AI battles 010512

Battles between AI's

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
zypres1

AI battles 010512

Post by zypres1 »

Hi.

New AI's in the new playtest, thank you Earthpig and others..

I know other factors can change the outcome, but still, let the battle between AI's continue. AI's vs human will have other outcome, since aa is not needed in AI battles.
It's also possible to turn up speed to find the winner

Vegetation:
Easy AI
Hard AI
Rommel AI
Zhukov AI

Easy AI - offensive
Hard AI - offensive, building 6! radar domes
Rommel AI(winner) -building 3 teslas next to each other, offensive
Zhukov AI - defensiv, having a lot of men around inside the base, most ore trucks (over 20, most of them stuck), turning offensive after 20 min, then attacking with big army

All AI's spreading out base a lot
They all seems to build mostly the same in the first ?6 buildings

after 30 min, the problem with peaks in tick time starts, with "lags"
all AI's exept Zhukov have more than 1 radar dome..
Many trucks just standing around in map
Rommel the most base expanding
Zhukov not doing anything, trucks stuck and on ore
1:44:00 Easy and Zhukov taken out
1:51:00 Rommel takes out Hard AI and win

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

Thanks for playing with my dudes.

Zkukov isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I just wanted to try to bring some real variety to the table. I should probably go in and drastically reduce his ore truck and refinery production, and just have him be a nice slow turtle. I'm tempted to just take him out, for the time being.

I'm glad Rommel won.

Some things to consider: (known bug) all bots tend to build defensive structures primarily to the north of their construction yard, meaning those bots to the south have an advantage relative to those in the north. Best way to control for this in bot vs bot is to make them be east and west of each other, but not north or south.

(Until that is fixed: Ideally, this is also how you should play against bots as a human. Ideally, I or someone else would go through and make it so you can only place bots in the southern half of maps.)

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

Big thing on my to do list, if curious, is figure out WTF I did that got the AI to attack me with aircraft that one time with that one aircraft. Alas, I didn't see it as a big deal at the time and didn't keep track of what I'd done to stimulate that. It's easy to have bots build airfields and aircraft, just a bitch to get them to use them.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

Might I ask what you did to change AI behavior?

I remember modifying some files in original game years ago to make AI much harder, have it expand bases, build aircraft defences, special units and more.

Is it that easy to accomplish harder AI in OpenRA too, or do you have to rewrite AI behaviour subroutines?

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

Kanar wrote: Might I ask what you did to change AI behavior?

I remember modifying some files in original game years ago to make AI much harder, have it expand bases, build aircraft defences, special units and more.

Is it that easy to accomplish harder AI in OpenRA too, or do you have to rewrite AI behaviour subroutines?
If you just want to make a new bot, open up OpenRA/mods/ra/rules/system.yaml and play around. I'll save you some time: Yup, you can fix the overproduction of ore refineries by Hard AI in like 5 seconds... and you've just created a bot that gets stomped by Easy AI 5 minutes into the game. :P

If you want to change AI logic and 'thinking' in general (such as this one[1]), yeah you've got to actually play with the source code.

[1] https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2064[/url]

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

And what is it what you are trying to achieve?

As I can see three possible usages:

1) Have a harder AI to battle against (human vs machine)

2) To have an AI which supports the team in a case where there aren't enough human players

3) Have AI bots fight against each other : D

Just courious. :-)

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

1) Kind of treating OpenRA bot-wars as a spectator sport wherein I'm the 'owner' of a 'sports team.' Go team!
2) Pissing off a friend who plays. He doesn't like multiplayer, and likes playing the games versus a bunch of bots. The more he hates Rommel and gets frustrated, the happier I get.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

lol I see...

Kinda reminds me of this vid:

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/rob ... der-widget

:-)

Matt

Post by Matt »

There are in fact AI battles in Starcraft organised by universities using a self-made API for machine controlled matches. http://code.google.com/p/bwapi/wiki/Competitions

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

Setting:
Easy AI vs Hard AI vs Rommel Vs Zhukov, medium sized map.

Easy AI is defeated first, followed by Hard AI and later Zhukov.
Winer: Rommel after ~ 1.5 hours.