Ideas for Next Tournament

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Ripsn

Ideas for Next Tournament

Post by Ripsn »

please post feedback
All welcome
cheers

Scott_NZ

Post by Scott_NZ »

The current single elimination tournament type is broken because we run out of players very fast and we have such small numbers to begin with. I suggest changing it to double elimination or round robin or something and have it run over a few days or weeks.

gefroy

Post by gefroy »

[/code]I really suggest 2v2 tournament because team vs team is much more fun than a playing single against one. If there are more than 5 teams I see that we need 2 different brackets. A and B brackets. Everyone plays against other on same bracket 2 times. On second game against other teams will change spawn locations to different side of map where opponent were in last match. After bracket phase is a single elimination cup against other bracket teams.

1p for tie. What is tie? I think match what takes more time than one hour could be considered a tie except if one player is beaten. After 60 minutes 2v2 or 1v1 are a tie but 2vs1 is victory for team who got both player alive. You have 60 minutes time to take one player out.

Example with 6 teams

Standings:
Bracket A
A1 XXX 8p 4-0-0
A2 YYY 4p 2-0-2
A3 ZZZ 0p 0-0-4

Bracket B
B1 AAA 5p 2-1-1
B2 BBB 4p 1-2-1
B3 CCC 3p 1-1-2

A1, A2, B1 and B2 proceed to semifinals. A3 and B3 eliminated from cup.

Semifinals are:
A1 vs B2
A2 vs B1

Normal procedure after that.

There used to be 12 teams on last 2v2 cup so there would be a C and D brackets.

After A1 vs B2 and A2 vs B1 games both winning teams will fight against C1 vs D2 and C2 vs D1 winners.

AB1 vs CD2 and AB2 and CD1 fight for getting to grand final.

I think the cup would take a whole week. Aren't those tournament servers up 24/7? You can agree any time what you wan't to fight against another team so long it is okay for both teams. Pick a server and play. Take a look and figure what is empty. You can also play the second match against same opponent straight away, up to you how you do it! But weekend is reserved for cup phase (NA Saturday evening, Europe Saturday/Sunday night, Oceania Sunday morning, same what we got in these other cups)

Anyway. After a match a captain of winning team will upload replay to http://content.open-ra.org/ and send link for replay (and screenshot from result) to cup supervisor via IRC-query who will set the standings to somewhere visible.

For example: Match schedule is made on Sunday evening. Straight after that you can find your opponent and play. You got time to play and post result until Saturday 12UTC when cup supervisor began to figure cup phase scheduled.

I am volunteer do all that because I got time for that! I am also always on irc and I have already got some plans how to do standings on result page.

ihptru

Post by ihptru »

http://wiki.ihptru.net/

it's wiki for openra and openra tournaments. you don't need forums anymore to sign up

Clementine_broom

Post by Clementine_broom »

Since we only have a small window of time where most people are awake, we should consider spreading the tournament out over a few days, and try to make it shorter. In particular there should be a set time after which any failed (eg. crashed) game becomes either a tie (say, in a group stage), or a win decided by judges (if a win/lose result is required by that stage). I suggest somewhere between 25 and 40 minutes.

We should also consider having an extra-stable fallback version in case of crashes. I suggest that, if a game crashes and we require a rematch, we play in the more stable version. Until we see 1104 and future versions becoming more stable, we could always fork 0630 and fix the (very few, but known) bugs to create such a stable version.

(Actually it seems like we could benefit from having separate forks for bug fixing and new features anyway; that way we'll always have a stable version which is still fairly up-to-date feature-wise.)

Finally, we never seem to know what our numbers will be until the tournament starts, so perhaps we should determine several formats to accommodate different numbers of teams; then let the turnout decide which format we use. For example in the 3v3 tournament, with 8 teams a simple elimination format will suffice; but with only 6 teams, we could have two groups of three, each eliminating one team.

ddd

Post by ddd »

1. We need stable robust heavily tested release till the next tournament.
2. The next one shouldn't be in 3 months. The big events shouldn't be too often. Lets say March or April for the next one.
3. It looks like 2 vs 2 is optimal format.
4. "Each Match is a Knockout / Elimination Round" are good terms.
5. We need a video broadcasting of the tournament and discussion in mumble from the beginning. Recorded video with discussion should be uploaded to youtube etc. after tournament for everyone's pleasure.
6. Tournament should be continued next day/week at the same time in case it will take too long.

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

The stability of the Release is obvious, so we dont need any more Suggestions Towards that

I feel the tournaments are not run often enough. but thats only due to the time i have, the developers have, and the community has.

i will continue to run the tournaments at Roughly the same tme frame, if you feel it is too soon for a tournament.. dont enter

Yes 2 v 2 is "optimum format" but thats only because it is easier to manage and smaller teams equals More teams

But GOD would that be boring if we only had 2 v 2?
I will try to continue running as many varied tournaments as possible
id like to run a few Sub-Events. such as minigame's and bomber john.

Streaming / Video uploading / Commentating are all ALWAYS open for any volunteer;s that wish to take on the task.
If anyone would like to know how to set up and run this side of the event, i am happy to show you how.

ddd

Post by ddd »

Where are uploaded replays with comments from the tournament then? Where can I download replays files from content.open-ra.org? I think you should reconsider your view on the "feel the tournaments are not run often enough".

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Why do you care so much about how often the tournament is run
if you dont want in, dont sign up

Announcment!!!!!
I will be running a Weekly tournament
just to annoy joseph_wankidywank

OverKill

Post by OverKill »

I think communication and registration is key. 80% of the people I talked to either didn't know about the tourney or couldn't sign up do to registration of sleipnir's. We should have a news ticker in the openra lobby.

Matt

Post by Matt »

OverKill wrote: I think communication and registration is key. 80% of the people I talked to either didn't know about the tourney or couldn't sign up do to registration of sleipnir's. We should have a news ticker in the openra lobby.
You might want to use http://binarybeast.com/ or a similar site.

ihptru

Post by ihptru »

Cmd. Matt wrote:
OverKill wrote: I think communication and registration is key. 80% of the people I talked to either didn't know about the tourney or couldn't sign up do to registration of sleipnir's. We should have a news ticker in the openra lobby.
You might want to use http://binarybeast.com/ or a similar site.
why did I make a wiki for next tournaments then?
I made it for OpenRA use and where future signs ups will be hosted

zypres1

AI

Post by zypres1 »

AI tournament... Make your own AI bot, and compete....
We all can watch, no lag means anything, and we all can comment everything...

With just carma/mad respect, or prizes to winners...

Clementine_broom

Post by Clementine_broom »

I agree with Zypres - an AI tournament would be awesome. We should announce it and give people time to prepare though. This could happen between regular tournaments too, as it's quite different and likely to draw in a slightly different crowd.

EDIT: it would also be great to have a 2v2 tournament with 1 human and 1 AI per team!

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

ihptru wrote:

why did I make a wiki for next tournaments then?
I made it for OpenRA use and where future signs ups will be hosted
BLAH!

We will be using ihptru's wiki page for all future tournaments
both because it looks like a good (although complicated) system to use, where everyone can see all the information they want as quickly as posible.
And because it seems to have offended him that it WAS NOT used

Thankyou ihptru