[MAP] [D2K] [MAP PACK WIP] Replica Builds

All Maps based on Westwood Studios Dune2000

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
DraLUSAD

[MAP] [D2K] [MAP PACK WIP] Replica Builds

Post by DraLUSAD »

Hello Again, and Here today Am starting on More Westwood Replicas Instead of the RA and C&C Mods, Its time to Focus on D2K Replicas, and to announce the Launch, here is my first map...

Please note, there will be Bugs and Problems, Please Comment on what map/problem and i will be able to fix it

On another note, once i've exceeded the 3 Content Limit, i will Packing them up into a RAR and distributing it as Normal

Please Also Note, The first Map has NO! Sand Dunes, they will be coming soon, once i figure out which way they are facing cause its quite Difficult as of yet

(To also official state, the Authers are named "Westwood Studios" so in a way i aint copy writing but crediting the map for this fine OpenRA Mod)
Attachments
Tuck's Sietch.oramap
Map V1.0
Any Problems please tell me
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
Mini Map
Mini Map
Tuck's Sietch.png (791.21 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Tucks-Sietch 2.oramap
A Reconstruct of "Tucks-Sietch" map, which opens the Center Sides up for access, and moved all Starting locations to roughtly Center of the Islands, making it a 2-4 player only map
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Last edited by DraLUSAD on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DraLUSAD

Post by DraLUSAD »

This is a Reserved Slot

Matt

Post by Matt »

In fact Westwood was only the publisher. It was developed by Intelligent Games http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000 I think this stated is wrong in Wikipedia, but I don't really have an official source to cite.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Looks excellent.

DraLUSAD

Post by DraLUSAD »

Cmd. Matt wrote: In fact Westwood was only the publisher. It was developed by Intelligent Games http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000 I think this stated is wrong in Wikipedia, but I don't really have an official source to cite.
So, who do i Put the Maps Auther under?

@Chrisf: Thanks :)

Matt

Post by Matt »

Westwood is okay as an Author. Be sure to upload the new version including dunes at http://content.open-ra.org/?p=detail&table=maps&id=664 We will then include it in the official release. Quality is very good.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I have no argument with anyone wishing to replicate the D2K maps. Great work, and please continue!

Matt

Post by Matt »

Yes, this seems to be the #1 wish from the Dune 2000 community. They have few, but very popular maps. Coding a legacy import is not the preferred method here as the original map format is horrible. They don't have combined tiles, but 1x1 squares that are defined in a grid. Someone tried to write a converter, but he had to recreate whole new incompatible tilesets that are unusable for humans. He also vanished, never published any code and the results required manually fixing errors afterwards. We also merged all redundant Dune tilesets into one Arrakis theme. This simplifies mapping and we can have more decorative details side by side. So I suggest you continue your project. You can even make them more beautiful than the original because you are not bound to tileset restrictions.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

Speaking of the Arrakis tileset; There's a bunch of wast** tiles that are duplicates of other usually 'rough' type tiles, only instead they behave as sand.

I've found several of these being used in the few D2K maps currently available leading to an inconsistency issue with identical terrain types behaving differently. Just a note so you don't go scratch your head as to why and how.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Uhh, damn removing duplicates might break maps. Still post a bug naming the problematic tiles (mouse over in the editor reveals it).

DraLUSAD

Post by DraLUSAD »

Hey, Its been awhile since i did any Map Replicas, as the Map Editor Templates, are quite, Annoying at times, since this map was only 90% Complete due to the fact, the Sand Dunes are Missing.

I've just recently added a 2nd Variant of the map, which makes it a 2-4 player only map, but makes the center sides mountains, at each end open, for an extra attack point

Matt

Post by Matt »

We now have a Dune 2000 map importer that does everything except guessing the right tile set so that is trial and error, but it should be much faster than re-doing them manually.

See also https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/7697 which has some more candidates that need sighting.