[Mod][Dead]Krush Kill 'N Destroy 2

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Sounds good, but it'd be nice to know what the progress is, eheh..

The site is nothing more than a shiny teaser..

Matt

Post by Matt »

I am very much fine with keeping OpenRA to 2D Westwood games only. We are already under heavy duty keeping all 3 (in fact with the internal Tiberian Sun mod already 4) official mods maintained.

Come back once there is something to announce. We can advertise it on our social media channels to give you some attention.

vector

Post by vector »

Hey all, i'm new here but hopefully i post this in the correct place.
I wanted to let you guys know about a project of mine that i been working on for the last 5 months or so and stumbled across this when looking for a quick solution on a problem that i had.

My project is called KMC (krossfire multiplayer community client) and is a multiplayer based platform solution for old games.
It was intended for me and my friends only at first and only for KKND2 but then i though i could do more with the project and started to expand.
This project got extremely complex after a while when i had to use tunneling and ipx to udp emulation in order for everything to work correctly with KKND2 which is currently the only game that it will support but maybe in the future we can have more old school games on it.

So, in a nutshell it works like steam in a way, you login, create or search for a game and join it, and anti cheat is provided within the client itself.
n2n topology tunneling is provided so every game can be found easy without having to worry about firewall problems etc, and games are played in IPX menu of multiplayer.
It works in window or fullscreen 1920x1080 without any problem with 60 fps. i have not tested higher resolutions but i theory it should work no matter what res you would play in.

Note that this is still Work in Progress and i'm looking into shader / fx support with opengl hooking, but this is probably just a wishful thinking since it would require a lot of time to make this happen.
I am also working on a homepage so people can create there accounts and download the application.

I have been doing a few maps as well and more will come.
What worries me most is the expense of the project with homepage, 2 tunneling servers, 1 master server for clients and potential copyright issues.

If anyone know how cncnet solved the copyright issue or have anything to add on that let me know.
Hopefully we all get a good time and gaming experience out of this, and maybe meet a few new friends in the process.
Last edited by vector on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I was told that the main developer of CnCNet gave the popular domain http://redalert1.com/ to community members who worry less about trademark problems. It looks kinda official although it is not, but EA does not seem to care. Fan projects are often operating in a dark grey zone of intellectual property law.

vector

Post by vector »

Thanks for letting me know.
After looking on the statistics on cncnet and other similar projects this seems doable without having to worry.
I don't think anyone will come knocking on doors for a 16 year abandon-ware, and if they do we could always shut down or buy the rights.
I should probably do as cncnet and spread the tunnel service in the correct places of the world so that the game is running with low latency, even-tho i have tested playing with a 4 players online with 120 ms towards the tunnel and everything was running smooth which is nice.
I have been doing some gui changes yesterday so ill post them if anyone is interested.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I suggest you talk to the GOG guys as they still sell the original games http://www.gog.com/game/krush_kill_n_destroy_xtreme but without multiplayer. They may be interested to cooperate with you.