Installing ora mods using linux for former windows user

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Norman_

Installing ora mods using linux for former windows user

Post by Norman_ »

Hey, I am new to linux & it was a small adventure for me, finding out how to install a mod - it seems it is necessary to use the terminal for it.

This is how I installed a mod:
I. Downloaded the mod, extracted the folder & set the access rights for the mod folder itself & every single folder inside to everybody, using right mouseclick & properties (this was not possible for me if the mod was already in the ora mod folder)
II. Right clicked on the folder the modfolder is saved in, opened it with terminal & typed in: sudo cp -R modfoldername /usr/lib/openra/mods/modfoldername

If you know some handy terminal commands regarding this topic (how to use chown in order to set access rights to everybody for a folder including all folders & files inside?) or you know a different way to install a mod ("sudo without terminal"?), please post it here :)

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Ehhhhhhhhhhh, that's definitely wrong. go to home/username/.openra/mods and drop the mod there. You don't need sudo then. .openra is hidden however, but you'll need that folder anyway for the replays/screenshots and whatnot.

In any case, I tend to keep my OpenRA folders under home in all cases though, again due to opt being root-protected.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

/usr/lib/openra/mods/ works.
home/username/.openra/ dont has a mod folder by default, thats why i thought its the wrong dir but will try it for the next mod, thanks.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Norman_ wrote: /usr/lib/openra/mods/ works.
home/username/.openra/ dont has a mod folder by default, thats why i thought its the wrong dir but will try it for the next mod, thanks.
Yes, usr/lib/openra is basically your game install dir (programs/... relative)
whilst the /home/NAME/.openra is basically you documents folder. Putting it there like you did with windows should do the trick.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

JOo

Post by JOo »

AMHOL

Post by AMHOL »

Graion Dilach wrote: Ehhhhhhhhhhh, that's definitely wrong. go to home/username/.openra/mods and drop the mod there. You don't need sudo then. .openra is hidden however, but you'll need that folder anyway for the replays/screenshots and whatnot.

In any case, I tend to keep my OpenRA folders under home in all cases though, again due to opt being root-protected.
How to do this with TempleOS?