Tournament (part 2)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Ripsn

Tournament (part 2)

Post by Ripsn »

Ok. im commited to this tournament now.
was waiting to speak to someone about the site it supposed to be hosted on, but that can wait for now.
i will look to have all tournament details organized and posted within a week.

WE NEED A FORMAT!!!!

what would you players of the community like to see and enter?
1 v 1
2 v 2
3 v 3
Allied factions / soviet factions
Another big team tournament
??? v ???

Please post your ideas / requests / Feedbacks

Cheers

yellow (theRaffy)

Post by yellow (theRaffy) »

FFA at the map vegetation or vegitarian :D

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Hijacking your idea.

3 ffa's
winner of each ffa goes into the final.

so 3 ffa raounds of whatever size, with one 1 v 1 v 1 final.

on some random map.
good idea or bad? =\

deniz1a

Post by deniz1a »

With this PR, you can use a new OpenRA.Utility command called --replay-report to extract report files from replays in the following format:
https://gist.github.com/deniz1a/a4e852d064fa30e49c74

Could be useful for tournaments.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

imo FFAs are too unpredictable; no matter how good a player you are, if you get teamed up on by two players you lose; end of. Too luck orientated for me :)

I would personally be in favour of a 1v1 tournament.

newwe

Post by newwe »

FFAs are pretty luck heavy as Murto said.

1v1s are pretty much the exact opposite of luck heavy, but it would basically be pointless for all but 5 or so people to enter b/c they would have no chance.

So I guess I would favour some sort of team event. I wouldn't mind another big team tournament with a draft to pick teams, and then seeded matches of various sizes (eg. 1v1 6th pick vs 6th pick, 3v3 1st, 2nd and 5th pick vs 3v3 1st, 2nd and 5th pick, 2v2 8 pick points vs 8 pick points where 1st round pick = 1 point, 2nd round pick = 2 points etc.) Might be a pain to organize matches though so some flexibility would be fine.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

A possible idea: start a 1v1 ladder tournament for 1 month.

Rules: players must agree on it being a tournament game, they also state this in the first minute of the game - because the replay is proof. So both players type "tournament " or something .

They play , disconnect or loss of game = win for other. Winner sends the result + replay to Ripsen. Ripsen keeps a secret score.

After 1 month the ladder is shown. The top 16 players will then play a 2vs2 tournament where nr1 teams up with nr9, nr2 with nr10, nr3, with nr11 [...] nr8 with nr16.
Teams are seeded by weakest vs strongest (or random?) in a single elimination tournament. But it could be best of 3?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I like the idea of another big team tournament.
noobmapmaker wrote: A possible idea: start a 1v1 ladder tournament for 1 month.

Rules: players must agree on it being a tournament game, they also state this in the first minute of the game - because the replay is proof. So both players type "tournament " or something .

They play , disconnect or loss of game = win for other. Winner sends the result + replay to Ripsen. Ripsen keeps a secret score.

After 1 month the ladder is shown. The top 16 players will then play a 2vs2 tournament where nr1 teams up with nr9, nr2 with nr10, nr3, with nr11 [...] nr8 with nr16.
Teams are seeded by weakest vs strongest (or random?) in a single elimination tournament. But it could be best of 3?
I like it. My own choice would be best of 3.

Kriess2

Post by Kriess2 »

1v1

Then I'll show you who the boss is 8)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

In the format I suggested players play 1v1 to 'earn' a good partner for the 2v2 stage of the tournament. Some extra thoughts on the format:

- in the 1v1 stage players should have a maximum on playing vs eachother per day. If Ripsen senses fraudulent cumulating of points then a player could be expelled. (e.g. Winning alot against unknown players)
- all replays zipped together can be posteI d at the end of the month so we can review them. (watching every replay is alot of work for Ripsen)
- the 2v2 single elimination is best of 3 (race to 2)
- If a top 16 player doesn't respond for the 2v2 stage, then the nr17 will fill the gap. If nr17 doesn't respond then nr18 etc.
- The winning team can play a superfinal (1v1) with a best of 5?

Pro's and cons:
+ unlimited people can play in stage 1 on any map they like
+ good players will have better chances because of their skill, but are not guaranteed to win
+ the ladderresult is an objective way to replenish the field when people suddenly no longer respond during stage 2

- You can lose because of a bad teammate
- You can't pick your favourite teammate (or is this a +?)
- The ladder format requires a system in itself that is fair

newwe

Post by newwe »

noobmapmaker wrote: In the format I suggested players play 1v1 to 'earn' a good partner for the 2v2 stage of the tournament. Some extra thoughts on the format:

- in the 1v1 stage players should have a maximum on playing vs eachother per day. If Ripsen senses fraudulent cumulating of points then a player could be expelled. (e.g. Winning alot against unknown players)
- all replays zipped together can be posteI d at the end of the month so we can review them. (watching every replay is alot of work for Ripsen)
- the 2v2 single elimination is best of 3 (race to 2)
- If a top 16 player doesn't respond for the 2v2 stage, then the nr17 will fill the gap. If nr17 doesn't respond then nr18 etc.
- The winning team can play a superfinal (1v1) with a best of 5?

Pro's and cons:
+ unlimited people can play in stage 1 on any map they like
+ good players will have better chances because of their skill, but are not guaranteed to win
+ the ladderresult is an objective way to replenish the field when people suddenly no longer respond during stage 2

- You can lose because of a bad teammate
- You can't pick your favourite teammate (or is this a +?)
- The ladder format requires a system in itself that is fair
Interesting but I'm not a fan. Firstly, the 5-8+13-16 would have no chance if the seedings are "fair". So there's obviously there's a big incentive to not be the 5-8 seeds, thus you should intentionally lose matches if you are in that range (or intentionally play some tough players). Finally, there is no real point to the superfinal - the higher seed will win every time.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

While your idea sounds good on paper , I feel like this system
would be both too complex for Ripley to maintain and too easy to cheat (e.g. farming easier opponents).
Also, it would not necessarily reward the best players but rather those who play frequently to grind ladder points.

With that said , here's my proposal: a
Double Team Elimination Tournament .

The rules are: Each team consists of 2 players and one substitute player.
Teams have to register in a new forum thread called "Tournament Team Registration " ;
the deadline is up to Ripley.
The teams are then matched against each other in a tournament grid.

In the outer brackets, a team versus team round consists of two 1v1 matches
(where no player may participate twice) and a 2v2.
The team with 2 or 3 wins advances to the next bracket.
In the (semi-)finals bracket, we can up the ante and make the 1v1 games a best of 3.

If a player can't show up to a particular match, he has to inform Ripley and call in the substitute player.
If neither player can show up, it counts as a forfeit.
Maps are picked from a tournament map pool ; the players can place their vote on a map.
If a vote ends in a draw, Ripley's vote is taken into account.

I am aware that this mode will be punishing for inexperienced players, but I think it would be very competitive and exciting to watch. What do you guys think?

Also Ripley, are you planning on doing a tournament live stream, or would you rather see replay casts?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

My format may be to intensive/complex indeed.

What I like about fiveaces' idea is to make the teams also fight 1v1s AND teambattles. Teams can pick their nr1, nr2, nr 3 at the start of the tournament and they play vs the other's nr1, nr2, nr3.

For the inexperienced teams there can be a 2nd tournamentbracket: The B-Bracket (single elimination). If your team gets knocked out (twice) in the first couples rounds then the team continues in the B-bracket. Teams that lose their second match in, say, the quarter/semi finals can no longer join the B-Bracket.

Heres an image of what I mean. Although there will probably not be 20 teams... Upside: inexperienced players will play some more exciting games in the B-Bracket and maybe get to a final, albeit the loserfinal.

* image nas a mistake: the lower half is ofcrouse the A-bracket loser side

*edit 2: with 3 players per team there will probably not be 20 teams. Less teams would shorten the A-bracket, Less teams could result in few/demotivated players in the B-bracket. Players could there continu iwith 1v1s instead of teams in that bracket.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Kriess2 wrote: 1v1

Then I'll show you who the boss is 8)
Hey I remember you. Want to do some more games sometimes?

As for the tournament im a major 1v1 fanatic. But I support team games. It uses different strategies then compared to just 1v1s and even sometimes can be harder if your with an ally you don't know.

Right now im just observing with how everyone would like to have it setup and it looks pretty good!

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

My aim is to organize an event that fills in no more than a weekend. Or two at the most.
The reality is... Life gets in the way of players participating.
And league / points tournaments are a bit beyond my ability or something i can commit to.
SO
My idea for the next tournament is as follows.. (Having taken into account the general requests are for both ffa and teams of 2).
Teams of two (duo team)
Ffa.
I will have a custom map organized...or select one of the standard maps.
Three matches
Teams can enter all of the three matches...or just one. (Whatever your schedule or timezone allows).
Winner of each round goes through to the final.
The final will be a 2v2v2.
Resulting in a bronze silver and gold placing (depending on which team dies first, second and last.)