RA enhanced mod

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
bellator

RA enhanced mod

Post by bellator »

I am currently making a mod that changes the existing factions greatly, adding new units, replacing existing ones. But rather than just adding new units to the existing arsenals, I am changing game play and altering the strengths and weaknesses of the two factions.

New "military doctrines"

Rather than preserving the odd arsenals of RA1, my mod will reflect the actual doctrines of the Soviets and western Allies (US especially) more closely.

The soviet's main strengths are found in quantity, in cheap tanks and infantry, in strong artillery and good air defenses.

For example, the large unit you can see here, is inspired by BM 30 smerch, a soviet heavy missile artillery system.

This is the heaviest and the most powerful piece of equipment in the Soviet artillery arsenal. It fires a burst of six (v2 style) missiles over vast distance. But this is just the tip of the iceberg: the soviet faction will get two additional lower tier artillery systems: the BM 21 and 2S1 Gvozdika.

As for Soviet tanks, I am including T-72 and T-80 tanks, the former for quantity and the latter for quality. T-80 will be faster, better protected and more powerful, but will be costlier.

Soviet air forces will be probably be limited to migs and hinds.

I will add more about Soviet units later.

The Allies will find strength in costly quality units and a far superior air force. Their artillery will be less powerful, but quite accurate.

Allied tank fleet will have three units: the red alert medium tank will stand in for European first generation main battle tanks, like leopard 1 and patton m60: it will be inferior to soviet tanks, but available earlier than other allied tanks. The second (CnC1 medium tank model) will stand in for second generation NATO main battle tanks like MBT 70, Abrams and Leopard 2. It will be faster, better protected and deadlier than all soviet tanks, but very costly. The third allied tank (the mammoth with a new turret) will be an allied super tank, costly and quite slow, but capable of withstanding some serious soviet tank hordes.

Allied air power will consist of an interceptor (maybe f 15), the A10 for anti tank roles, and a tactical bomber to destroy buildings and other such targets.

I will be using some of the command and conquer 1 structure SHPs for allies in order to separate the two factions even further. The soviets bases will retain the RA1 structures, which appear cruder, more practical, while with CNC SHPs allied bases will appear more modern, with whizzbang techs and go-go gadgets, like Robert McNamara's wet dream or something.

Naval changes

Most likely Soviets will retain their subs, but definitely with performance changes.

While not a priority, naval gameplay will change. Ships will be much more expensive and far more difficult to destroy. They will also carry powerful weapons: even your destroyer will be capable of leveling bases on the shore: larger ships will have power projection deeper inland.

I wont be including carriers: I am trying to make the ships look nice and workable. So no battleships (i.e. "the cruiser"), but smaller ships such as destroyers, frigates, corvettes. These ships have enough firepower for ingame roles.

--------

Well, anyway, I will be updating this thread as I progress in my project. I will also take suggestions, etc.

zypres1

Sweet

Post by zypres1 »

Sweet. Thank you, can't wait...

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

I want to see S-300 :D

bellator

Post by bellator »

The 2S1 Gvozdika, together with Smerch lay down some artillery fire.

Finished T-72, finished for first release at least. also added spinny turrets on the 2S1: it also lifts its gun as it fires. The 2S1 will be a very mobile howitzer, capable of keeping up with main tanks, unlike the allied artillery but not quite as powerful.

as for S300, its unlikely. maybe buk m1.

also, I'd appreciate if someone would be kind enough to make icons for these units. Its simple, but would save my time :D

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Interesting take on the game... I look forward to seeing a test release of this for sure.

Also, I'll take care of any cameo requests. Do you want them in SHP or PCX/PNG format?

bellator

Post by bellator »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Interesting take on the game... I look forward to seeing a test release of this for sure.

Also, I'll take care of any cameo requests. Do you want them in SHP or PCX/PNG format?

well, SHP or PNG.

bellator

Post by bellator »

T-80 finished for first release (except for the barrel)

Blarget2

Post by Blarget2 »

i was wondering if you wanted a partner, maybe to make custom buildings and stuff.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Blarget2 wrote: i was wondering if you wanted a partner, maybe to make custom buildings and stuff.
Sure, though I am not sure yet what sort of custom buildings I will include.

I will probably replace the tesla coil, so if you have some ideas, go ahead.

bellator

Post by bellator »

Soviet APC finished, except for the turret. It can carry ten men.

Also, I made a better version of the T80, included here. It is the one with the antenna and a slightly different chassis,

bellator

Post by bellator »

Finished BTR.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Finished 5 cameos; I'll convert these to SHP if you're happy with them, and work on what needs improving otherwise.

Let me know if/when there is anything else. ;)

Blarget2

Post by Blarget2 »

the middle one was a failed attempt to 3d model a tesla coil.
it looks better up close

bellator

Post by bellator »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Finished 5 cameos; I'll convert these to SHP if you're happy with them, and work on what needs improving otherwise.

Let me know if/when there is anything else. ;)
ooo those are nice :eek: thanks.

Yeah, convert them and name the files:

BM30 = rsamicon
2S1 = gvoicon
t80 = 80tnkicon
t72 = 72tnkicon
and btricon
the middle one was a failed attempt to 3d model a tesla coil.
Oh you misunderstood :) I meant to say that I'll replace the tesla coil with something else. Nice model though, it could be reduced a little in size and the central column could be recolored.

bellator

Post by bellator »

I made new walls for allies. They're based on the Hesco Bastion, which is commonly used by americans in Afghanistan and elsewhere to protect their installations from rpgs and such.

Tipped with barbed wire of course.