Map Design Contest 2018 - Rulebook

Jury and public vote commenced. Final results on September 10th.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
netnazgul

Re: Map Design Contest 2018 - Rulebook

Post by netnazgul »

@Kiraye you've disabled private message receipt in settings and thus I can't reply to you in PM =/
Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.
YAML changes do not disqualify the map from Competitive category right away, but Competitive maps are preferred to be all about design and balance itself, cause each yaml change disturbs the original ruleset. There was an example with RAGL, when Omnom's Borrowed Time map was considered into the pool with its capturable civ buildings providing vision, but all of that was removed on a joint official decision cause it stirred the gameplay too much. So I'd suggest to not include any non-cosmetic YAMLs into competitive maps.

As for the lint check I'd better ask around forums on that, cause any detected fails might be hidden errors in scripting.

Please make a followup PM.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

I'll clean this up tomorrow. But as per rules, maps are being released now with screenshots. Though need to do some tweaks still.

All Red Alert maps.

Fury Sands - 2 players
https://resource.openra.net/maps/28332/

A small/medium map with inspired derrick placement and deisgn based losely from Krylo's Behind the Veil map. I feel we've not seen a map similar to that in a while, and wanted to do a smallish map so came up with this design. Requires ore tweaks pre test as literally finished it up before i went out last night.

Unbound - 2 players
https://resource.openra.net/maps/28269/

Experimental middle design, originally taking inspiration from Elongation map, but ended up entirely different.

Forgotten Plains - 2 players
https://resource.openra.net/maps/28265/

This would probably be my key entry map. Wanted something unique but not moving away from traditional competitive maps too much. Also keeping to my goal of asymmetrical aesthetic designs that keep as close as possible to being symmetrical when played.

Incitement - 6 to 8 players
https://resource.openra.net/maps/28137/

A casual team based map. After Boiling Lakes becoming laggy due to size and design under current release, i still wanted to produce an equally fun and good looking map. This took 3 weeks to make which didn't help my above entries. But overall i'm happy with it and just needs a few further aesthetic tweaks. It's designed to have a similar playstyle to the popular Great Sahara 2 map (shorter games, base pushes, close proximity bases), but includes naval and more tactical play is potentially possible due to size and naval.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Due to some family responsibilities I will be abroad from August 31st till September 9th, so the final results will be announced only on September 10th (monday).

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Important announcement: There will be a slight shift in contest dates. Freeze period is extended up till August 30th included. August 31st - September 9th will be the voting period, and final results will be compiled on September 10th. This is due to me being unavailable around previous dates to make all the work required.

Upps

Post by Upps »

Texas my desert 1v1 map revesion 2 is online https://resource.openra.net/maps/28433/.
The new revesion has some changes.
Reduced card size no exaggeratedly big flanks anymore!
Added 2 more Oremines, now the map has 14 Oremines in total.
And some aesthetic changes were also made :)

Alley

Post by Alley »

netnazgul wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:33 am
Hey, sorry it didn't work out, I just don't want to go down the road of making rule exceptions ;) Partly it's my fault that I didn't advertise the contest well before running it.
No matter... I didn't think that I am going to make a map for the contest at the beginning anyways. Thank you for considering with me! :)

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Note to map authors: I might have been not clear enough in explaining the rules, but 1v1 maps can participate in "Casual" category, they are not forced to be in "Competitive". Some of you might consider changing the application as it might fit Casual better in terms of judgement. You have several days up until August 30th for this, as I'll need some time to update the jury scoresheets.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Note on the voting period: due to some technical issues announcing final jury verdict is postponed till Wednesday (September, 12). Thank you for understanding.

C0mrade

Post by C0mrade »

This is a very good idea to expand default map pack. Most of new OpenRA players don't bothering to visit Resource Center to download beautiful maps available there.