Creating a Custom Game using OpenRA

Small dev team have important questions regarding Open RA

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
ElephantSlime

Creating a Custom Game using OpenRA

Post by ElephantSlime »

Greetings!

I am from a small dev team named Elephant Slime Inc. and I was wondering if I could take some of your time to ask some direct questions about the engine and what we can do with it.

But first a little bit about us! We are a small dev team comprised of a few industry veterans and a few talented wannabes who are coming together to do a passionate side project! We are searching for an open source RTS engine that suits our needs and feel that OpenRA might be able to help us in this regard.

We feel this way about OpenRA because our project wants to hearken back to the slower paced days of Red Alert and Tiberian Sun while still adding gameplay elements from today's RTS games into it. We have artists and designers with experience but our lack of any experienced coder or scripter means that we also want an engine that would be relatively easier to learn how to manipulate and work with.

So that being said let me get to the questions.

1) Is it possible to add something akin to General Powers to the engine.
2) Is it possible to add units in the game that can cast abilities akin to champions in WarIII
3) Is it possible to Change the UI to fit the needs listed above?
4) Using OpenRA, are we allowed to sell our product as a packaged product?
5) Are you a coder or scriptor that can help us with this product? (If so please PM me!)

Thank you so much for your time reading this. I am a longtime Command and Conquer fan and have extensive knowledge in modding Tiberian Sun if that helps frame your answers/questions better towards me.

Phrohdoh

Post by Phrohdoh »

Hello, and welcome!

Thank you for taking interest in OpenRA in this manner.
A lot of people have poured many hours of their free time to create the engine and distributed mods.

For points 1-3: Absolutely. If you are willing to write the logic anything is possible.
4: Certainly, but you must distribute (and make publicly available) the entire source code for your project as the GPL license is copyleft.

While the engine is under the GPLv3 license the art assets are not.
They are copyrighted materials so you will of course need to create and distribute your own.

ElephantSlime

Post by ElephantSlime »

Thank you for the quick response!

Im excited that the engine is so robust, though I imagine so is anything that has the source code available!

Matt

Post by Matt »

1) Try the new https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/T ... actorpower I added for the Red Alert sonar. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/5698

4) Yes, but you need to publish your source code under the same license we use. http://www.openra.net/legal/ The license does not force you to cooperate with us in terms of sending patches back, but that would be highly encouraged.