Red Alert: Tiberium Origins MOD

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Good to see you support mod creators even per new release. :D

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Hoj wrote: This is an amazing play test, thank you OP
folkilsk wrote: Ye, we've been playing this for a few months now ( a group of about 5 people). Would love to see more units and factions in the mod.
I'm glad you're having fun palying it. It's a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it. I don't know about new factions, only the original four were planed for this mod. As for new units, I'll have to see what I can come up with :)
Sleipnir wrote: We are preparing for a new playtest within the next few days. A lot has changed in the engine since the last release, and so any mods that target release-20131223 will need to be upgraded before they will work.

We will ship a utility command that does most of the grunt work, so you should have no trouble migrating RA:TO to this new playtest if you follow the instructions that will be in the changelog.
Anxiously waiting the new release.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I've had some fun trying out this mod, and all I'm kinda wondering..

Why aren't you on moddb? ;)

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Speedy wrote: I've had some fun trying out this mod, and all I'm kinda wondering..

Why aren't you on moddb? ;)
I do have a moddb page. Just look under openra mods.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Oh hello. This is it, then? http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conqu ... an-origins

Watching~

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

That's it.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Sorry for getting your hopes up, but we have since uncovered a critical bug in our Lua integration, and we need to do some major engine work in order to fix it. This has delayed the playtest by potentially quite some time.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Sleipnir wrote: Sorry for getting your hopes up, but we have since uncovered a critical bug in our Lua integration, and we need to do some major engine work in order to fix it. This has delayed the playtest by potentially quite some time.
:(( - too bad... was really looking forward to it... Oh well, keep up the good work!

I'll just release the first two NOD missions since most of the others rely heavily on triggers not yet implemented... I'll try to get the first GDI missions in too.

I really wish i had a Campaign menu and the ability to chain missions together - so it will feel more like a campaign...

Matt

Post by Matt »

kaneCVR wrote: I really wish i had a Campaign menu and the ability to chain missions together - so it will feel more like a campaign...
Scott claimed that https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/4035 Not sure if he is still working on it.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

It's sad to see that there is so little interest in Singleplayer - witch is unfortunate, because I have no interest whatsoever in Multiplayer. Despite that, I'm still working on multiplayer balancing so my mod will be well rounded. I've reached this conclusion since people have been working on a SP / campaign menu, but no one has actually finished anything.

I loved the SP campaigns for both games. I've played them over and over again as a kid, doing things a little bit differently each time (I had no friends :D ) - so SP has great sentimental value for me.

If I had the coding skills, I'd take the task on myself, but I'm a med-student, not a programmer.

Suggestion: How about adding .avi movie support to the engine? Trought divx, xvid or whatever codec you like? I'd be able to make briefing screens and stuff if I could make openRA read .avi files.

I also need help with converting my mod to the latest playtest. I don't know how to setup command line for the openRA.Utility. An example would help.

I Tried OpenRA.Utility.exe --upgrade-mod to - but I don't know what CURRENTENGINE is supposed to be. - figured it out after reading the full changelog.

Unfortunatly my mod crashes with this error:

Code: Select all

Red Alert: Tiberian Origins Mod at Version Beta 0.1
Operating System: Windows (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)
Runtime Version: .NET CLR 2.0.50727.5472
Exception of type `System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException`: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at OpenRA.Mods.RA.DefaultLoadScreen.TestAndContinue()
   at OpenRA.Mods.RA.DefaultLoadScreen.StartGame()
   at OpenRA.Game.InitializeWithMod(String mod, String replay)
   at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Widgets.Logic.ModBrowserLogic.<LoadMod>c__AnonStorey17E.<>m__40F&#40;&#41;
   at System.Action.Invoke&#40;&#41;
   at OpenRA.FileFormats.ActionQueue.PerformActions&#40;&#41;
   at OpenRA.Game.Tick&#40;OrderManager orderManager&#41;
   at OpenRA.Game.Run&#40;&#41;
   at OpenRA.Program.Run&#40;String&#91;&#93; args&#41;
   at OpenRA.Program.Main&#40;String&#91;&#93; args&#41;
Well shit... I guess I'll have to start over again....

