[Units] Complete unit packages

Fuly configured unit sets with cameo, config et cetera

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
wusche1

[Units] Complete unit packages

Post by wusche1 »

Hi,

I think it might be very helpful not only to include the SHP files of the unit and the unit icon, but also the entire pacakge including unit configuration, sequence, weapon, voice etc config, sound files. Nothing uncomplete -- please post only stuff that has been tested and does not require any additional experimentation with the yaml files.

In doing so, it will be much easier to take up and include a unit into a mod/map etc and will greatly help new content creators to get going with OpenRa.

Please take the following post as an example on how to submit Your unit packages.
Last edited by wusche1 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wusche1

Infantry: Stealth Trooper

Post by wusche1 »

Mod: RA
Name: Ghost Recon
Category: Infantry
OpenRA version: 2011-1223 (playtest)

Comment: Example post featuring a simple copy of the E1 infantry. The unit is in the CnC infantry unit size. Has a high power medium range sniper rifle and thermooptical camouflage. Die-crushed bug from RA-entrenched has been fixed.
Attachments
ghostrecon.zip
Ghost Recon for RA (SHP, Icon, config and sound file.
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
e5_mod_wip.zip
Replacement for E1 SHP on the base of the E5 unit. WIP version, needs to be saved as PNG, is currently in TIF etc format.
(72.46 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Last edited by wusche1 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Use the scale trait on the render trait to have smaller infantry without to much work.

is photoshop able to replace colours? take the chemwarrior and make every greencolor grey so you would get a more ghost-recon like unit. also it got no big muzzle-flash, so the sniper-effect would be better.
Hail to the soviets!

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Petrenko wrote: Use the scale trait on the render trait to have smaller infantry without to much work.
True, that can be done. Did not think about it.
Petrenko wrote: is photoshop able to replace colours? take the chemwarrior and make every greencolor grey so you would get a more ghost-recon like unit. also it got no big muzzle-flash, so the sniper-effect would be better.
Yes, but for some reason I am not able to save the file into PNG. Very weird. I attached my wip files to the Ghost recon post, maybe someone else is more successful. E5 exctracted properly. Note that the colors are already replaced in this file.

twarpie

Post by twarpie »

Just an idea here: the moddb site has quite some (unfinished) mods for RA95 and CnC. See here for RA95 for example.

Many of these mods replace original units with new SHPs and cameos.

It might be worthwhile to check their work out, and see if (after proper permissions etc) these assets could be adapted for use in OpenRA. Some of these mods might even be convertible (although most include single player missions, for which conversion would be impossible right now).

At the very least you might get in contact with some skilled people, who know about unit creation and design.

Just as some examples:

raminator

Post by raminator »

here are some shps i uploaded a while ago...
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=15258

Matt

Post by Matt »

Upload it at http://content.open-ra.org/index.php?p=units This forum posts are hard to find for modders.