Why has nobody done this yet? Combine all factions...

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
epice

Why has nobody done this yet? Combine all factions...

Post by epice »

Put every faction into one mod so you can play GDI vs Allies or Nod vs Soviets or whatever the sides in Dune are.

Why has this not been done yet?

I'd do it but I wouldn't even know where to start.

bellator

Post by bellator »

because it would suck

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Without ridiculous amounts of tweaking, the non-balance between each faction would make it unplayable. It would also be pointlessly complex.

And all the D2K factions are practically identical anyway last time I checked (admittedly a while ago), so there would be little to no point in including them.

Matt

Post by Matt »

You could try to port the "CnC in RA" from http://ra.afraid.org/html/downloads/mods.html to OpenRA.

Another idea is to do it yourself without any conversions. Just merge the YAML files, but define different palettes. You might have to rename some files that collide.

I guess this would be a fun project, not a well balanced mod for competitive play.

knivesron

Post by knivesron »

my mate made a mod back inthe day that combined allies and soviet into one team. but we came into difficultys when trying to incorporate gdi and nod.
its a cool idea but more of a gimmick then anything.

what we really need is to beable to capture enemy mcv's to gain their technology like in the original red alert

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Yeah, combining them wouldn't be hard, but really, you'd just have to relink a lot of units to two teams at once. Mammoth would be GDI and Soviet, medium tank would be GDI and allies, etc.

Oh, and you'd have to convert a ton of Nod units from CnC-Style SHP files to RA-Style SHP files. Don't even THINK about D2k units.

It'd be pretty simple to do, but, it'd be kinda pointless. Nod wouldn't wanna kill commies.

Matt

Post by Matt »

tacozmeister wrote: Oh, and you'd have to convert a ton of Nod units from CnC-Style SHP files to RA-Style SHP files. Don't even THINK about D2k units.
It is possible with OpenRA.Utility --remap because I converted all Dune 2000 graphics to SHP to get the d2k going and the mod also relies on ra SHPs that have been transferred this way.

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

I think that would be fun. Also beeing 2 factions in ra would be fun.. Would give strange gameplays, and some fun....

epice

Post by epice »

What!?

I don't mean play more then 1 side at a time. I mean be able to play WITH all the sides at once. IE: One player is GDI, the other is Allies, the other is Nod, the other is Soviets.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

If I made this and left all stats for the C&C stuff at default values, you'd see just how unbalanced it would be. Combining the factions (most likely into the RA mod) would take a hell of a lot of tweaking, testing, and probably involve adding even more original stuff to get the best balance out of it.

By all means go ahead and try, just be aware that making it fun to play will be no easy task.

Matt

Post by Matt »

It might also be interesting for single-player as http://www.ultraq.net.nz/campaign/ seems to have done it.

kaneCVR

Post by kaneCVR »

Try my mod. It has GDI, NOD, the Allies and the Soviet. http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=16375

AgentAAA

Post by AgentAAA »

yeah, KaneCVR's mod is essentially the answer to your prayers here. He needs to advertise more :P