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

..How much work would that entail? I'd think it would be a smarter idea to hang on and ask someone for help, instead..

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

kaneCVR wrote: It's sad to see that there is so little interest in Singleplayer - witch is unfortunate, because I have no interest whatsoever in Multiplayer. Despite that, I'm still working on multiplayer balancing so my mod will be well rounded. I've reached this conclusion since people have been working on a SP / campaign menu, but no one has actually finished anything.
It's not specifically because nobody is interested in SP, but rather that there is a lot of fiddly and unpleasant work required in order to make this stuff work well.
Progress is going forwards, but slowly: ScottNZ/new-menu is almost finished, and #5022 will add the prerequisites for cell triggers.

kaneCVR wrote: If I had the coding skills, I'd take the task on myself, but I'm a med-student, not a programmer.
I'm a physicist, and Mailaender (Cmd. Matt) is a food chemist. Many of our contributors are new to C#, and have started learning specifically to get involved. You don't need to be a professional programmer to make valuable contributions to OpenRA :)
kaneCVR wrote: Unfortunatly my mod crashes with this error:
There are several manual changes you'll need to make to mod.yaml. That one will be caused by the change from TestFile to TestFiles.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

kaneCVR wrote: --stuff about campaign/missions for SP--
With four factions to mess around with, you could always gear things toward a co-op campaign of sorts; GDI & Allies campaign, etc. Something like that would be very interesting, even if it's just a series of standalone missions for the time being.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Sleipnir wrote:
kaneCVR wrote: If I had the coding skills, I'd take the task on myself, but I'm a med-student, not a programmer.
I'm a physicist, and Mailaender (Cmd. Matt) is a food chemist. Many of our contributors are new to C#, and have started learning specifically to get involved. You don't need to be a professional programmer to make valuable contributions to OpenRA :)
Wait.. hang on. I only now realize what you're saying there, I guess..

But this is all made with C# specifically? Maybe I SHOULD go check the github properly.. I'm currently STUDYING C#...

Chances are I actually know more than I think I do..

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

I just saw this:
kaneCVR wrote:
I'd take the task on myself, but I'm a med-student, not a programmer.
"Damnit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a programmer!" :D

Sleipnir wrote:
kaneCVR wrote: It's sad to see that there is so little interest in Singleplayer - witch is unfortunate, because I have no interest whatsoever in Multiplayer. Despite that, I'm still working on multiplayer balancing so my mod will be well rounded. I've reached this conclusion since people have been working on a SP / campaign menu, but no one has actually finished anything.
It's not specifically because nobody is interested in SP, but rather that there is a lot of fiddly and unpleasant work required in order to make this stuff work well.
Progress is going forwards, but slowly: ScottNZ/new-menu is almost finished, and #5022 will add the prerequisites for cell triggers.
This is good to hear :)

Speedy wrote: ..How much work would that entail? I'd think it would be a smarter idea to hang on and ask someone for help, instead..
About a full weekend's woth of work I think... If I do nothing else but this...

BaronOfStuff wrote:
kaneCVR wrote: --stuff about campaign/missions for SP--
With four factions to mess around with, you could always gear things toward a co-op campaign of sorts; GDI & Allies campaign, etc. Something like that would be very interesting, even if it's just a series of standalone missions for the time being.

I love your ideea. I'l think of some co-op missions. The thing is, you only play the Allies in 2-3 missions - after that they become SpecOps9 (allied tech tree + goodies) and their campaign is continued by the GDI campaign.
Sleipnir wrote:
I've dabbled in C++ in highschool - but I don't remember much. C# is nicer. Thing is - I have no ideea how to compile / decompile stuff... it would be a lot to learn, and I'm short on time - but if I get a chance, I'll poke my nose into it.

I took a glance over at the celltriggers thread. It looks complicated. I'd do something very simple. Have a special actor called CellTrigger, that initiates an action then destroys itself when a unit moves into it. That way you don't have to check for collisions all the time.

Something like in Warcraft II. Have a look over at the Wargus / Stratagus dev page for inspiration :D