Game no longer starts after adding maps

+ bonus questions :)

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
noobmapmaker

Game no longer starts after adding maps

Post by noobmapmaker »

Hi all,

Have been enjoying openRA alot the past days, a big THANK YOU to those who've been building it. Today I wanted to play some new maps and found this: https://www.specialattack.net/content/openra-mappack

I have downloaded their .rar, unpacked it and added all maps in the map-folder of Ra2. Unfortunatly when I start the game now I get a blank screen and after a while the program ends.

The path where I copy the maps to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA\mods\ra\maps

I use a Dell Inspiron laptop with windows 7 - 64bit
Celeron(r) Dual core CPU - T3000 @ 1800GHz 1.79GHz

Does anyone know what goes wrong? Are there any other mappacks with solid/nice.crazy usermaps available?

-------------------------

Some other Qs:

In the Editor I cannot name my maps? When saving the map I cannot type in any of the boxes so all my maps are named "Name your map here". Also I cannot alter the path where I save the map? Am I doing something wrong?

Is there an easy way where I can alter the AI a little bit and playtest with the modified AI? I would like to change some of the priorities, like bringing down navalactivity to allmost 0.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

That website is giving some bad instructions: we don't support installation of custom maps into the game directory, as that can cause problems like your crash. You should install them to the custom maps folder, which is Documents\OpenRA\maps\<mod> for Windows.

Edit: that map package is extremely out of date, and won't be supported by recent versions of OpenRA.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I see.

Hmm I have to test it, but when I save the maps in the editor to the map in documents they dont seem to appear in the OpenRA skirmish lobby? Im going to test it in a couple hours, but I thought I tried without succes.

It would be great though if we could download a mappack with, say, the top 20 maps. This instead of downloading them 1 by 1.

When I go to the downloadcenter of maps and I select the 'highest rated' or 'most viewed' I only see the very top map. Would be nice to see a list of the most viewed or highest rated.

Thanks anyway!

(Oh and by the way: the AI question is no longer nescessary as I discoverd the AIs built by the other user)