RA enhanced mod

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

katzsmile wrote: Try to use sharpen tool on icons
Huh, never thought about that. It does improve the image somewhat, I'll clean up these images.
draw text pixel-by-pixel
Always have done, complete with the text 'shadow'. It's all manual work with me.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Allied low tech "hobo-flak". An m113 with a vulcan minigun is the principal allied linebacker. It is flexible and pretty cheap. It has a long range, but at the fringes of its reach, expect massive inaccuracy. It can target its vicious gun against ground units, but with a severely reduced range (due to land features mostly not represented in RA like rolling ground and such). It is not a very effective against tanks, but can in a difficult situation be fired at infantry and light vehicles. But again, its not best suited for such roles.

--------------------

Allied stealth bomber. It is invisible like CNC stealth tank. It has to fly over the enemy target in order to engage it and when it drops its bomb, it is visible to the enemy. It can also be detected by AA turrets and interceptors at close ranges. Dunno about whether the shadow is visible to the enemy.

-------------

I have also charted out some game features.

Armor groups. Rather than the normal RA heavy, light, none and concrete armor types, I am expanding this a bit.

Ground armor types

MBT-type. This is the pinnacle armor type: MBT armor is often very heavy and composite with various materials in addition to steel like depleted uranium to add protection. MBT armor type includes T-80, allied MBT, allied super tank and possibly the ore miner. mbt type is virtually impervious to small arms fire, light rockets, etc-

Heavy-type. This armor type is for vehicles reasonably heavily armored with steel, i.e. med tank, T-72, BTR, BMP, etc.

Light-type. This type is for "soft-skinned" vehicles like jeeps, humvees, bdrms, trucks and so forth. These vehicles do not have much steel or other armor.

Concrete. This type includes most base buildings and defense structures including walls.

Earth. This type includes sandbags, hesco walls, hesco towers, pillboxes and some soviet buildings I have planned.

Air armor types.

Light. F-15, stealth bombers and migs and others fall under this group.

Heavy. Flying bathtubs like A10 fall into this group. They are not very vulnerable to cannon fire and missiles are required to have any reasonable effect on this armor type.
Last edited by bellator on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knivesron

Post by knivesron »

This is looking to be an awsome full time mod for openra and me and my mates just cannot wait untill a playtest comes out.

may i make a sugestion. its an idea thats been circling around my group a little bit. having multiple types of "ore". we were first thinknig of having tiberium and ore. but making tiberium the special one. making the tiberium refinery more high tech but the tiberium give alot more reward.

or maby have certain things that need ore and certian things that need tiberium for eg.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Update.

Completed Abrams tank, Bradley fighting vehicle, stealth interceptor and F16 multipurpose jet fighter,

like the Soviet IFV. bradley can transport 5 or so infantry, where the M113 can carry up 8-10. Bradley is armed with automatic 25 mm cannon that is reasonably effective against light vehicles and infantry, but only scratches heavier tanks. To attack tanks, it is equipped with two TOW missiles.

Last edited by bellator on Mon May 07, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Looks pretty damn good. I'll start on the cameos! ;)

bellator

Post by bellator »

ok, thanks. :D

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

Can you release what you're working with, so we can play/tinker/etc with it?

bellator

Post by bellator »

Soviet Airplanes. Somewhat wip.

SU 27 -- air superiority fighter

And, seen here in the left field, the Mig 29

I am also planning on adding some natural phenomena, including tornadoes.

Just kidding, That's actually some 400 migs in one "orbit". :lol:

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Have you considered getting an own moddb.com site for your mod?
Hail to the soviets!

bellator

Post by bellator »

Petrenko wrote: Have you considered getting an own moddb.com site for your mod?
No. Perhaps I will.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Here's some more cameos.

The text on each is in no way 'final', I still have the textless versions if you want any of them renamed.

Also, the four at the bottom of the image are simply the result of me getting carried away during 'a slow day at the office' and messing with other images, but I figured I should include them anyway.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Awesome stuff. :P

I'll probably use the leopard or patton icon for the allied 1 tier tank (i.e. ra med tnk)

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

After some thoughts (followed by a lot more procrastinating), I'm currently reworking the skies on some cameos; the white background looks somewhat jarring when compared to the rest of the image, and overall adds up to a far lesser quality than the original RA cameos.

In other words, they'll have coloured background skies like these (some stuff I've created for my own experimental/learning mod, which is something of an expansion to existing RA content), but not necessarily the same shades every time:

and

(They're both created from Challenger 2 images; the cameo resolution really does allow you to get away with calling them whatever you want though.)

Anyone who's interested in doing so, feel free to use these for yourself too.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Thanks for your work. I've been busy reading for entry exams, thus i haven't had time for modding.

But I'll finish this mod once I find the time: approx week from now.

bellator

Post by bellator »

I feel I need to apologize. I've been addicted by Crusader Kings 2 for some time now. It has been taking up my spare time. :drunk: