JAW0M's Map Symmetry

Average all Symmetries.then Convert .png to .oramap via YAML

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
JAW0M

JAW0M's Map Symmetry

Post by JAW0M »

I've only tested this in the CnC Mod, but I don't see why it shouldn't work everywhere.

Maps being made by hand without sophisticated tools risk being imperfect. Most people wouldn't notice and wouldn't be bothered by it. I am, because in some circumstances the issues are very big, even for very frequently played maps. And, if it was possible to make near-perfect symmetry-maps, why wouldn't you want to?

This is a gallery of my symmetry-analysis of some well-known CnC maps. It did surprise me how some well-known maps aren't completely symmetric (e.g. Haos Ridges) Download the files, open in Paint, and zoom in so you can see the pixels:
http://imgur.com/a/oeDGK

The first time I did this was for my re-touch of Psydev's Manufacturing Consent, which you can find here:
http://resource.openra.net/maps/5942/

Top: Manufacturing Consent. Cliffs are cyan, tiberium is red
Middle: Same as before, plus super-imposed flipped-versions (light grey), and my hand-drawn average (black)
Final: Manufacturing Consent 2.0 (black hand-drawn average from Middle).

As always, I prefer balance and fairness over prettiness. I feel the selection of tiles is quite limited (the original assets ARE pretty dated), meaning there can be lots of pressure to break symmetry because you're missing the right shape of tile.

I've attached my instructions on analysing map symmetries, and how to copy over the coordinates of the different pixels into OpenRA: [see attached How_To_Map.txt file]

I could easily hard-code a bash script dependent on the specific colors people pick. I'm using Paint.net defaults, so I'll get around to that at some point.
Attachments
How_To_Map.txt
Instructions for using Paint.net to process map thumbnails, and using Bash scripts to import coordinates from the final image into OpenRA. Each color pixel defines a different category of actor, located according to the pixel coordinates. Then just paint
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Last edited by JAW0M on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAW0M

Post by JAW0M »

Here are the Paint.net .pdn files which were flattened to create that gallery.

Thankfully these images are so low-resolution, its quite easy to upload/download them!
Attachments
Common_Map_Symmetries.zip
The Paint.net .pdn files which were flattened to create that gallery.
(159.95 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

ddd

Post by ddd »

I haven't understand how did you decide that Haos Ridges isn't completely symmetric. You drew line of symmetry in a wrong way there. It should be diagonal.

JAW0M

Post by JAW0M »

@ddd

Bright red is the normal Haos

Grey is Haos, rotated 180 degrees

Dark red is where the normal, and the rotated, actually match up

Now, I've just rotated 180 degrees, maybe I should only rotate like 175, since it seems the big ore fields both have the same offset

But look at the low-ground near B, that totally doesn't match up

Also, the spawns don't quite overlap

It may be balanced, but it sure isn't perfectly symmetric

ddd

Post by ddd »

Which axis do you rotate upon? I see the following axes there:
Yes, accuracy isn't ideal, but it looks good with some error.

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

Symmetrical maps are the dullest maps in existence.
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun