[gamemode] [RA] Combined Conquest

New game mode with tech trees and a single faction.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
wusche1

[gamemode] [RA] Combined Conquest

Post by wusche1 »

[align=center]COMBINED CONQUEST[/align]
[align=center]custom maps with a new game mode[/align]

Hi,

right now there is little documentation, so I will post the most important changes here:

Combined Conquest is a more complex Red Alert game mode than the out-of-the-box Conquest. It uses both allied and soviet assets in one single game faction and features simple but effective tech trees. Although the units and buildings are heavily customized, all You need is the Red Alert mod of OpenRa.

The idea is to add some tech trees to the game and make the gameplay more interesting for large scale maps such as Ares, Apollo or Poseidon. And of course, it is about the fun to fool around with funky stuff.

Most recent version:

version 2f (CC-v2f), tested with playtest 2011-1223

Install:

-- Extract the oramap files in the zip file and put the maps in Your /Openra/mods/ra/maps folder.

General Changes:

-- Soviets and allies can build all buildings (faction does not matter now), as introduced in the NFR (no faction rules) version 0.5 by Zypres
-- As of now, there are several tech buildings as of now, all embedded in a simple tree. All but one a buildable and give access to certain military assets.

Buildings:

-- A civilian tech building gives access to Tesla technologies ("HYPERTech")
-- oil derricks are hard to destroy and are repairible ("super oil derricks")
-- buildings gulp more energy
-- The small power plant is the only power plant in the game and has the stats of the advanced power plant

Units:

-- mine layers are weaker (AT has 1 mine, AP has 2 mines.)
-- Yak is now an all around attack plane (Air and ground attack). This is a Tier 1 Air Tech unit.
-- Mig is now an all air interceptor and uses Sidewinder missiles. This is a Tier 2 Air Tech unit.
-- A10 is now an all ground bomber and uses Maverick missiles. It is sturdier than the Mig. This is a Tier 2 Air Tech unit.
-- Artillery, V2, Mammoth, Heavy Tank, BMP have been distributed among the tech buildings
-- V2 is now a anti ship weapon
-- mammoth has ~25% more hitpoints.
-- most vehicles have a sight range of 4
-- the jeep and the mobile headquarter have a large sight radius
-- the only transport units are the APC, the Helicopter transport and the naval transport.
-- The Cruiser and the missile submarine are a little bit faster. The latter costs more and has torpedos and secondary weapon. The missile sub is a formidable opponent for any ship in short range, as it can use both missiles and torpedoes. When it comes to long range attacks, it only has missiles.
-- Tesla Trooper and Tesla Tank are cheaper, but only buildable with a special civilian tech building (MISS)
-- added thermooptical stealth sniper into paradrop based on stealth infantry (taken from ra-entrenched mod)

Special abilities

-- A special forces air drop is availible, containing an Tanya unit, a super dog, a medic, a engineer, a rocket trooper and a invisible man with a sniper rifle. The latter is only detectible by the mobile headquarters unit :)
-- The iron curtain and the chronosphere are bundled in one building, the paradox mashine.

List of Bugs:

Code: Select all

System.InvalidOperationException: Unit `s1` does not have a sequence `die-crushed`.

Cheers!

p.s. If You want this gamemode to evolve please give constructive feedback and have a look at the wishlist.

Wishlist:

[Done]: Please convert the PNG format cameos (7) posted in one of the most recent posts in this thread to SHP format and attach them to the forum. Thanks to Baronofstuff!

Downloads:
Attachments
CC-v2f_Poseidon_rev5x.oramap
CC version 1F of the map Poseidon.
(126.08 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
CC-v2f_Ares_rev2x.oramap
CC version 1F of the map Ares.
(122.44 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
CC-v2f_Apollo_rev2x.oramap
CC version 1F of the map Apollo.
(132.11 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Last edited by wusche1 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 68 times in total.

zypres1

Thank you

Post by zypres1 »

I will thank you from all players. This is the starting of making a great game more fun.

I do not agree with all the teching, but enjoy the new units, and another way of playing this game.
  • What I like the most
  • whole new experience
  • new units.. Fun
  • new aiirdrops
  • finding new stuff to build
  • one faction, no unfair advantages
  • reduced mines
  • yak and air combats are cool
  • changes to naval combat
  • What I dislike the most
  • too many tech buildings, why not start with all
  • only this map, wants to try it out on another map
  • superweapons still there
  • greenadier first as option (bug?)
Others: The nuke did not need to be re-activated

I'm looking forward to more amazing maps and mods from you, this inspires new modders and show how the game can be used.

wusche1

Re: Thank you

Post by wusche1 »

zypres1 wrote: I will thank you from all players. This is the starting of making a great game more fun.
Thanks. It was some fun to fool around here and there as well.
zypres1 wrote: I do not agree with all the teching, but enjoy the new units, and another way of playing this game.
Well, maybe You will agree more with some changes when You understand the intention. See below:
zypres1 wrote:
  • What I dislike the most
  • too many tech buildings, why not start with all
  • only this map, wants to try it out on another map
  • superweapons still there
  • greenadier first as option (bug?)
Others: The nuke did not need to be re-activated
Tech Centers:
The idea too have different tech buildings is to make the gameplay less linear: Is he going to invest 2000 ore to get V2s, Flame Troopers and Flame Turrents, or should he better try to invest that money into air force tech (1500 Ore)? Likewise, should he concentrate himself on Mammoth Tanks and Heavy Tanks, drastically increasing the he can deal in choke points and smaller areas of the map, or should he go for advanced naval units such as the cruiser and the missile sub? Moreover, the first tech center would allow him to build a nuke silo, while the latter would stress his patience in the declining counter of the GPS timer. Or is it better to have the Tesla Tech Center, that is a power plant and grants access to the dreaded Tesla towers? Or should it be the funky Covert Operations he should strive for? ...

More maps:
See above! (:

Super-weapons:
Do add some funky flavour to the game. But they need to be nerfed. This is what I did when I increased the charge times significantly.

Grenadier
has been dealt with ..

zypres1 wrote: I'm looking forward to more amazing maps and mods from you, this inspires new modders and show how the game can be used.
Thank You for the kind feedback. It is important to get more information to make further balancing changes: e.g. how do the air planes fare against each other early, middle late game? How is early, middle late game dependent on the number of recources.

I have created the fourth version of the first map, Ares, and modified four further maps for Your enjoyment. Please re-download the maps and.. have fun.

Oh, and while I am there: It would help a lot if someone could extract and modify some game graphics for the tech centers. I have listed them in my "wishlist" above. My plan is to replace the inscriptions of the different tech buildings so that they are not as confusing as they are now!

Cheers!

twarpie

Re: [gamemode] [RA] Combined Conquest

Post by twarpie »

wusche1 wrote: Wishlist

I need the following structure icons extracted and posted in png format: Allied Tech Center, Soviet Tech Center, Gap Generator, Chronosphere, Advanced Power Plant, Iron Curtain.
Some time ago Harisson posted an archive with a bunch of textless cameos, see this thread.

Using XCC Mixer you could easily extract any cameo you want. Use any of the available tools to add the text at the bottom (SHP Builder can do it, but there are probably other tools).

I've attached the ATEK cameo as png.
Attachments
atekicon 000.png
atekicon 000.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 15001 times

wusche1

Re: [gamemode] [RA] Combined Conquest

Post by wusche1 »

twarpie wrote: Some time ago Harisson posted an archive with a bunch of textless cameos, see this thread.

Using XCC Mixer you could easily extract any cameo you want. Use any of the available tools to add the text at the bottom (SHP Builder can do it, but there are probably other tools).
Hello twarpie,

this should do it. Thank You very much for Your help! I will implement these pictures into the future versions once I get more feedback on gameplay aspects of this game mode.

Cheers!

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

If you'd like, I could add the necessary text for each cameo. Unless of course you want to leave them blank.

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

There is also some stuff I want to fix/change in the future releases:

• Funky to do list:

-- To do
+- partly done
++ done :)

Here we go:

++ Special Forces Mission does not work if one builds air field before "Covert Ops Chrono", as it is called now. Probably need to remove the normal paradrop.
++ drop V2, introduce V3 (Long Range Anti surface ship missile launcher) with optional attack on buildings.
-- Find out if it possible to introduce an upgrade window in the construction menue e.g. EITHER to buy certain tech units that will constructable by the player once bought, OR to use it for the tech buildings.
-- Check if the Hawkeye local GPS is implementable.
+- Add Volkov to Special Forces Mission and replace the dog in the paradrop with Chitzkoi. [i]Chitzkoi has been added in the form of a paradropable super-dog.[/i]
-- Modify Apache for to become an Anti Sub Warfare unit, with optional but weaker attack on ground and air targets.
-- Modify Hind for Ground Warfare
-- Make TRAN faster
+- test air dogfighting more and balance it if necessary. [i]Partly done.[/i]
++ Merge iron curtain and chrono in one building ("Building X")
++ Make Tesla technology external (need to capture MISS for that) and make it more worthwhile to capture and hold that building.

