[MOD] RA Classic - a Red Alert 1 inspired mod
RA Classic is a multiplayer mod for OpenRA (using a modified version of the engine) that tries to resemble the gameplay and feel of Red Alert 1 (with all the expansions and 3.03 patch installed) closely. It has the following objectives:
- Have the same building and unit settings and behavior as Red Alert 1 e.g., cost, speed, strength, rof, etc..
- Port over all the RA1 maps.
- Have at least one decent AI to play against.
- Have the in-game HUD resemble the Red Alert 1 one as close as possible.
- Have the menus resemble Red Alert 1's look and feel, including ordering, as closely as possible.
- Have engine features that are the same as Red Alert 1's or similar to it, e.g. no fog of war, multiple factories speed up production, left click to select, etc..
What has been done
I currently have a modified OpenRA engine with the following chances:
- fog of war has been removed (but NOT the shroud)
- Classic C&C mouse control scheme, left click to select, right click to de-select.
In addition I've forked the code for the RA mod that comes with OpenRA to introduce the following changes/additions:
- Multiple factories speed up production
- Better AI
Most of the unit/building behavior and settings has been transferred from the Red Alert 1 'rules.ini' file, though I still need to spend a few hours transferring the remaining settings.
I've integrated a RA1 maps map made by someone into the game, but some still crash because of bugs and more RA1 maps need to be converted as the pack doesn't contain all RA1 maps.
I've worked on the AI for the last three days, based on code by others. At this point the AI is still very rudimentary but the core features have been implemented.
The AI was based on ValkirieAI/BetaAI by Valkirie and HackyAI which JamesDunne, Earthpig, Mart0258, Mailaender and Chrisforbes have worked on.
Additionally Chris Forbes (chrisf) fixed a lag spike issue with the building placement code if no build space could be found.
To-do for the first alpha
Before I release a first alpha, which I intend to be quick-and-dirty to allow interested individuals to play test the mod, the following things still need to be done:
- Convert the remaining Red Alert 1 unit/building behavior and settings.
- Improve the AI.
- Change the main menu screen and maybe the load screen.
Why this mod?
My main reasons for creating this mod are to have a open-sourceRA1 clone of sorts within (a modified) OpenRA engine, as to:
- To preserve Red Alert 1 in a sense.
- Improve on the Red Alert 1 engine as the source is available for this mod.
- To get fans of classic C&C games interested in the OpenRA engine project and community.
- To provide a base for mods that want to implement a mod based on classic C&C gameplay and behavior.