Map Design Contest

April - June ($70 prizepool!)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I say let them qualify for both categories :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Hmm, I d say a map can only apply for a maximum of 2 categories, the mapmaker may decide which ones. To prevent people making maps that serve as many categories as possible ("I modded the health of the MAD tank so it's also a modded map!")
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

OmegaBolt

Post by OmegaBolt »

What about maps that were made earlier? I guess they are disallowed, because if they're already on the resource center they're no longer anonymous. But would that be checked? Pardon if I missed the info on that, but I didn't notice anything specific.

Also maybe you should add a clause like, all maps should me made to work with the latest release version?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Added your comments, Omega.

libbmaster

Post by libbmaster »

How am I supposed to get a screen shot of the whole map?

My screenshot command does not seem to work. (Well, I'm not sure: I can't find the screen shot folder!)

Would a picture of the map with players on it be acceptable?

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Hello libbmaster,

Your screenshots should be located at:
Documents>OpenRA>Screenshots>ra>release-20151224

The optimal way to get a picture of your whole map is to simply open it in the map editor and choose the furthest zoom level and snap a picture. This may not work so well with all maps however.

So get your map out there :)

libbmaster

Post by libbmaster »

jaymanxyz wrote: Hello libbmaster,

Your screenshots should be located at:
Documents>OpenRA>Screenshots>ra>release-20151224

The optimal way to get a picture of your whole map is to simply open it in the map editor and choose the furthest zoom level and snap a picture. This may not work so well with all maps however.

So get your map out there :)
Thanks for the help, I got it now!

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

Now this sounds like my kind of contest! :D I will definitely be entering some maps.

One question, after the contest is over, will we be able to re-upload the maps under our own name to the resource center? I like to have all my maps in one place :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yes, I will delete all maps and people may reupload them under their own names. Credit where credit is due.

klaas

Post by klaas »

I guess you can't really upload your map to the resource center to test it, and delete it again? Or is this OK, don't ask don't tell?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Up to you! There's not alot of harm to do it as the biggest 'risk' is that if it's there to long one of the jurymembers and/or the public know it's your map. Personally I dont really look around on the resourcecenter, so I wouldn't see it.

And you can also test it against AI, as you ofcourse know.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The map format changed three or four times since the release, does the contest rules allow playtest maps?

Also, there are no limit on entries from a single mapper, notsure if that's fair.

On the other hand hf and gl to everybody who enters this competition, maps are always cool.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

The maps must work in the latest official release (v. 20151224).

When it comes to multiple maps.. people have to make sure they're good! One can upload 10 maps, but if they are low effort maps then another person who has made 1 awesome map might have more chance to win actually. In the end it is indeed a contest for fun with some nice maps as a bonus.

klaas

Post by klaas »

noobmapmaker wrote: And you can also test it against AI, as you of course know.
Yes I know. The AI thought my map was OK, but it preferred a map with less features, and all the ore close to it's initial spawn.

I also don't care if people submit 10 maps, but maybe submitting only 1 map for each category would be a compromise?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I didnt know there was a new playtest and now understand what you meant with the map formats. If im correct we are able to fix maps from the old versions when I upload them to the resource center and parse them.

So everyone can keep making their maps in their old version, unless it is a very complex mission or something, but I hope that kind of problems will not happen or in just 1 or 2 cases.

As for the multiple maps issue. Ill just keep an eye on it. If a person really starts swamping the competition ill just have a talk and ask to select a top-5 or something. I try not to add to many rules as that could limit creativity/participation.