OpenRA IDE

Work in Progress

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
KillerLUA

OpenRA IDE

Post by KillerLUA »

Working on an IDE for everything moddy. I already started a SHP editor, but moving it into a IDE style format based on my previous work in Garry's Mod.

Previous work:

SHP Editor:

Conversion to an IDE:

WIP Docking System:

Hoping to add yml support and a basic wrapper for making units that have some special functionality, I just wish the developers would add a package format for mods.

Matt

Re: OpenRA IDE

Post by Matt »

KillerLUA wrote: Hoping to add yml support and a basic wrapper for making units that have some special functionality, I just wish the developers would add a package format for mods.
Awesome. What do you mean with package format for mods? There is a mod.yaml which defines everything.

KillerLUA

Re: OpenRA IDE

Post by KillerLUA »

Cmd. Matt wrote:
KillerLUA wrote: Hoping to add yml support and a basic wrapper for making units that have some special functionality, I just wish the developers would add a package format for mods.
Awesome. What do you mean with package format for mods? There is a mod.yaml which defines everything.
I mean the ability to package everything into a single mix file, such as the mod.yaml file, and any extra resources required by the mod. Not essential, just a request to add support for loading .mix packages.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

There won't be support for packaging a whole mod as a mix package ever. Mix is a totally retarded format which we support for legacy reasons only. It doesn't do filenames, doesn't do paths, and has braindead "header encryption" which just wastes everyone's time.

You can have zips though -- that's easy enough -- and you can *already* do it, except for the manifest, which must be outside.

I don't recommend it for mods-in-development though; turning a bunch of text files into one large binary blob makes it undiffable. Might be OK for distribution though.

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Windows only? :D

Matt

Post by Matt »

riderr3 wrote: Windows only? :D
In that case I would prefer to add the functionality to the cross-platform OpenRA.Editor.exe instead.

KillerLUA

Post by KillerLUA »

Cmd. Matt wrote:
riderr3 wrote: Windows only? :D
In that case I would prefer to add the functionality to the cross-platform OpenRA.Editor.exe instead.
I don't think I am well embedded enough to help with anything official, unless of course they want me to which I gladly would help. But also when it comes to git, I'm clueless; I have used svn though.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

This isn't an exclusive club.

If you submit patches that make something better, I'll gladly review (and once we get whatever inevitable issues there are ironed out, accept) them -- whether they affect the editor, game code, or even the core engine.

Nothing is off-limits -- all you need is a worthwhile patch.

KillerLUA

Post by KillerLUA »

chrisf wrote: This isn't an exclusive club.

If you submit patches that make something better, I'll gladly review (and once we get whatever inevitable issues there are ironed out, accept) them -- whether they affect the editor, game code, or even the core engine.

Nothing is off-limits -- all you need is a worthwhile patch.
Isn't the default editor for maps anyway?

Matt

Post by Matt »

KillerLUA wrote: But also when it comes to git, I'm clueless; I have used svn though.
If you already know how revision control works, it should be easy to learn. There is https://help.github.com/ free eBooks http://git-scm.com/book/en/ and even a Windows GUI http://windows.github.com/ especially for GitHub.