"Hold the Line" Game mode/map.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
epice

"Hold the Line" Game mode/map.

Post by epice »

Well we already kinda have a map like this but like.

Just a big D-Day map where you defend a beach from a relentless assault for as long as you can, maybe with a few friends.

How do we make this happen?

Scott_NZ

Post by Scott_NZ »

This idea interests me. I might make such a map.

epice

Post by epice »

Just imagine cruisers and missile subs softening your defenses as planes and choppers fly in overhead. Paratroopers dropping it from every angle, landing craft dropping off tanks.

You get a short time before it all starts, maybe basic defenses set up already? Or we can wait tilll the player checks a "Ready" box.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Ever played the 'Normandy 6 Reloaded' map for RA95? It's ugly but for a while it was pretty popular on CNCNet.

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2094.0

While I wouldn't want anything quite as ridiculous for numbers as this in OpenRA, the concept is undeniably cool. Stuff like the level and number of enemy units is dependent on the players' construction options too, so delaying that War Factory while you build a few extra defensive structures can actually pay off in the long run. Rather than having an 'endless' battle, there should be an objective for players to destroy; in Normandy's case it's a pair of Spy Planes, which will cause the reinforcements to cease after they're shot down.

Start on the back foot, fight like crazy to try and stem the flow and set up barely-adequate defences, then slowly grind your way forward through relentless enemy assaults on your way to the objective. In something like this, true co-operation should really be encouraged, rather than simply 'fighting on the same side' (which would still work, but simply end up being a lot tougher if everyone's acting completely independent of each others' technology and strengths/weaknesses).

epice

Post by epice »

Maybe some objectives like "Defend this bridge" "Protect command center" and stuff and if you fail at too many of them you lose?

Can AI blow up bridges?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I assume it can if it's given a scripted order to attack it, yeah.

I like the idea of defending/capturing certain points on the map actually, not necessarily to win but to keep/unlock technology and/or disable certain enemy reinforcements (e.g. take Radar Dome to stop enemy airstrikes, etc.)

epice

Post by epice »

Ok so you gotta defend a harbor, bridge, and some other objectives for X amount of time. Every time a objective is destroyed the time is increased. You win when time runs out!

I imagine the harbor being a KOTH type area where if enough enemy units get into it its lost.

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

please, someone mod this, or bounty it...