A Red Alert version is in progress.
Happy to share an updated release of the Renegade 2D maps for the Tiberian Dawn mod.
Alpha map (version 1.1.0): https://resource.openra.net/maps/35432/
Bravo map (version 1.1.0): https://resource.openra.net/maps/35433/
Charlie map (version 1.1.0): https://resource.openra.net/maps/35434/
Please report any issues here or on discord/IRC.
What is Renegade 2D?
Gameplay is based on the first person shooter C&C Renegade by Westwood, and is similar to its predecessor C&C Sole Survivor.
Players control a single unit, in up to a 12 vs 12 battle (GDI vs Nod) with other players.
Each player shares a pre-built base with other players on their team.
Each building in the base provides various bonuses.
Vehicles can be purchased by players and require a pilot to be driven.
You earn cash independently of the other players on your team, but there are ways to help team mates out if you've got extra cash.
...And many other systems to match C&C Renegade (like Engineer repair guns or Nuke/Ion beacon strikes).
Squash any bugs or balance issues that come up. Also would love feedback or contributions!
GitHub repository: https://github.com/cjshmyr/renegade-2d
Old forum post for previous versions: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=20915
My 2 cents :
-It needs a "difficulty" adaptation for different player settings. It is virtually impossible to win the game in 4v4 due to unit and buildings stats. We played a game yesterday which was discovering everything until realizing, no combo/action with only 4 player has enough impact to acheive anything.
-One adaptation of this on red alert mod could go viral. I know i would play some 10v10 20v20 on this for sure.
Coming next, I have some rollbacks to balance from this version (oops), and other fixes.
After that, I'm shifting focus to the RA version of this game mode. The base rule yaml needs updating to work with the Lua script, then it should be open for collaboration! I'd love it if people wanted to contribute or even simply make maps.
Here's version 1.00 of the maps!
I'd like to address the common feedback brought up. Version 0.99 was envisioned as a 12v12 battle -- this was a mistake. Instead, the game-mode is being balanced around 4-on-4 scenarios. Buildings had too much health, certain units also felt too strong or too weak, and players may have had too much money.
As usual, feel free for feedback or contributions!
I'm shifting focus to a Red Alert version of the game mode.
Hope to have more to share in the coming weeks. The intent is to keep the game mode up to date for both official mods.
Version 1.1.0 is now available!
This version fixes a crash with beacons, and addresses economy issues with credit rewards. There's also light balance changes based on feedback. For the full list of changes: https://github.com/cjshmyr/renegade-2d/wiki/Versions
Any game breaking issues will receive a quick update.
A small test map for Red Alert has been created, with the renegade script loading successfully. Not much to show yet, but here's progress!
The Red Alert version of this game mode will come out sometime after the next OpenRA release. It relies on a few engine changes made since the current release. I'm hopeful to include naval units, aircraft, and many extras. Effectively this will be version 2.0 of the game mode.
If anyone has gameplay ideas in the Red Alert universe for units, structures, or objectives, feel free to share!
To drop a few ideas:
- More things to do on a map. This could be crates that spawn at a set time, or civilians to kill for $.
- Neutral buildings to provide bonuses if you stand nearby, such as vision or healing.
- Garrisoning defenses or structures on the map.
- More purchasable abilities (crate drops, support drops, spy plane, parabombs, iron curtain, chronoshift)
- A leveling/progression mode that persists after death.
- It was suggested a couple posts above to have creep waves like a MOBA.
- Veterancy could be added to your units and boosted so it wouldn't be very hard to get max rank. Maybe the bonuses will need to be adjusted to reduce snowballing tho. It would be awesome if every unit unlocked a new ability or weapon on elite rank
- You could add a paradrop ability, where if you buy it you can parachute anywhere (maybe AA would shoot you down if you choose enemy base) on the map with your current equipment. Maybe even parachute down your vehicle next to you
ps. I think this deserves a new forum topic