New mission for RA mod

I ported one of the missions from my mod crossfire to RA

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
umairazfar

Post by umairazfar »

Fixed more cosmetic bugs

http://resource.openra.net/maps/1828

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

ok.. I really like your map. Played it many times..

1: How can I be sure I got the right version? Could it be printed in the text?
2: The helicopters are random, are you unlucky they shoot down your choppers. Only way is to try again
3: I can control one of my choppers. That is intended?
4: When I dont go down on middle first, the reinforcements gets shot down..
5: I get this crash:

Fatal Lua Error: [string "BindingSupport.lua"]:30: Uncaught CLR exception at Lua->CLR boundary: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Målet forårsaket et unntak under aktivering. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Målet forårsaket et unntak under aktivering. ---> Eluant.LuaException: [string "BindingSupport.lua"]:30: Actor 'powr (dead)' does not define a property 'Location'

6: I still like you map, I hope its not your final-final :-)

umairazfar

Post by umairazfar »

1: How can I be sure I got the right version? Could it be printed in the text?
2: The helicopters are random, are you unlucky they shoot down your choppers. Only way is to try again
3: I can control one of my choppers. That is intended?
4: When I dont go down on middle first, the reinforcements gets shot down..
5: I get this crash:
1. OK, I will add that in, I think it can be printed in the text
2. I tried to make it so that the helicopters do not get shot down, I guess I need to make more fixes so that the player plays the way he wants and the helicopters do not get shot down
3. Yes, that is intended, I did not want 3 helicopters to be controlled, makes the things a bit easy
4. Go in the middle? I did not get you, do you mean if you destroy the AA guns in the middle first? The order that I intended was to get the AA guns to the west, then the middle and then the east, you take the chopper you get and take out the helipads, which stops the influx of the enemy helicopters. You take the helicopter again and destroy the dome, which calls in the migs and they do their bombing run. You then finish off the remaining structures to win the map.
5. Apparently that happens when you destroy the radar dome? I thought I fixed that, will look into it again, thanks

Apparently, it is not final Final just yet as there are still bugs, even though I have gone through it many times. PhD defense in 14 days so will work on this sparingly.

umairazfar

Post by umairazfar »

OK, I did a quick revision and played through the entire map. It did not crash and everything worked as intended. You can try it from this link:

http://resource.openra.net/maps/1834

If you again run into issues, do let me know and I will fix it

Changes include:
  • increased the health of transport helicopters so that they may survive even if they come under attack (They may still die as I do not know what order the player takes in clearing the AA guns)
  • changed the route of helicopters so that they might not be attacked
  • increased the health of transport badgers so that they may be able to drop their load
  • rocket soldier sight radius increased, so that you can see what they are attacking
  • Added a radar dome for USSR so that you can see the minimap
  • Sniper speed increased to 76 so that he can move faster
  • Migs fly slower but hit harder and they get called in every 3 seconds after the dome has been destroyed. This makes the map feel a bit more organic
  • When the helipads are taken out, the helicopters will send in one extra reinforcement and then stop
  • Added the message that tells about mission name, map version and creator

umairazfar

Post by umairazfar »

some feedback on the latest version will be appreciated if you get time. Another map is in the making and it is going to be a tough one

CannerZ45

Post by CannerZ45 »

Had my fun there. It feels more of a puzzle, looking to find a way around each base, to find where your sniper and rocket soldiers be most effective(reminded me of that one vanilla-RA mission where, you only have Tanya and an arty in the beginning). A pretty good showcase for the sniper unit too. Too much so in fact, never needed the riflemen if you're careful.

Really love the destruction of the radar dome objective, the way the sudden hail of airstrikes arrive really brought a smile for me. :)

umairazfar

Post by umairazfar »

Great to see that you had fun. The riflemen you get are basically cannon fodder for attacking that one pillbox so that your rocket soldiers remain safe.

The map went through a lot of iterations to come out a bit challenging and a little interesting so that you never feel too comfortable about playing it.

I also made another map and posted it just now. I hope that you enjoy that too.

CannerZ45

Post by CannerZ45 »

umairazfar wrote: Great to see that you had fun. The riflemen you get are basically cannon fodder for attacking that one pillbox so that your rocket soldiers remain safe...
Ah, well, what I did was to simply hand any enemy infantry to the sniper, and the vehicles and aircrafts to the rocket soldiers. With the area cleared of AA, the given transport helicopter could easily make the 'jump' across any pillboxes. By taking out as many ground and air forces as possible, in destroying the radar, it seems the reinforcement planes could take care of the pillboxes with no trouble.

Now, as for the 'Normandy' mission. 'Tough' is such a right term. Heh, on my third go and still overwhelmed. XD
Attachments
normanfailed.jpg
normanfailed.jpg (168.88 KiB) Viewed 5963 times