Map Design Contest 2018 - Rulebook

Jury and public vote commenced. Final results on September 10th.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
netnazgul

Re: Map Design Contest 2018

Post by netnazgul »

For testing we (me, hopefully the jury) will try to run test sessions so that other people (including mappers and the author himself) would be able to observe the games without being discovered as authors. Also no problems uploading replays from said sessions, and there would be streamed sessions as well.

Anonymity of course enforces some inconvenient rules on map author's work process, but is still a needed feature for impartial judgement. It still allowed producing quite interesting maps during previous contests.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Ok, after some consideration, I've decided to unleash the gates of mapping hell and drop the anonymity rule. Now the authors themselves are to upload their maps/revisions to Resource Center and then submit the maps to the contest (via same channels as mentioned).
Only the maps uploaded no earlier than July 7th 0:00 UTC+0 are eligible for the contest.
Also, the revision limit is also dropped. I will slightly update the freeze period rules to allow more time to test and judge the final map revisions.

I will update the OP later this evening.

And with this addition the contest is officially underway!

NerevarII

Post by NerevarII »

Contest categories

Competitive map: 1v1 and 2v2 maps may be submitted. Maps are more thoroughly judged and tested on balance and playability here; 1v1 maps are likely to be picked for the longlist of RAGL map pool next season.
Modded map: custom rules, single player maps, total conversions and everything else you can do with YAML/Lua.
Casual map: any map layout/idea not fitting into previous two - team maps, FFA maps, asymmetric maps, works of art.
Popular vote: people’s votes combined across categories will decide the winner here.

Map submission procedure
All maps participating in the main contest are to be uploaded to Resource Center, and then you send the link to me (netnazgul) via forum, discord or other means.
Information should include the following:

Human Ambition 2
NerevarII
Modded Map
https://resource.openra.net/maps/27719/
Map screenshot (obtaining....please stand by....)
Description of yaml/lua changes (included in map yaml files, and a mesage is displayed ingame after you pick the map.

I have to fix a few tiles, and try to make the symmetry purrfect without messing it up. Also, any other changes as necessary.

If my map wins, I want the money donated to a cause.

If you like the map but not the rules, here's a link to the map without any custom rules: https://resource.openra.net/maps/27717/

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

@NerevarII thank you for submission, but it can't be accepted as it is made before the tournament and thus is not eligible (check rule #6).

On further submissions, please use the forum PM so that this thread is not flooded with submissions.

NerevarII

Re: Map Design Contest 2018 - Rulebook

Post by NerevarII »

Aw man, that's my own fault, I uploaded to test it with people, and missread the rules. For some reason I thought maps had to be submitted BEFORE July 7th, and from July 7th onward, would be the testing phase for all the maps/voting phase. Well, it won't take long to make another map.

Thanks!

psaez

Post by psaez »

Hi, can a new revision of a map made by myself opt in for this contest?

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

psaez wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pm
Hi, can a new revision of a map made by myself opt in for this contest?
As the rules state, only new maps are the subject of Map Contest. So, if you just do a revision of an existing map that was created before the contest, it can't be submitted.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Thanks for the answer. :) My map is really new but because of I saw this contest after I called this map as ready I uploaded it to a Resource Center. Mapping for Openra is still very difficult for me and that's how very time consuming also so let it be then for now. Maybe next time then when I am going to finish something I also can fit it to a contest if it happens. :)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Alley wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Thanks for the answer. :) My map is really new but because of I saw this contest after I called this map as ready I uploaded it to a Resource Center. Mapping for Openra is still very difficult for me and that's how very time consuming also so let it be then for now. Maybe next time then when I am going to finish something I also can fit it to a contest if it happens. :)
Map building can take as long as you want it to. I often spend a few hours on a map then delete it :lol: No harm in entering with a new map, you still have some time.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Well, if the map was uploaded to RC after the start date (July 7th), then it is allowed.

Alley

Post by Alley »

eskimo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 pm
Map building can take as long as you want it to. I often spend a few hours on a map then delete it :lol: No harm in entering with a new map, you still have some time.
Maybe I wasn't clear so I mention that my map includes LUA and some special custom rules that were very difficult for me to do. I created this map on holidays and it took more than a week to build only because I failed a lot of time building this that I want. And now I work again. It would take at least months if not years to make missions for OpenRA next to a job because day often ends before I can figure things out and next day it takes much more time to come back to it where I was. Also, no results will not make me happy if I am back on a painful job again. So I think I have no time as much as you think. :o0:
The contest will not happen that long too.
netnazgul wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 pm
Well, if the map was uploaded to RC after the start date (July 7th), then it is allowed.
A map was published to a Resource Center at Jul. 02 - 2018. For now map can be found here. Please let me know if this kind of map can participate! Then I can give some additional information and do some other things to do it following the rules if necessary. :)

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Note: you can upload the map and its revisions anonymously by creating a separate account on Resource Center (or I can create a separate account for The Map Contest) and then telling me in submission that this is an anonymous entry. This will be the same as it was done in previous contests. The author identity will still be revealed after the contest.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Thank you for considering with me but I think let it be this time. My vacation is over and now I have even no time to check nor answer any messages anymore properly. 10th August is a deadline already and you are not that active too. I don't win anyways. :)

Hopefully, I am able to participate better next time with my the newest map.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Hey, sorry it didn't work out, I just don't want to go down the road of making rule exceptions ;) Partly it's my fault that I didn't advertise the contest well before running it.

pointbreak

Post by pointbreak »

I took Ore Gardens because it's the best map in the game, and made the following improvements:

- Chrono MCV is gone
- Light, Medium, Heavy Tanks now use machine guns against infantry
- Regular infantry is 20% cheaper
- Allied AA is a bit weaker.
- Arty and V2 damage down to 75%
- Tanya needs to reload sometimes (doesn't work)
- Gave villages some ore to help against poverty
- Changed submarine default stance to "Return Fire"
- Made ore mine placement fairer

:o0: :o0: :o0:

Though after playing around I think allied AA may be fine as it is.