and more:

-- Fiddle around with air defenses.
-- Make Tanya not buildable (just paradrop), add commando unit from CnC
++ Give missile sub speed 3 instead of 2. Maybe it is more attractive to players then.
-- test the sub commando transport
-- Try to import the ORCA from CnC
-- rename HYPERTECH to TESLATECH
-- add new cameo for V2 launcher with new inscription (V2 Anti Ship)
-- Try to import the cruiser ship froM CnC
-- Try to incorporate the Iion Cannon into Allied Tech Center after launch
-- change special forces paradrop a little

and more:

-- think about move Spec Ops Paradrop to General Staff once ion cannon is moved
-- Add commando unit (YF? CnC) and remove tanya from building queue
-- Get some gameplay feedback :)
-- Balance some prices.
-- Make automatic converter to convert normal maps to CC maps.
-- crunch some numbers
-- start working with version control
-- hope large map pathing gets fixed..
+- get more people to help You.. ;)

As You can see, there is plenty of ideas what still can be done to that gamemode (=
Cheers :)
Attachments
Cc-v2f_Ares_rev2x_wip.zip
Backup of development. DO NOT DOWNLOAD. Does not work properly due to bug in code (reported now) and some other problems. Use the downloads in the first post instead.
(568.62 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Last edited by wusche1 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

wusche1 wrote: Sure, that would be great! I would like to use slightly other names as currently in the mini-mod, though, if that would be possible.

GAP: Air Control System
IRON: Adv. Tech Center
PDOX: Paradox Mashine
ATEK: Strategic Command (or "StratCom" if the first is too long)
STEK: Army HQ
APWR: Tech Center
No problem. I've also got some other cameos for stuff like the A-10 (white text, focused on one plane) and some other units/structures, and can easily create more.

Are you going to add any other new units? I've got some SHP's that I could clean up if you want to use these too (Tank Destroyer, Missile APC, etc).

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Been quite busy in the last days, so there is no news on CC.

BaronOfStuff wrote:
No problem. I've also got some other cameos for stuff like the A-10 (white text, focused on one plane) and some other units/structures, and can easily create more.

Are you going to add any other new units? I've got some SHP's that I could clean up if you want to use these too (Tank Destroyer, Missile APC, etc).
Yes, everthing is the best when published in the ready-to-use SHP format. Yes, I would be interested to replace the A10 cameo with Yours. Could You publish the tech center cameos here?

I do plan to add some units, and change the tech tree even more. First, I need to think about how I would like to have game balance altered. I would advise to dump Your stuff in the forum - I think there is even a thread for new units. Unfortunatly, they do not seem to be animated.

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Here is a zip archive with PNG camoes that I hope someone can convert to SHP format. I had a lot of troubles to do so due to the awkward configuration of XCC mixer and some incompatibilities when using SHP Builder.
Attachments
convert_png2shp.zip
Please convert to SHP
(33.56 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
convert_2.zip
More camoes for convertion to SHP format.
(10.14 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Last edited by wusche1 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Haha, these are better than my efforts; I was trying to stick to using one line for the text.

I'll convert these to SHP format now.

EDIT: Here we go!
Attachments
ComConqCameos.zip
SHP Format, pre-paletted and cleaned.
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
a10bicon.shp
And the A-10 Cameo is here (SHP Format)
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Great stuff! :) Thank You very much for Your help!!!

Any chance I could get one more :) Are You in chat? I could use some help with some of the features I plan to implement into the mini-mod.
Attachments
Please convert one more :)
Please convert one more :)
mhqicon0000.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 14779 times

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Ta-da!
Attachments
mhqicon.shp
Paletted, cleaned, and ready to go!
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

Fixed a bunch of bugs with release 2.

twarpie

Post by twarpie »

wusche1 wrote: Fixed a bunch of bugs with release 2.
Looks good.

May I suggest a 'fix open areas' on Ares?