season 1.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I'm afraid the Play Of The Season got lost in the beurocracy D:

I'm gonna need help with this one. There's just too much material.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ill look in my email, I've watched alot and during the season Ive sent two emails with instancs that I thought where nice moves/comebacks.

*edit: Ive found 1 email, and I think I have sent you a PM here on sleipnir earlier during the season. I dont have it anymore, had to delete a bunch of PM's due to the maps that filled my inbox. Check your inbox, maybe you still have it. It was called "PotS" iirc.

But perhaps the players themselves recall an awesome play against them or by themselves?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

but also wanted to say that I really enjoyed it. I think you've met the goals set for this competition: it has created real competitive play (with HQ games and casts as a result) and it gave OpenRA some sort of structure in terms of player strength. I expect next season to be even better: the less motivated people dropped out and hopefully some freshly motivated people sign up for the recruits.

Also hope that the map pool will be expanded with some new maps. I think it's nice to make it more difficult to be prepared for every map. The more maps, the more difficult it is to prepare a map.

And ofcourse congrats FiveAces, Kazu and OzzyOuzo!

Looking forward to next season!

JOo

Post by JOo »

antares79 (obrakmann) updated the battlefield news

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRAWeb/pull/304

Concret

Post by Concret »

What a fantastic write-up on events in all divisions! Great hosting SoScared.

Nice to see some competition going on in the divisions. Good luck to FiveAces defending and to Kazu fighting for next seasons top spots!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Updated the text due to error in the Recruit Division points - player Han took 2nd place below OzzyOuzo with 9 points.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Added the Play of the Season award to the main post!