D2k balancing

Gather a balancing team

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
klaas

Post by klaas »

I agree with Crashalot here, Trikes are overpowered. The problem is that they can take out harvesters very easily early in the game. Obviously, turrets are not going to defend your harvesters, quats and rocket infantery need an Outpost, and rifleman get slaughtered. The only way to defend against Trikes is making Trikes.

JOo

Post by JOo »

recreate the "original rules" ... then we test it .... then we decide all together what has to be changed in order to keep the "original d2k"-gameplay but fixing multiplayer-balance issues ...

i dont touch this thing unless the rules are as close as possible to the original

we have pretty good rts-player with a good nose for balance-issues

Unit158 allready going the right direction

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

released the first version of my d2k revision. its a separate test build now. so you do not need to overwrite the old d2k mod files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l80vt74355lnz ... vision.zip

Changelog:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajqmiyx33lccf ... gelog.docx
Last edited by Sircrashalot on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Cool, I'll make some time soon to try it... =)

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

:)

I still need to figure out how to add new units and convert RA infantry to d2k. I also need to get those aircraft implemented.
Another problem is the ingame UI. I added the opencnc build system but the d2k tabs are not optimal for that.

PS: if someone is interested in helping me it would be awesome :)

gruntlord6

Post by gruntlord6 »

I don't think making raiders weaker is a good idea. The key to house Ordos is speed, and making a key unit weaker would reduce their effectiveness significantly. The unique unit (Deviator) for house Ordos isn't even used actively in gameplay except to counter Devastators, and that leaves the Raider and the Combat Tank as the Houses defining features (unless you count not being able to construct Missile Tanks, which is not in their favor either).

As a fan of Dune 2000, I'm open to changes to improve the game, but I think radical changes should be avoided if possible. If you want to encourage the use of infantry units, I think removing the ability to crush infantry with most heavy units would greatly increase the effectiveness of light infantry. Being able to queue infantry together is already a very large change that helps promote their use, as in the original game it was annoying and tedious to constantly construct them.

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

Have you played OpenD2k yet? In its current version? You would not talk like that about the Raider problem if you would have. If you are up for a game just msg me.

gruntlord6

Post by gruntlord6 »

Sircrashalot wrote: Have you played OpenD2k yet? In its current version? You would not talk like that about the Raider problem if you would have. If you are up for a game just msg me.
I have and there are so many things missing from the regular game that it's almost not worth mentioning. Those issues need to be resolved before anything of the sort should be discussed.

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

Well i am not going for a 1:1 copy of d2k. At first there is dune200 online and second you can create the 1:1 copy yourself if you want. I guess i am calling my project d2k revision anyway. If someone comes up with a better name tell me please!

gruntlord6

Post by gruntlord6 »

Sircrashalot wrote: Well i am not going for a 1:1 copy of d2k. At first there is dune200 online and second you can create the 1:1 copy yourself if you want. I guess i am calling my project d2k revision anyway. If someone comes up with a better name tell me please!
It shouldn't be a 1:1 copy but it should also be somewhat like the original.

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

gruntlord6 wrote:
Sircrashalot wrote: Well i am not going for a 1:1 copy of d2k. At first there is dune200 online and second you can create the 1:1 copy yourself if you want. I guess i am calling my project d2k revision anyway. If someone comes up with a better name tell me please!
It shouldn't be a 1:1 copy but it should also be somewhat like the original.
I am not going to do that, but feel free to continue d2k development. No offense but did you even try the first build of my version? And yes i know there is still alot missing.

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

First showcase of the Ordos Chem Trooper (still WIP) based on the D2k Rifleman
Attachments
Ordos Chem Trooper V1.gif
Ordos Chem Trooper V1.gif (30.99 KiB) Viewed 9672 times

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

"finished" version.
new testbuild uploaded Version 19032014-2
Attachments
chem trooper.gif
chem trooper.gif (31.21 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
d2krevision19030214.zip
(633.4 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

Sircrashalot

Post by Sircrashalot »

Hope i was able to fix the crash the carryall caused.
Attachments
d2krevision20032014-2.zip
(633.4 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

Unit158

Post by Unit158 »

Dune 2000 Revision Mod at Version test build 20032014-2
Operating System: Windows (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)
Runtime Version: .NET CLR 2.0.50727.5477
Exception of type `System.InvalidOperationException`: Unit `fire2` does not have all sequences defined.
at OpenRA.Graphics.SequenceProvider.GetSequence(String unitName, String sequenceName)
at OpenRA.Graphics.Animation.PlayRepeating(String sequenceName)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Effects.Bullet..ctor(BulletInfo info, ProjectileArgs args)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Effects.BulletInfo.Create(ProjectileArgs args)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Armament.<CheckFire>c__AnonStorey58.<>m__3()
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.AttackBase.ScheduleDelayedAction(Int32 t, Action a)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Armament.CheckFire(Actor self, AttackBase attack, IFacing facing, Target target)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.AttackBase.DoAttack(Actor self, Target target)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Activities.Attack.InnerTick(Actor self, AttackBase attack)
at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Activities.Attack.Tick(Actor self)
at OpenRA.Traits.Util.RunActivity(Actor self, Activity act)
at OpenRA.World.Tick()
at OpenRA.Game.TickInner(OrderManager orderManager)
at OpenRA.Game.Tick(OrderManager orderManager)
at OpenRA.Game.Run()
at OpenRA.Program.Run(String[] args)
at OpenRA.Program.Main(String[] args)

Occurred when testing the flamethrower.

Trikes are nearly useless now, three riflemen shouldn't be able to simply dispatch a trike. Heavy troopers beat everything and ornithopters are also really overpowered. Three shouldn't destroy a refinery in a matter of seconds

Art could use some work :P

When you get time, be sure to include original artwork for the units - they don't fit with the rest of the style in the latest version.