Country Specific Attributes.

Giving countries specific attributes.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Alanim

Country Specific Attributes.

Post by Alanim »

So, I just added the 5 original countries to Red Alert and I'm looking for where/how to add the attributes to give each country their specific advantage.

Currently the bonuses are as such
England - 10% thicker armor.(was broken in the original)
Germany - 10% higher firepower.
France - 10% faster firerate.(was broken in the original)
Ukraine - 10% faster vehicles
Russia/ussr - 10% lower buildcost

Any ideas?

Blarget2

Post by Blarget2 »

I like it. That would be a great add-on. It would fit play-styles.

Nukem

Post by Nukem »

What about Hungary? I believe Hungary was in there too.

Alanim

Post by Alanim »

Nukem wrote: What about Hungary? I believe Hungary was in there too.
Pretty confident they weren't, here's the attributes of the countries, and I'm pretty confident anything that doesn't have a bonus in a stat wasn't a selectable team.

I'd like to add another team for the soviets though, perhaps North Korea with +10% airspeed?

either way, I need to figure out where/how to put these attributes first :P

[England]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.1
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[Germany]
Firepower=1.1
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[France]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.1
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[Ukraine]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.1
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[USSR]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=0.9
BuildTime=1.0

[Greece]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[Turkey]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

[Spain]
Firepower=1.0
Groundspeed=1.0
Airspeed=1.0
Armor=1.0
ROF=1.0
Cost=1.0
BuildTime=1.0

Matt

Post by Matt »

There are no general modifier in OpenRA and in legacy RA I think they were bugged (weaker armor instead of stronger etc.) You can either code something new into OpenRA/OpenRA.Game/Traits/World/Country.cs or use the inheritance system. Just add new races in system.yaml, create new units by inheriting the soviet/allies ones and just add the traits you want to change (armor and owner for example). Have a look at OpenRA/mods/d2k/rules/atreides.yaml to see how I did it.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

If you were going to add another Soviet country, surely it would make more sense for it to be Byelorussia/Belarus rather than North Korea? I know it's picky, but RA was pretty much a European conflict.

And of course, North Korea was never officially a Soviet State ;)

Now, on the technical side, yes; what Matt says is (currently) the only possible method. This means you're going to be creating literally hundreds of unit definitions for all the proposed countries, which in turn means that tweaking things and making revisions of this mod is going to be a complete and utter bastard.

In all honesty, until there is a general modifier, the simplest (in the long run) thing to do would be giving each country a unique unit or two.

Alanim

Post by Alanim »

Cmd. Matt wrote: There are no general modifier in OpenRA and in legacy RA I think they were bugged (weaker armor instead of stronger etc.) You can either code something new into OpenRA/OpenRA.Game/Traits/World/Country.cs or use the inheritance system. Just add new races in system.yaml, create new units by inheriting the soviet/allies ones and just add the traits you want to change (armor and owner for example). Have a look at OpenRA/mods/d2k/rules/atreides.yaml to see how I did it.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll be doing it in country.cs, because currently using the inheritance system would take too long, and cause as mentioned already alot of bloat which would make modifying it again frustrating.

while it was bugged in the original red alert, you could fix it by just turning the 1.1s to 0.9, and only 2 of the factions were bugged.
BaronOfStuff wrote: If you were going to add another Soviet country, surely it would make more sense for it to be Byelorussia/Belarus rather than North Korea? I know it's picky, but RA was pretty much a European conflict.
I'll look into it :P thanks.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Add a faction called China that makes everything 5x cheaper but has 5x less health, damage, and speed. ;] Just kidding. Sounds interesting; was gonna add something similar to my mod, but there's no easy way to do it.

Alanim

Post by Alanim »

tacozmeister wrote: Add a faction called China that makes everything 5x cheaper but has 5x less health, damage, and speed. ;] Just kidding. Sounds interesting; was gonna add something similar to my mod, but there's no easy way to do it.
I planned to add that actually, I also plan to give france a trait which causes them to surrender if they're attacked.

Joking of course.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

I'd be in favor of unique units (2 per country?) for RA.

Czech Army 1

Post by Czech Army 1 »

I will be happy if it will be in release ...

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

chrisf wrote: I'd be in favor of unique units (2 per country?) for RA.
One infantry & one vehicle/aircraft/naval would be pretty cool. Although creating new infantry sprites from scratch would be a bit of a git to accomplish, given that they're about 500 frames. Conversions/lazy edits would probably be order of the day for that sort of thing.

And we could probably make Tanya a unique unit to save some time too.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

BaronOfStuff wrote:
One infantry & one vehicle/aircraft/naval would be pretty cool. Although creating new infantry sprites from scratch would be a bit of a git to accomplish, given that they're about 500 frames. Conversions/lazy edits would probably be order of the day for that sort of thing.

Infantry arent that hard to create. im good at it as youi can see here, may i can help with some. You have some ideas for units?

Im Current in Holidays / back at 02.08.

Czech Army 1

Post by Czech Army 1 »

CombineC wrote:
BaronOfStuff wrote:

Infantry arent that hard to create. im good at it as youi can see here, may i can help with some. You have some ideas for units?

Im Current in Holidays / back at 02.08.
what about terorist like in ra2. or general what will give buf to units around him and small heal

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Czech Army 1 wrote: what about terorist like in ra2. or general what will give buf to units around him and small heal
I don't really see much potential for Terrorist units, but then I don't really play online much so I can't say for sure. Could probably use a colour-edited C1/C2 for this purpose instead of working on a full new sprite set -- he'd only have to run up to a building and turn into a big explosion after all. A cameo icon would also be easy to make without having to resort to stealing from RA2, but then that one looks pretty Soviet to me...

The 'General' certainly is unique, and the SHP for that already exists in one of the MIX files. I'm not sure if the 'buff' idea is possible though. Would be a cool enough idea, but how exploitable/gamebreaking would it end up if it got in?

CombineC wrote: Infantry arent that hard to create. im good at it as youi can see here, may i can help with some. You have some ideas for units?
I don't doubt your ability at creating new infantry (or anything else, the speed at which you do this is unbelievable), but getting them to keep to the 'uniform' appearance of RA's infantry set would be the difficult bit. As for ideas, I've got a few worked out/in testing for my own stupid experiments at expanding the game:

Conscript -- Like Rifle Infantry, but cheaper, faster, and of course, weaker. These would probably act better as a replacement E1 unit for a Soviet country, rather than as an extra unit. If possible, a good way to make them worthwhile would be copying the Chinese 'Red Guard' production in Generals; two appear from the barracks with every complete 'Training' cycle.

Shotgunner -- Not entirely sure what I'm doing with this one, but overall I'm trying to make something roughly equivalent to the Soviet Grenadier, or at least an effective countermeasure to E1 rushes; an inexpensive 'crowd control' unit that can splat squads of men, but will get equally splatted by vehicles and does absolutely fuck-all against buildings. Fast and tough (compared to E1), but with a short range.

Stormtrooper -- Super-tough E1 units with increased speed, strength, firepower and range, not to mention some noticeable effect on even heavy armour (something similar to how a mass of E1 would destroy a tank in RA95). They need some way of showing that they're just that though, and my idea of player-coloured armbands isn't working well enough right now.